Some interresting statistics!

Comments

• That's a cool blog. :)

Matt regularly uses it to show how retarded Android fragmentation is. :P (And all I say is, if you buy an Android phone, get the one that's <going to be> the most popular. :D)
  • One of the biggest things that can help sell anything are stats, and this blog seems to have it in droves. cool stuff :)

Android Fragmentation needs to be stifled. Or at least game/app devs need to find a standard and stick to it, if manufacturers are going to have a PC mentality.
  • Sucks, because the fragmentation is there in just about everything. Aspect ratio, screen resolution, CPU/GPU/memory, OS version, custom cooked ROM, etc. I still love that kind of freedom (I can, and do, change just about everything about my phone, with custom keyboards and themes and stuff, and if there's some kind of feature I feel I'm missing, a quick search on xda-developers usually turns up something that someone's written), but it's a headache sometimes. Definitely not something most people would want to be bothered with.
    Or at least game/app devs need to find a standard and stick to it, if manufacturers are going to have a PC mentality.
    Do PC games have a standard either?
  • Ya, I get this all the time when designing artwork for clients. I always have to design with the mindset that sizes and layouts of GUI, and backgrounds will work on different platforms.
  • Do PC games have a standard either?
    Well there are standards in that most PCs can switch resolutions to a standard, lower one, and there are two standard aspect ratios. Then the control schemes are usually standard with keyboard & mouse (Some Androids have trackballs/trackpads some don't). Most PCs are overspec'ed these days (as far as indie games are concerned) so there's no worry about that most of the time...

Or I could be entirely wrong, I don't PC game too much these days.
  • edited
    We actually lost money with Pocket RPG on Android. The people pirating the game crashed our web servers. Also Android users keep on sending us complaints about games we didn't develop (and some of the complaints seem more medical in nature).

I've begun to feel that a fair portion of Android users are actually retarded. And also begun to really hate Android as a development platform.

And while there certainly are ways to make money on Android, I think its massively more difficult for device heavy games (like Pocket RPG), or premium model games (like Pocket RPG) (which are the kind of games I personally enjoy developing).

Ack! Sorry about the rant! (It's only barely on topic).

Working on PC for BROFORCE has been really awesome (in comparison to IOS, and even more so in comparison to Android). Mostly it's because (like Tuism said) PC's are pretty standard as far as Unity is concerned and all seem to have plenty of power to spare.

(at the same time PC is super competitive and Android gamers get far fewer interesting games)