rAge 2014

Comments

• Good luck with all your games at Rage this year, unfortunately I won't make it.
    This is a great effort for the community!
  • The list has been updated, congratulations to the guys who games were selected. Hopefully we can have more space next year to show off more games.

• edited
    Great, awesome, splendid. Thanks :)

But, FYI, we're not confirmed attending yet :P Still waiting to hear who's gonna be up there this year, and decide whether rAge is a good thing to fork out for, or if we'd be better off just heading up (or down) for a meetup instead of the chaos of an exhibition floor :) Anyone have any thoughts on that?
  • Congrats to the people that made the list!
  • Great, awesome, splendid. Thanks :)

But, FYI, we're not confirmed attending yet :P Still waiting to hear who's gonna be up there this year, and decide whether rAge is a good thing to fork out for, or if we'd be better off just heading up (or down) for a meetup instead of the chaos of an exhibition floor :) Anyone have any thoughts on that?
    If you you don't know why you should go there or anywhere, then don't. Any money invested in marketing should really be outcome based.

Exhibitions are like X meetups back to back, interspersed with talking to press and people who've played your game. I'd say they're better than meetups, because you get to hang out with fellow devs and creators after the floor closes and really interact with your audience while the show is going on.

I'm not going to say that rAge is better than something like AMAZE (they're different beasts, rAge won't have talks and workshops to stretch your mind and more people that aren't devs playing your stuff), but IMHO you should go to every event you can get to. Especially if you don't know why you'd be going, that's how you collect new experiences. And really, getting to rAge isn't difficult compared to trying to get to GDC or Gamescom or anything else overseas.

Going to festivals really isn't a marketing cost - it's an investment in your own energy levels.
  • Awesome! We're very exciting to be showing, thanks again to the organisers for the opportunity.

To those of you who have done this before, do you have any recommendations on what to prepare for? I'm specifically thinking of how many flyers,bushiness cards,t-shirts, etc. we should bring? What are the numbers like?

@dislekcia gave a very cool talk on doing shows at the last meetup, and will definitely be thinking through that again. I'm more asking of the numbers specific to rAge/the MGSA booth.
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • Siick!! I'm pumped.

@tbulford What are the screen resolutions?
  • SUGBOERIE said:
    @tbulford What are the screen resolutions?
    I will have to get back to you on that. I am sure you can assume at least 1080.

If the JHB meetup is on the second Tuesday of the month as it usually is, then you can attend both rAge and the October meet, all in one trip. :)
  • @Riocide we had 33k visitors to the show last year, and we're expecting at least a 10% increase this year. We also see a lot of media there, I think the count last year was a little over 300.
  • Does anyone know how I could try get a Table Top game at Rage?
  • @Cheatsi no table-top games at the home_coded/MGSA stand, but maybe reach out to Outer Limits or some of the other board game retailers and see if they have any plans to have demos this year.
  • Does anyone know if Oculus related games/demos will be making a show at Rage this year?
  • silvaring said:
    Does anyone know if Oculus related games/demos will be making a show at Rage this year?
    None from the MGSA stand to my knowledge I can speak for the whole show.

• @Cheatsi: You can always commandeer a table in the food court and rock out :)
    Thanked by 1Cheatsi
  • Thanks@Tbulford. I spoke to Cheryl at Rage and she wasn't aware of any people exhibiting the RIFT at Rage. Would there be any space for a RIFT at the MGSA stand?
  • silvaring said:
    Thanks@Tbulford. I spoke to Cheryl at Rage and she wasn't aware of any people exhibiting the RIFT at Rage. Would there be any space for a RIFT at the MGSA stand?
    There is no space currently.

• Hahaha @dislekcia that was my plan A but i can announce that I got a table at rage now so its all good in the hood
  • Quick dev question. To what extent do the controls of the games need to be configurable? Is it acceptable if we change/add values in code? And then also, what exactly are the controllers that are going to be available?
  • Riocide said:
    Quick dev question. To what extent do the controls of the games need to be configurable? Is it acceptable if we change/add values in code? And then also, what exactly are the controllers that are going to be available?
    These are the controllers we have. If you need a load unit to configure for let me know. That having been said you really should consider adding configurable controls to your game.

