[prototype] We Built This City on Rock And Roll

edited in General
Update Aug 13, post meetup playtesting

2 - 4 players
Play time 10 min
Many many d6 dice. I have about 30.
A game of chance management and dice citybuilding.

Streamlined the mechanic a fair bit, with both sides being governed by the same mechanic:
The value of the stack you build up = the value of the dice + dice under it.
Based on this, you must build your resource generating city and your resource values to be productive. Will you build high-value tower that are slow but rise above the slums of the smaller city? Which is more productive?

it seems to work a lot better now, though explaining it seems to still be difficult.

Please check out the PDF and give it a play :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15257303/game_dev/City_Rock_n_roll/WeBuiltThisCityOnRockAndRoll.pdf

----------------------
original post
----------------------

2 - 4 players
Play time 10 min
Requires: ALL THE d6 DICE. Dunno how many yet really. 20 or so?

I tweeted about a dice game I thought up, and I said I'd post it, but then in playtesting I discovered it was a flawed from a lack of player agency point of view. So I took a little bit more time to think about it... Added more options :)

I'd like to see if people like the idea of this concept :)

Guys with tons of dice lying about, this is it :P

Premise:
Everything in this game is dice. Your dice belong in two pools - the Money Grid and the City Grid.
Dice in the money grid does one thing - when you roll right, it can be spent to build your city.
Dice in the city does two things - 1) when anyone rolls right, they produce more money. 2) They count as points - the higher you build, the bigger their point value.

The PDF contains a black and white A4 that can be cut into two playmats. Each playmat looks like this:

*-- Image is out of date --*

Thanks for checking it out :)
pdf
pdf
Dice_City.pdf
Dice City.jpg
597 x 433 - 767K

Comments

• Annnd here's the full written out rules, in case the minimised playmat doesn't make complete sense:
    Goal:

The goal of the game is to build the most extravagant city of dice, worth 15 points.
    Your city is built by dice.

Dice in the city grid are worth points: Each dice in your city is worth as many points as their height - a two-level tower is worth 3 points, for example: 1 dice is worth 1 point. A building of two dice is worth 3 points altogether, a building of 3 dice is worth 6 points altogether.

Each tower of dice in the city grid (called a Building) has a Production value. A Building with only one dice, has Production value equal to its face value. For every dice under the first, add 3 to the Production value.

Setup:

The bank: A reserve of many standard six-sided die (haven’t decided how many yet)
    Each player has their own playmat (divided into the money grid and the city grid)
    Each player starts with one dice in the money grid and two in the city grid.
    Each player chooses which side of their two dice is face-up in the city grid, and then rolls their money dice and keeps that value in the money grid.

Turn sequence:

1. Economy:

On your turn, start by rolling dice from the bank, this is called the Economy Roll. You may roll as many dice as you have levels in your city. (so if the tallest building you have is 3 dice, you may roll 3 dice)

2. For every player, for each of their Building’s Production value equalling the total of the Economy Roll, take one dice. They may:
    A. Roll these dice PLUS all their money dice and add them all to their money grid, OR
    B. Roll only the new dice and add them to their money grid.

3. For the active player, if any of their money dice is the same face as any of the Economy Roll, they may add the dice to their city, on the ground floor or on top of another dice, without changing its face.

4. If the active player did not get a match in either of the above scenarios, they may do one of the following:

A. Decrease or increase the value of one dice in an opponent’s city grid by decreasing or increasing the value of one of your own money dice by the same amount.
    OR
    B. Pick up and set one of their own money or city dice to a value they desire (without changing its position)
  • So I've read the rules a few times now, but I'm still slightly confused as to what is supposed to happen.

Rule 2 is the one that gets me. Where do I take the dice from? How do I add them to my money grid? Does it just mean I put them in my grid to stay at their currently rolled value?

The rules seems simple enough, but I can't seem to figure out what the flow of the game should be. I'll try to get someone to play with me today, maybe that will help.
  • The dice that are "produced" from the city come from the bank of dice, I don't know how many yet, but it's assumed to be infinite... For now. I have 82 dice at home :P

And yes you add them to your money grid - but there's a choice when you add money dice - you can roll just the new ones you got and add that to the grid, or reroll all your money dice including the one/s you just got.

Thanks for looking! I look forward to playtesting it with other guys too :D AND improving the rules :)
  • Update Aug 13, post meetup playtesting

2 - 4 players
    Play time 10 min
    Many many d6 dice. I have about 30.

Streamlined the mechanic a fair bit, with both sides being governed by the same mechanic:
    The value of the stack you build up = the value of the dice + dice under it.
    Based on this, you must build your resource generating city and your resource values to be productive. Will you build high-value tower that are slow but rise above the slums of the smaller city? Which is more productive?

it seems to work a lot better now, though explaining it seems to still be difficult.

Please check out the PDF and give it a play :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15257303/game_dev/City_Rock_n_roll/WeBuiltThisCityOnRockAndRoll.pdf