Indie Game: The Movie Screening Post Mortem

So last night the screening happened. It went really well, and generally speaking everyone had a good time. Was also really good to hear how many people who weren't interested in games still identified with the story at the heart of IGTM. Full credit to the film makers on that front.

So barring one technical glitch ( that resulted in a impromptu shadow puppet performance ) things came together really well. I still need to get a handle on final attendance numbers, but it's safe to say we've broken even. I will find out on Monday if we've managed to bag a few spare monies for MGSA.

Also I believe all of @Lexquilla and @Tuism 's business cards found a new home. Means that almost every person there took one home. Good stuff!

Thank you for every one who turned up and help make it a success!
Thanked by 1Merrik

Comments

• Some early coverage:

Geared towards movie buffs, and mostly about the movie itself, but some good pimping for MGSA
  • I was waiting for a video to pop up :) Then realised it was a podcast :) Good coverage! Well done to everyone involved! :D
  • Thanks for setting that up lastnight! Was really good to see who is behind this, although I had to leave just after the movie and didn't get to meet you or anyone else. By the way, I was the guy sitting behind you lastnight. haha!

Look forward to meeting more at the meetups!

Welldone.
  • Just got back from the theatre. Final number of attendants is 120. That means that after my expenses there's about R300 left over. It's not much but I'll be donating this to MGSA once the association is sorted and I'd hopefully like to see a www.makegames.co.za domain drafted into service. :)
    Thanked by 2Tuism dislekcia
  • Congratulations to all involved! I'm really glad it turned out so well :)
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • Standing applause congratulations on a most successful event :D
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • as much as I think localising the domain is cool, I also don't think we should fragment the brand - so is it makegamesSA.com or makegames.co.za? I think makegamesSA.com is stronger as it says to whoever does not know what .co.za is that it is SA - and likely south african.

But we should grab makegames.co.za and redirect it anyway, whichever one is decided on in the end.
  • Lawyer in me says we should get as many of the derivative domain names as possible, including makegames. We can just get them to redirect to the .com. This helps us protect the brand, but also prevents people typo or cybe squatting.
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • We've actually had the makegames.co.za domain since the site first went live. I'm just a noob at getting the domain to redirect here... Sorry.
  • @dislekcia: This is how I've done it in the past. I don't know if this is the best way to do it or anything (because it feels like a hack) but it's quick and simple... :)

In index.php on makegames.co.za:
    <?php
    header("HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily");
    header ("Location: http://makegamessa.com");
    exit;
    ?>
  • Ah, I'm trying to make it happen at the DNS level. I should probably just throw a couple of hours at reading up how to do it properly...
  • To do it at the DNS level, you'll probably want to create a CNAME entry.
    Thanked by 1edg3