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthread.php?23803-Logic3-JP283-Controller

• Right, attempting to book flights, etc. We're currently thinking Friday to Saturday morning. Is this a good time? Will everyone be there then, or are we better off on Sat-Sun, or Sun-Mon?
  • Myself and @francoisvn will be there throughout the event. Flying up Thursday morning and back down on Monday afternoon.
  • edited
    @ShadowBlade: Friday is generally quiet (barring students, exhibitors, and folks who took the day off work), picking up towards the afternoon as people get off work/school. If maximum crowd exposure and community interaction is your aim, Saturday's your golden day (especially for the after-show meetups that happen), Sunday's your silver.
  • Ok, cool. Shall see what I can get. Thanks chaps :)
  • So we're thinking of contacting some press before rAge. Does anyone have a presslist? Or should I contact the organisers directly?
  • Wow, it's pretty pricey just to visit rAge...

I think I'll just feel like a bug eyed hillbilly staggering uselessly around the crowded exhibition floor.

Hopefully we'll meet some of the other people in game dev. That's what I'm interested in, otherwise I don't know...
  • @DarkCarnivour Big stand with games and devs there with their games. Pretty sure you'll meet a couple or dozen or some multiple of ten devs there ;)

Will be dropping my rAge threads tomorrow, so hopefully that will help everything be a bit more organized ;)
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • So I've made a thread for devs, and minions, at rAge. If you are showing a game and attending please post there so I can organize tags for you guys to get in!
  • Great to see all the devs and games making it to the stand this year! EGMR (or eGamer) will be attending this year, I'll be there of course. If anyone is keen for an interview, etc for the site please don't hesitate to contact me, or alternatively we can organise something at the event. You can message me here and contact me at adam@egamer.co.za. I can't wait too see everyone's hard work!
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • Looking forward to it guys. :D
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • Day 1 down! Was a quiet and awesome dress rehearsal - thanks to everyone for making it a good day, tomorrow is going to be off the rails so get some rest! :)

BEAT BEAT BEATBEAT BEAT BEAT BEAT BEATBEAT BEAT BEAT BEAT BEATBEAT BEAT BEAT BEAT BEAT BEATBEAT :3
  • edited
    Gah. A friend gave me a lift to rAge today, and when I got home, I couldn't find my car keys. There's a chance I dropped them while taking off my jacket or something at the home.coded stand... if you see it, please let me know?

They're Toyota keys with a yellow Mario star hanging on them. Thanks!

[edit] Whew. @Tuism found them at rAge. :P
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Thanks to all the guys who put so much effort into organising the event this year (@Karuji was a beast). It was awesome meeting all of the Johannesburg peeps, I hope I get the chance to hang out with you guys again soon, it was a blast!

• edited
    'grats to everyone. The stand was pretty spiffy, and it was good to get some one-on-one feedback and discussion in on the games. I think all of them are looking great, and I hope you guys got enough solid feedback and interest to recharge the ol' motivation-batteries. :)

Also, more people need to annoy @Asbestos into getting Clutchfighter done. Best game-of-show-that-nobody's-heard-of, hands down. It NEEEDS to be released.
  • So anybody wanna fill me in? It sounded pretty awesome and I totally wish I could have been there...

Also thanks to everyone that helped organise. Organising things is a ton of hard work. And also thanks to whomever may have looked after Cadence. (especially @karuji)!

Thanked by 2Karuji hanli
  • It's been 22 hours since rAge ended. I've been in a coma for 16 of those.

So firstly thanks everyone. We stand on the shoulders of giants and without MGSA nothing at rAge would have had an inkling of happening. So in being part of this community you have helped with our games being shown!

But I'm still going to throw a whole bunch of specific thanks out.

Firstly I think we need to change the lyrics to the Ghostbuster's theme. Since the answer tho who you gonna call is definitely Nick! I wouldn't want to begin to imagine how things would have ended up if we didn't constantly have him to rely on. So like everyone please give him a hug or a bear, his discretion which ;)

Travis spent quite a few months organizing the stand, and set the ground work, foundations, and building for what grew into our stand. So many thanks for having done all that. And sorry for mixing build and growing metaphors >.>

Minions! Minions are the best, like a million thanks to you guys who gave up your time to help out! Like I really can't thank you guys for that and all the help you gave during the show.

