[Prototype] Morpheus - Procedural Spell Generation

edited in Projects
Hey guys,

Our new prototype for this week is another foray into exploring a specific mechanic idea. We’re not sure if this can be a game on its own, but it can definitely make for an interesting mechanic in a larger game.

Play it here:
http://clockworkacorn.com/games/morpheus/#play

In this prototype spells are generated procedurally for the player character to use in a swarm defense game. Think crimsonland with randomly generated special abilities. The idea started off with how to randomly generate heroes for a game like dota, as I enjoyed figuring out how to combo abilities with one another. Some potential depth is lost in single player though.

Focused Feedback:
[list=1]
[*] Do you feel like the combinations of abilities you were given were interesting enough?
[*] Were the details of what the abilities do communicated well enough? Could you figure it as you went along? Any suggestions on how to do this better?
[/list]

Comments

• Tried it, think its a cool concept, but right now there is not enough visual feedback as to what the abilities do, also i played till level 9 about 3 times, and the only interesting thing i saw was a spell that bounces off other enemies. The glyphs system could be interesting, as they could give clues to what each does, or you could even overlap glyphs, think photoshop layers?

so
    1: I need to play it more, but not yet. Also the glyphs seem to replace rather than stack?
    2: No, it was trial and error, and read above

Overall the concept is great, i can imagine almost perks being added to your character over time, for example do you go with lifedrain or enchance electrical damage, perhaps in addition to the spells? So that could also determine your pickups. Maybe also more glyphs to pick up, so you can choose.

I also think i need to play it a bit more to give better feedback, these were just my initial first impression.