VALA: Alpha

edited in Projects
Hey there. I wanted to share the game we've been working on. It is called Vicious Attack Llama Apocalypse: Alpha, and was funded by AppCampus (so is exclusive to WP8 for 3 months).
"We" is Renier Van Der Westhuizen (from Luma) and myself (Matt Cavanagh). Peter Cardwell-Gardner also helped massively to get the project up, and has now moved onto Cadence.

VALA is a top-down 3D shooter set in a post-apocalyptic world. You're a mech and need to fight of waves of llamas. It also has some tower-defense characteristics - you can build and upgrade towers to help/protect you. They are: slow, shield, sentry, health. Each one (except sentry) drops packs which you collect and store for use.

Currently it only has a very basic survival mode. The game is in a very early stage (partly why the name is VALA: Alpha), and we are working on making it more addictive, rewarding, and fun.

The reception has been really good. It got tons of comments over on the WPCentral post: http://www.wpcentral.com/save-world-llamas-new-3d-shooter-vala-windows-phone
And the average rating in the store is 4/5 (Generally people either rate it 1* for not having enough content, or 5*).
In the first 4 days it got just over 18,000 downloads.

I'd love to know what you guys think. Here is the WP8 link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-za/store/app/vala-alpha/d23fe3c1-4a3f-4dc8-a0da-9fb691c89c37

Comments

• edited
    Hey, so here is the two week update.
    It broke the 50k download mark in 14 days :-)
    Also just pushed a new update to make it work better on low-memory devices (it was crashing like 1.8k times per day, seriously).
    The next updates will roughly be based on this list:
    -MOGA controller support
    -Better llama variations with individual personalities and abilities
    -Various weapons
    -Powerups (these are different to the ones generated from towers)
    -Badges/Achievements which lead to unlocks

As most of you probably don't have Windows Phones, here is a quick video of the game-play (UI removed):

Thanked by 1DarkRa88iT
  • @roguecode Hi Matt, I attended Tech Ed 2013 in Durban where you had that inspiring game dev talk.

Great to see progress made. The game sounds and looks great already. It has come a long way since the video I saw on YouTube a year ago.

The downloads you are getting already is very interesting and inspiring. I - must - code - faster... :) Thanks for sharing.
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • Awesome, glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, been through lots of iterations to get here.

• this is really cool man :)
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • Looks great will give it a go soon! We also off to Finland on Sat for Appcampus, any tips? Howd you find developing on the 520?