BorEd: A board game prototyping kit

edited in Projects
Loosely inspired by projects like VASSAL and Wolfire's Desperate Gods, this is intended to be a simple toolkit for Unity3D that board game designers can use to try out their designs without needing to print out loads of paper/plastic, and eventually also to be able to play these games as one would do on a real table, including over the net.

I'm not entirely sure what my motivation for making this is/was, since I won't be using it, but it seemed like a fun thing to do. I have some planned features that I will add before I declare it done, but I will be sure to post it on Github for anyone who wishes to use it or contribute or whatever.

Feedback appreciated!

Edit: It's rougher than Patricia de Lille's vocabulary, but I've created the repo and committed what I have so far: https://github.com/screwylightbulb/bored

Comments

• HEy!!! I was just thinking about something that does this, cos damn it takes a long time to cut out bloody cardboard bits. HALF A BLOODY DAY. And thought also of doing it as a physical thing too :)

Looks damn cool! Comments:

1. What you mentioned about discreet card movement is exactly right :)
    2. For prototyping people would like to be able to type some text into something to define cards, then maybe define x of that card in a deck, to define a deck.
    3. Different types of tokens. And the ability to flip tokens.
    4. Ability to make x tokens or take x tokens away from a pile without having to repeat the same movement 10 times.
    5. Some way to customise movements. For example turning cards sideways (tapping, of course :P)
    6. Bonus points if prototypers don't have to work in Unity. I don't mind, but I know most boardgame prototypers would be like "eh wtf is that"

Network support would be amazing! Good stuff! Following with keen interest :)
  • Wow... This is pretty freakin awesome! I would looove a tool like this. If you incorporate everything you mentioned in the video and the things that @Tuism requested, this'll be invaluable to rapid prototyping of boardgames.
  • Definitely a tapping action is required!

I want to make my card game Left4Dead:TCG in this after the PDL jam
  • I'll do decks and card stuff next then.
  • It would also be great to be able to define set card areas/piles where cards can be sent. ie. Draw Pile, Discard Pile, etc.

Then have functions that can be called to move cards around.

Eg:
    card.SendToPile("Discard", Facing.FaceDown);
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • I've made a fork, cleaned up the repo and sent you a pull request!
  • edited
    Cool cool, will merge. If we're cleaning up, then there's likely a bunch of standard assets crap to get rid of too.

EDIT: Done!
  • I was browsing through the special offers for Ludum Dare 30 and saw this TCG Maker Kit and Framework, and I thought you might want to investigate it further; especially @Tuism
  • Thanks for the heads up :D Investigated, and it looks like a MTG maker :P I'm dropping some communication with the creator to see if they have plans to really open up the floodgates for more mechanics than mana and spells :)