Deeper Darker (A stab at a roguelike)

edited in Projects
Deeper Darker: Developer run

This is work in progress. It is a real-time/ turn-based RPG with some rogue-like elements.

What does that mean?

-Random Dungeon Generation
-Fantasy creatures
-Magical items and lore with inventory management
-Turn-based combat (real-time exploration)
-Permanent-death (well death normally is permanent, but here I mean, you have to start over and lose all items and progress)

The combat is not just based on luck, but stats and equipment play a role in the outcome. I had to dust off the old DnD Player companion! LOL

The video shows the game from a developer perspective. The tools I'm using and you can see how I had to cheat a bit with a health booster here and there. ;)

Flaws (many): Isometric tiles overlap slightly, hence the yellow lines when lights are used - transparency.

At some point I'll need to get an artist involved for more isometric tile variety and item art... if I want to pursue this further.

It currently runs on Android and would be cool to get it going for Windows Phone as well.

The OnGUI() has a huge FPS hit on Android though when viewing the map.
Next up, I want to be able to view enemy stats and go down to level 2, persist level 1 (JSON?) and reload it when player goes back up.

Thanks for watching!

Comments

• edited
    I'm really enjoying development of this game... thought I'd share progress.

I've now also added inventory management with equip-able & consumable items.

Level persistence also works. Going down to lower levels and coming back up will remember the previous level and also where you've already explored (map). Your items are unfortunately lost between levels, LOL! Have to find a way to NOT do that...

The placeholder up/down stairs art is courtesy of Clint Bellanger (OpenGameArt.org)

Anyhow, here's some shots of the new inventory system and stairs:

and...
  • Wow well done man! I'll leave the crazy inventory programming to you. Looks complicated! ;) Well done and thanks for sharing!
  • @karl182 Thank you Karl! The scary thing about programming is it's actually becoming less complicated and easier to produce stuff quicker and easier these days, thanks to great tools like Unity.

My biggest concern as a developer is to get hold of the important stuff like unique graphical art or epic musical soundtracks to make a game come alive... :)
  • are we going to get a build?
  • edited
    @Fengol For sure... I want to add some traps first though and add a bit more content...

UPDATE: Traps - all dungeons need them...

The dungeon was a bit empty and lacked environmental hazards. (So I added these yesterday)

I'll probably drop an APK here at some point?
  • The above mentioned traps in action...

• Dude that's looking amazing, the look gives Diablo 3 a run for its money! Wow! :D

Would love to see how it plays though :)
    Thanked by 1konman
  • edited
    Coming from you that is a HUGE compliment, thanks @Tuism :) There is so much to do still. I want to get a demo done by end of this month, then i'll link to an Android APK especially for @Fengol...
  • @konman: What's up with the whole action cycling thing? Surely there's a better way to expose those, like a toolbar?
  • Wow, awesome work
  • edited
    @pantsula Thank you :)

@dislekcia I hear what you're saying. This was firstly designed for mobile/touch, so screen real-estate is at a premium. This is what i came up with as a possible solution to the problem? So you only use your thumb on the phone... might get old quick, you could be right...
  • konman said:
    @dislekcia I hear what you're saying. This was firstly designed for mobile/touch, so screen real-estate is at a premium. This is what i came up with as a possible solution to the problem? So you only use your thumb on the phone... might get old quick, you could be right...
    So use a rocker switch. Tap and then drag in a direction to choose a specific mode. Each mode is arrayed around the switch in a circle, current mode is displayed in the middle with a corresponding gap in the circle.
  • @dislekcia Thanks, that sounds interesting. I didn't consider that but I'll investigate. Erm, mine was the "poor man" version of a rocker switch ;)
  • Looks nice. You should give us a build. I see you are using Kevin MacLeod music too. Awesome :)
  • edited
    @Denzil Thanks, yeah I've parked this for a bit. I got an artist to do some really cool isometric art, so it is actually looking a lot better now and I also have about 20 really cool creature animations in.

I wanted to get this game playable for a big international competition where entry expired this past Monday, but there was still too much to do. I got very depressed when I realized I wasn't going to make it. Luckily, the universe, moon, sun and stars aligned and a chance to collaborate on a new project appeared that was more likely to get done in time, thank you MGSA! :)

So I partnered up and we got another new game done. We barely made it and and were pushing 12-16 hour days for the last 2 weeks for a shot at it. I'll pick up Deeper Darker again in the near future.

and yes that is Kevin MacLeod's music. isn't he great? :) I felt it blended well with the atmosphere. Thanks for the interest :)
  • @konman Cool, what is this other game you got done? I'd like to see it! You are lucky to have found someone to partner up with. It's hard sometimes. If you do find someone who will work with you, they often have their own separate ideas :D
  • edited
    @Denzil It's called Dungeon Run... very excited about it and our plans around it. But will discuss that in more detail another time... you're right about working together on stuff and people having different ideas. Sometimes you just meet the right people where it works out.

You can check Dungeon Run out over here...

http://www.makegamessa.com/discussion/2184/dungeon-run-2014-indie-game-maker-competition#Item_4