Indie City

edited in Questions and Answers
So I stumbled upon this: http://store.indiecity.com/projects. Seems like a fairly legit place to buy and sell games. Has anyone got any experience with it?

Comments

• We'll probably put DD up there when the game has launched on Steam. Current indie scuttlebutt holds that IndieCity doesn't drive as many sales as Steam (which is rather obvious) and has some updating hitches, but it's not a bad service.

Keep in mind that as a South African you'd probably have to negotiate a stable means of payment with them, I don't know if they have any SA contact at all. That probably means that you'd be going with wire transfers, which are expensive and most places that offer them have minimum amounts before they'll do a transfer. So IndieCity is probably not a great way to get paid for your games super fast. (Although very few places actually are anyway)

As always, you'd have to drive the marketing and visibility for your game, just putting it up and hoping it'll sell won't do you any good at all.
  • When we do get around to compiling that wiki for us, we should include as much of this kind of information that's specifically suited for us, for as many channels as possible... If there are particular SA contacts especially (or at least contacts of contacts) or specific channels for us to make easier/better use of, that'll be especially valuable.
  • Hey!

This thread appeared in my alerts about IndieCity :)

I'm Scott, one of the community team for IndieCity. All our developer payments are handled via Paypal at the moment, so that should be ok for SA.

Happy to answer any other questions if you have them.
  • Sweet! Thanks for the info @DrPiD, glad IndieCity is so responsive we didn't even have to come and ask you ;)

Also, yay for PayPal working locally now.
  • edited
    Yeah, I was approached by Indiecity to put Blazin' Aces up there. It was the 100th game to go live :).

They have it organised nicely, but it isn't very popular. Not sure exactly why, but they seem to be pretty jacked. The have a cool approval process, where someone plays the game, gives feedback with what you might need to change. Once they approve it, it goes live.

My only concern with their stuff is that the sizes in which you upload stuff is very specific. Screenshots have to be a certain size, regardless of the resolution your game runs at. I ended up having to create frames for my screenshots.
  • I'm impressed by IndieCity's responsiveness as well (although we're far away from deciding where to sell our game still obviously).