2D Packages in Unity

edited in Questions and Answers
So I'm somewhat perturbed by the limitations of Game Maker lite and I figured that the chances of me using Game Maker again for a future 2D project are probably a fair amount less than the chances of me wanting to use Unity. So I am seriously considering purchasing a good 2D framework for Unity but the question is which one?

The main contenders seem to be ex2D, 2D Toolkit and SpriteManager 2, and then theres also Orthello2D.

Orthello has a free version, which I have used a bit. Not sure if I'm a great fan of the workflow there but maybe I'm just not used to it. Also it's "pro" version is not available on the asset store, you have to buy it through their site.

So my main question is: Which is better (are any of them that much "better" than the other?) or which do you guys prefer/have used.

Is the extra cash for Sprite Manager 2 worth it? Are the 3 mentioned above significantly better than Orthello2D?

Comments

• I may be speaking under ignorance here, but isn't it easier to just get Game Maker Studio? Unity I've heard so many say is not that friendly for 2D, and I've found Studio to be able to do everything I need in 2D.

But also everyone loves Unity, and if you already know Unity then that's a good option ;)
  • edited
    I used Unity and SpriteManager 1 (which is free) for ages.

I don't actually use the features in SpriteManager 2. All you really need is something that builds a quad for you and sets UV coordinates. Animations and stuff are unwieldy in SpriteManager 2 so I do them myself. In theory they are quite powerful though (so long as you like the way they operate, but in my opinion they are poorly designed).

SpriteManager 2 is more self contained than SpriteManager 1. So it does reduce setup time.

I can't speak about the other ones. They weren't options when I wanted sprites. But SpriteManager 2 is far from perfect in my opinion. And sprite building is so basic I can't really imagine the other options failing.

One thing I hate that is happening in the Asset Store is that developers are providing .DLL files instead of source. I nearly always find I want to tweak high-level stuff like animation systems, and having only the .DLL's kinda screws you (although don't get me wrong, I'm all for third party solutions when they do allow you to do what you want).
  • @Tuism I prefer the way Unity works (the more I use GML the more I want to stop using it) and am more familiar with Unity, as you mentioned :)

@BlackShipsFilltheSky I did not know about Sprite Manager 1, I shall take a look at it.
  • Here's another I just found today, no doubt I WILL make my next prototype using this!
    [url =http://ragepixel.com/]RagePixel[/url] (FREE)
    Draw pixel art right in Unity, not very friendly, but either way it's easier to set up and understand than sprite manager 1 which i still can't get animations to be triggered :S
  • I heard about RagePixel from @Merrik and it looks pretty cool. I'd wouldn't mind trying to do a game jam with it.
  • you said the words game jam and didn't follow it up with any dates... tsk tsk, count me in!
  • Haha, yeah. Hopefully we can host a game jam at UCT again sometime later this year when we aren't being totally destroyed by Honours.