Article on building a local indie community

edited in General
Very relevant to what we're trying to do here. Some obvious stuff that is already happening, and some good ideas that could be implemented
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/176367/Building_a_healthy_indie_community_in_your_city.php
Thanked by 1Elyaradine

Comments

• I like the idea of having a workshop geared to kickstarting aspiring game developers. I will look into the logistics of organising a workshop (I am sure I could get a suitable venue in JHB) and content wise it could be either very broad (i.e. introduction to programming, logic and flow, then simple game mechanics, build your first game) or could be split up and compartmentalised (dedicate separate events to each of those topics), though from experience participation usually dies off when workshops are spaced out so a single day workshop would be better ideally.

It could even be organised to be linked with CT (or other cities that it would be good for) via a video stream and by organising for someone at each venue to manage questions that could be put forward by participants.