[Ludum Dare] Nexxuz

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=10871

Daaaangit, did not quite finish, but what's there is servicable enough.

Thanked by 1iceblademush

Comments

• Looks great, kind of a minecraft meets Zaxxon? :)
  • Had a lot of fun with this. Very enjoyable mechanic and brilliant idea with the minecraft constructed graphics! I'd love to have seen the idea perused with a uniform scale between blocks. I think this would look amazing. But yeah, also get that you had a bunch of kids building things, some bigger than others. I liked the way your bullets acted as light sources - that was a great touch.

Into sequence looked great too! Such a pity you ran out of time to include it.

Overall a pretty amazing LD submission in my books. Well done to you and everyone involved!
  • So there I was, fixing up the post-jam game, and I thought to myself, "Self, what is the absolute cheesiest, dumbest thing you could possibly add to this game? SCREEN SHAKE!"

Also, different camera angle, muzzle flashes, explosion shockwave.
  • edited
    @rustybroomhandle

Man this is great. The music. The LEGO feel. Note me avoiding Minecraft references now that Microsoft has made a speculative Mojang move. I love how the lazer lights up their little faces before impact... and damn you for ending the video just as the giant Octo-boss? makes an entrance... grrrr. Brilliant and tanks for sharing.

Edit: I'd love to see an arcade game like this with an elaborate story campaign, where power-ups/enemies are slowly introduced - hard won (rogue-like?). Where the story unfolds gradually. There is purpose. Maybe choice and consequence in mission selection. A tear shed. Is it even possible in this genre? :) Slap fight like upgrades? Maybe a Raptor like epic feel? Sir, I am inspired.

PS: *They* (us?) should bring back the 20 cent arcade machines. Gaming has become "cheap". I want to drop my Bitcoin token into the game and have REAL buy-in...could history repeat itself? Hey, there's an idea~
  • Heh, the voxel art was actually built in Minecraft by people on our Mc server ranging in age from 7 to 40+