Thoughts on a rougelike ZX-like prototype?

edited in Projects
Hello there, I made a prototype awhile back that I thought I would post to get some feedback. At the moment I cant upload the build because of some hectic performance issues (that you can see in the video). So you will just have to watch this video :

The game is supposed to be like ZX meets The Binding of Isaac. And the character I selected has a special ability of telleporting 1 meter forward. The other characters have different special ability's like homing missles, increased health, health regen, bomb planting, invisibilty etc. The idea is to eventually have items that modify your stats and active items that you can use.

Oh and sorry for the shitty quality.

Comments

• @Kobusvdwalt9 - Love the teleporting power. Makes me curious to see the other abilities. Also like the explosions when you destroy enemies. You should continue working on this. This genre can use some more titles. On the other hand how is development of Montez coming along?
  • @FanieG Yeah when I am in the mood for pure programming and minimal design I work on this. WE should be announcing something big in the next two weeks regarding Montez, so just hang on a bit longer.
  • Hmm. The teleporting seems super overpowered, seeing as you can use it to just bypass everything. Maybe if you made it not able to teleport through walls?

Besides the issues with stuff like constant bullet stream enemies - these aren't really fun because they make combat kinda boring, you don't have to time dodges or spot patterns, just strafe past them and eat a few (necessarily low damage) shots to take them out - and the too small bullets, I think the biggest issue is that there's nothing to collect. You're not upgrading as a player, so figure out a way to make powerups like Isaac's or Spelunky's happen and you'll have a more compelling game to structure enemy interactions around :)
  • edited
    Crap, I just noticed I never replied to this. Sorry and sorry again about not replying to my other thread about that rotation game called sarif. I just miss the comments. Coincidentally when dislekcia answers :) Here is a hug to make up for it. *hug*

I am not going to further experiment with this and has moved on to other things. But thanks for the feedback.
  • @Kobusvdwalt9 This looks pretty cool. A shame you're not taking it further. Are those levels randomly generated?
  • edited
    @Kobusvdwalt9
    I just miss the comments
    BTW, I just discovered today, after being a member for over 2 years...that it's possible to receive notification emails when your username is mentioned in a thread... see 'My Preferences' in your profile (there should be a course). Never miss a related comment ever again. :)
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9