[Portfolio] Cool Your Jets - Design and Animation

edited in Portfolios
Good news everyone! @MattMac and I have just launched a new showreel and website for our design company, Cool Your Jets!

Showreel!

Website!

Is the pixel art intro a dead give away that all we really want to do is make games?

Also of interest to the community may be the first appearance of Burgerkitten! He's the hero of an action platformer we've been prototyping - look out for the little guy at 01:26 in the reel!

Comments

• We're super excited about this, and as Ben mentioned, particularly the pixel art aspect of the reel! :)
    Hopefully this gives a good taste of some of what we're going to be bringing to the game world!

• Wait, Burgerkitten? Is that the Moose... Thing that we saw last night? That was AAAAAMAAAZING :D
  • Awesome showreel! Very diverse mix and it definitely manages to pull you along...good choice of music too
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Thanks so much for the feedback @Mexicanopiumdog! Great to hear you liked it!

@Tuism, Burgerkitten isn't a moose, he's a cat! Not sure who's amazing work you saw, but it wasn't us. Sounds good though. I do like a good moose!
  • Hey there,

Good work, loving the pixel art.
    Do you guys have a twitter account I can follow?
  • Thanks @Josh!

As a part of this recent updated we've just launched a twitter for the company:
    @CoolYourJets_SA
    Very little up there so far, but will make a point of sharing bits and pieces of what we're busy with.

For more random tweets about various things, my personal account is @Ben_Rausch

Thanks again for the encouraging feedback!
  • edited
    Love the showreel! Oozes style!

Would I be mistaken in thinking someone on your team has at some point been watching Justice DVNO on repeat? (A crime that I have to admit that I'm guilty of myself)

I'd love to try out burger kitten when he/she is ready. Seems like he/she is spending a lot of time experimenting on scientist's in the video (something I can get behind!) :)
  • Ah, thanks @BlackShipsFilltheSky! You're too kind!

Well spotted; both @MattMac and I are huge fans of the DVNO video & the 70s/80s motion graphics that they referenced in it!

Glad you're keen to try out Burgerkitten! Good guess, but it's in fact the scientists that experiment on her in the story. That is, until she breaks free and creates a ketchup-splattered trail of revenge!

We've got a very rough prototype of the first two stages built with Construct 2. Have subsequently realised Construct really isn't the best for us going forward though, so may start over with Game Salad. May just hold out and rather share that once we get it together. Either way, will drop you a DM once we have something up to play!

• @Tuism Moose thing was Mike Scott. And Shh, we're not supposed to know about that! ;)

@BenJets you should probably hit up Mike Scott and see where he's at. Doing some AMAZEBALLS pixel animation stuff.
    There was this thread a while ago. Also Mike presented at the last meetup you missed. You guys should definitely chat ;)
    http://www.makegamessa.com/discussion/832/hiring-looking-for-cape-town-2d-pixel-artists-animators/p1
  • @TheFuntastic - thanks for the thought in pointing me in @mikdog's direction! I actually recently became cyber-pals with him thanks to a mutual friend's late night chip-tune related status update. Really love his work and yeah, seems we're into heaps of the same sort of stuff!
  • Since introducing ourselves to the community with this thread , It's been a busy year and a half for Cool Your Jets! We've been involved in some great game-related projects, and when I get the time, I'd love to gather these into one post. We've also got some exciting plans for the future, and I'm looking forward to sharing these with everyone.

For now, I just wanted to drop by and make a quick post, linking you to our latest effort; the trailer for Starward Rogue, a new game by the US studio, Arcen Games.

Watch the Starward Rogue trailer here!

We had a blast putting this together and we're very excited about the next trailer we have in production.

I hope to check in soon and share that full list of links to our game-related projects. Till then!