Shader jam idea

edited in General
Hi Everyone,

Based on the recent shader workshop in JHB I was wondering who'd be interested in a shader jam? @Elyaradine showed off some work for a car shader and I was thinking if we have a set model, everyone can submit a shader to show it off in?

What do you think?
Thanked by 1edg3

Comments

• OH EM GEE.

This sounds so awesome.

But I feel so lost regarding the Shader topic. The workshop was amazing but I guess I'm still not quite there yet. Guess a jam could only help though :)
  • Im loving doing Shader stuff. I will likely just submit something from the game I am working on (something I start within the time period of course) - but I have to say I am an addict.
  • @edg3 are you working in unity or gamemaker now with this shader stuff? :)
  • Unity - was the best tool for the game I am making :P
  • Might I suggest this be a MGSA competition akin to the sound ones. That would be a really useful learning instrument, especially if we post the code afterwards.

Actually the more I think about it the more I'm totally down for that ;)
  • edited
    Been thinking about this some. In the shader workshop, we didn't really have time to do exercises, so the only thing we did was that outline shader, and I think that some folks were itching to do more dynamic things using the _Time parameters. I think a pretty cool, noob-friendly challenge would be to create an effect that plays on a simple primitive, like a plane or quad. I think it's meaty enough that it'd could challenge you on multiple levels, and is rather extendible if you're already familiar with shaders.

What the actual effect is could be some sort of elemental kind of thing, like fire or ice, or glistening sand (a la Journey), or something that can somehow blend between two states (e.g. "clean" vs "corrupted/aged")... lots of possibilities! :)
    Thanked by 1Tuism