Game Designing programs for MAC?

edited in General
I have a Mac and would love to play around with some game design programs. What programs would you recommend? Oh yeah, I don't have any programming skills...

I heard Stencyl is okay to use? Construct2 seems awesome, but it doesn't run on mac...

Hope you can help :)

Juan

Comments

• edited
    I have a Mac and I hardly ever work in OSX :P Bootcamp - look it up - it lets you boot into Windows, and is relatively easy to install. If I can do it anyone can :P

Then, Game Maker was the best place to start for me :)

Good luck with your adventures in game making!
  • Hey man

I highly recommend Unity. I use a mac and Pixel Boy was entirely developed on one :)

Hope that helps,

PS Unity is super easy to use :D
  • Unity isn't *as hard as* others but it's still a measure above Game Maker in difficulty. Best would be to try all the engines you can get your hand on, try and make a tutorial game with each, and see which one you feel like tweaking with more. THAT is the one you should work with :)
  • Tuism said:
    Unity isn't *as hard as* others but it's still a measure above Game Maker in difficulty.
    While I think this is probably true for most, I think it's probably a factor of what kind of developer you are, and your coding background. For me personally, I find Unity easier to use that Game Maker and always have, so I don't think your statement is necessarily true for everyone.
    Tuism said:
    Best would be to try all the engines you can get your hand on, try and make a tutorial game with each, and see which one you feel like tweaking with more. THAT is the one you should work with :)
    This, however, I can agree with 100%!
  • Chippit said:
    Tuism said:
    Unity isn't *as hard as* others but it's still a measure above Game Maker in difficulty.
    While I think this is probably true for most, I think it's probably a factor of what kind of developer you are, and your coding background. For me personally, I find Unity easier to use that Game Maker and always have, so I don't think your statement is necessarily true for everyone.
    Context, my dear Watson :)
    juaburg said:
    I have a Mac and would love to play around with some game design programs. What programs would you recommend? Oh yeah, I don't have any programming skills...

I heard Stencyl is okay to use? Construct2 seems awesome, but it doesn't run on mac...

Hope you can help :)

Juan
    Thanked by 1Chippit
  • edited
    I'll second what @Tuism suggested. Game Maker is nice to start with. I'm personally a Unity fan, but I code a lot. I started with Game Maker back before I could code. I find it's actually helpful in teaching you some basic logic used in programming if you ever decide to take it up. Also it has a programming language (called GML) which you could avoid using, but if you want to it's there.
  • There is also Playmaker for Unity for making games without any programming knowledge. Heavy Bullets was made entirely with Playmaker: http://www.heavybullets.com/
  • Hey budddies :)

Thanks for all the feedback. Super APPRECIATE it! I am going to give Unity(free version) a try. I downloaded the ebook(unity 3 x game dev essentials). I'll see how it goes, otherwise I'll fall back on Game Maker. Im definitely going to look into Playmaker :)
  • @raithza That's pretty cool. I didn't even know about this. I guess I'll stick to programming though!