Arduino jam/foolery

KimKim
edited in Online Competitions & Jams
Hey guys

I'm a total noob when it comes to Arduino but have been doing some tutorials on the side to learn and experiment, trying to solder and wire as best as I can. Though it's been really difficult doing it on my own - it would be awesome to find some duino fans in JHB area to jam with during the week, fool around with tuts and instructables - let me know if anyone out there is keen:)

K

Thanked by 1Merrik

Comments

• I haven't yet started doing things with my Arduino (received it in December), I did do a fair amount of simple learning with the Raspberry Pi and got some basic knowledge of electronics and circuitry through that.

Perhaps we could start looking into starting an electronics group? I have a shield for my Raspberry Pi that adds a screen and controller like buttons that I want to use to make games, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Important notes:
    - Where do you source your electronics components from?
    - What are your ultimate goals for using the arduino?
    - What have you done so far?

Perhaps you could consider doing something with arduino for the physical game jam coming up on the weekend? Electronics assisted physical boardgames could be pretty cool. (I may get in trouble for suggesting it, but think of randomized spinner dials and stuff)
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • I'm in! I got my Ardiuno from House4Hack in Centurion and they ran regular tutorial workshops in PTA and JHB. I'll find Schalk's details and share when I can plug my laptop to the internet
  • KimKim
    edited
    @edg3

A electronic group in JHB sounds cool, it's always so hard for me to understand the wiring. I saw magic smoke the first time i tried it 0_0
    edg3 said:

- Where do you source your electronics components from?
    - What are your ultimate goals for using the arduino?
    - What have you done so far?
    I get my things from http://www.robotics.org.za and my ultimate goal (right now) is to just build http://www.instructables.com/id/Piano-Stairs-with-Arduino-and-Raspberry-Pi/?ALLSTEPS.

The most exciting arduino i've done so far is make a pot (analogue dial) LED colour selection thingy:) So ie not very much! Too amateur right now to make anything useful xD

Thinking of having a meet up at my place on weekdays to learn with fellow duino fans.

• @Fengol

You know Schalk too:) Going to H4H for their beginner course xD
    Where abouts do you stay? I'm in blairgowrie area and am considering using my place for duino jam. Say Wednesday at 6:30 PM if you are in?
  • Kim said:
    @Fengol

You know Schalk too:) Going to H4H for their beginner course xD
    Where abouts do you stay? I'm in blairgowrie area and am considering using my place for duino jam. Say Wednesday at 6:30 PM if you are in?
    I work in Bryanston and I live in Rand Park, so Blairgowrie is manageable for me, though I would need some beginner introduction to get started I guess.

I still need to order some of the things I want to play around with.
  • Blairgowrie is also close enough for me. I'm in Radiokop and I work in Bryanston.
  • FYI, I can highly recommend the Jeremy Blum's tutorial videos for Arduino.
  • House4Hack website is here: http://house4hack.co.za

Schalk's details are listed on the site on the right hand side.

There's a JHB chapter in Randburg.
  • http://www.house4hack.co.za/introduction-to-arduino-15-march

Date/Time: Saturday 15 March 2014 from 9-13
    Where: House4Hack Centurion : 4 Burger Ave, Lyttleton Manor.
    Cost: The course cost is R800 and includes the Arduino UNO, cable, breadboard and everything you would need to complete this course. If you have your own hardware the course is R400.
    Bring: Please bring a laptop and if possible, install the software beforehand
    Notice: Pizza will be served for lunch.
    Register: Link
  • Damn, if I knew about that earlier. Will have to wait for the next one.