Bid on Blood [prototype] [boardgame]

edited in General
Hi all :)

I did this for a 24 hour contest on boardgame geek, thought I'd share, see if anyone wants to playtest :)
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16054972#16054972

So doing a boardgame jam in 24 hours meant that playtesting was obviously lacking, so I'll be looking to playtest this one too :) This is however on a smaller scale compared to Cartel so it shouldn't be too bad :)

The title is very much a working title, the theme could also get an overhaul - what's important here is that gameplay I'm trying to explore - playing two cards that make up all the options in the game, and the idea of bluffing, yomi, and giving money to your tools - then taking them back!

June 16

The Kingpin died suddenly, it's the opportune moment to eliminate all other Bosses and take the throne yourself! The Assassins are In Town, and they have no allegiance. They will kill - anyone - for the right price, the highest price.

2-5 players
Bidding mechanic, yomi mechanic, should be a short game (expecting about 10 minutes)

Components: 15 cards per player + 18 Assassin cards + one A4 board.

Print and play files, in case you're TLDR :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15257303/game_dev/Bid/Bid_on_Blood_24hr.pdf

To Win:

Eliminate all other players by placing hits on others while avoiding hits on yourself. You have two generals who will take bullets for you, but lose them, and you're sleeping with the fishes.

Setup:

1. Each player has two face-up General cards, depicting their life in the game.
2. And a handful of cards depicting
... a) Money (4 cards from 1000 to 4000)
... b) Target: Player (one per other player in the game)
... c) Target: Assassin (four, one per assassin slot on the board)
3. There is a deck of Assassin cards, and four places for Assassins.
4. Each turn, one Assassin is In-Town, depicted by an In-Town token. The token moves to a different Assassin each turn.

The game look like this:

In this example, the player is Ms English, and has placed a hit on player B (Ms Bauss). (You can tell because B isn't in the hand, it's the face-down card. The resolution will happen when the round ends and everyone reveals their cards.

Gameplay:

1. Each turn, each player first plays one card face up in turn (so player 1 first, then 2, then 3, etc), and then each player plays a second face-down, in turn.

2. Then, all cards are revealed, and based on the two cards each player played, a sequence of events is resolved:

Money + Assassin = Place a hit on an Assassin. The highest individual bidder hires one Assassin to kill another, and you get all money the killed Assassin holds.

Assassin + Boss = Tipoff - if the Boss you targeted has placed a hit on the target Assassin, the Assassin avoids death and gives you his money.

Money + Boss = Place a hit on a boss - If the Assassin In-Town is still alive, he will perform a hit on the Boss with the highest Hit placed on him in total.

Money + money = Protection money - give protection money to whomever comes to kill him and is safe for this turn. If he outpaid the Assassin's hit money, the Assassin will even turn on the original bidder.

Assassin + Assassin = Threaten - Playing off the two assassins' inactivity against each other - they both get paranoid and give up their money to you.

Boss + Boss = Recruit - if both bosses has placed a hit this turn, you use the information of conflict and recruit a new general - if you're not out of the game already.

Each of the Assassins have quirky abilities that change the game in their own way, as Assassins enter and leave play your strategies may have to adapt around them!

PNP instructions:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15257303/game_dev/Bid/Bid_on_Blood_24hr.pdf
Print one copy of pages 2-3 per player playing.
(up to 5 players) The rest you only need one copy of.

To close:

This had been a superb experience! I love game jams, and this 24 hour one was perfect excuse to mess with ideas! :D

The game *looks* REALLY complicated but it's really quite simple, I'm sure there are ways to simplify the communication of the game, but as it is now I think it's good enough to try :)

It's utterly untested and I doubt that there's not something that breaks it completely, so I would totally appreciate some playtests :)

Thanks for running the awesome contest! :D

I really like the mechanic here of playing two cards to indicate a bid and intention, I want to take this further, so please give the Print and Play a shot! :)