And last, but definitely not least, the devs. All of this was about showing off your games, but for me the best part was having you all there. It was really great to have Ruan (from Free Lives) Nolan and Logan (from Rune Storm) Michael (from Thoopid) and Leon and Francois (from Clockwork Acorn). But ultimately just everyone was just great and I'll try and make sure the Saturday meeting runs a bit smoother next year ;)

An extra special thanks to Francois and Leon for helping set up the computer and getting everything running on that front. I really would haven't managed without you guys. And thanks to Ruan for donating the speakers and amp he used for the Broforce stand to MGSA.

---

@TheFuntastic everyone helped and made sure Cadence got the love it deserved, I just somehow ended up doing it with journalists ;) I'm rather sad that we couldn't get the audio out running through both speakers and the headset though :<

P.S. In the event that MGSA adds titles for forum accounts I totally want "Gets shit done" or "Keeper of the Speakers" I currently have A LOT of speakers @.@
  • edited
    Hehe "Keeper of the Speakers", was wondering what happens to all those cheap speakers @Tuism and I managed to find at the last minute. At least we were able to get them working in a fairly audible manner :)
    Thanked by 1LexAquillia
  • On the plus side MGSA now owns 10 speakers for future events. @Tuism you must DM me how much I owe you
  • Yes I shall get that to you right away sir :)

SPEAKERRZ FOR EVERYWONNN! (I believe Free Lives also gifted us with a huge pair?)
  • Might I present the speakocolypse?

IMG_20141013_181928.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
  • It's great to see all the positive feedback. My only regret was been as busy as I was not geting time to explore the games more and to catch up with everyone.

Thank you to @Karuji for getting all the minions and stand running well. I was not aware how much you picked up Nick we didn't get much of a chance to chat.
    Thanked by 2Karuji hanli
  • After a nice bumpy flight home through the thunderstorms, we're back in our dungeon lair.
    rAge was an interesting experience. An interesting, chaotic, dubstep blasting, senses numbing experience.
    A lot of what I expected, some in an ever so slightly different flavor and a bit of a bit less than what I expected.

The highlight was certainly fulfilling our mission parameter to make contact with the human agents in the sector.

Thanks to @Karuji and everyone who got it all up and running, hopefully you all got some rest. You now have just under a year to stockpile enough red bull for the next one.

I'm not sure if rAge is really my kind of thing. I'm more looking forward to more dev oriented events. I'm still glad we got a chance to see what rAge was all about.
    Thanked by 3Karuji hanli MattMac
  • I'm not sure if rAge is really my kind of thing. I'm more looking forward to more dev oriented events. I'm still glad we got a chance to see what rAge was all about.
    Was great meeting you guys. I really think AMAZE would suit you guys well. Consider that for next year.

• Brilliant event. Loved it. Thanks Travis and Gustavo + Jeff for sponsoring and organising the event. It was really slick and ran with no hiccups - I hope it opens doors for everybody who was there and took part.
    Thanked by 2Chris_Bischoff hanli

• I'm not sure if rAge is really my kind of thing. I'm more looking forward to more dev oriented events. I'm still glad we got a chance to see what rAge was all about.
    Should definitely look at coming to AMaze then ;)

---

BTW if anyone is curious: the floor at rAge is more comfy than it looks.

Photo courtesy of @Tuism ;)
    Napping at rAge 2014.jpg
    720 x 960 - 92K
    Thanked by 2Tuism garethf
  • A few hundred more Speakocalypses and we may be able to rival the Telkom stand for skull-fracturing noise. Get cracking on that, chaps. :P
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • Gazza_N said:
    A few hundred more Speakocalypses and we may be able to rival the Telkom stand for skull-fracturing noise. Get cracking on that, chaps. :P
    I think this year it was ASUS that we needed to rival although I think it was more an issue on the side of the stand we had.

Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    rAge Press

Got a lot of press this year, yay! Still expecting some more from the mainstream sites. Including individual video interviews and high level coverage.

"Meet After Robot, a board game about South African teksis" - by HTXT.Africa

Short interview with @Kobusvdwalt9 about MONTEZ - SA Gamer

"SA Games Industry Growing Up" - Tech Central

Interview with @Lexaquilla about MGSA - Rite Studios

"Local gaming heroes rAge on" - Arthur Goldstuck for Gadget.co.za

Brief mention of stand and how amazing Cadence is - IGN Africa Podcast

"Top 5 home coded video games in SA" - ENCA