[Indie Speed Run] Breakfast Run

edited in Online Competitions & Jams
Hi all,

So I made a post about looking for an artist for Indie Speed Run. @damousey responded to it and this is the result for our 48h game. It was really awesome to work with someone with real artistic skill specific to game design, it was so cool to see your mind in pretty pictures :)

So the theme we got was expansion and the element was spoon. The idea from that was a monster eating people and growing as he eats people/creatures. It's not really something new but it was really fun to make and it's a game!

>>Play Breakfast Run<<

I forgot to add it to the instructions but the up and down arrows moves the character up and down.

Disclaimer: it was done in 48 hours

Comments

• edited
    Sjweet! :D Checking it out now!

Ok, I played it. I like how the monsters tongue is sticking out. :) It's quite a cute game. I also like how you grow and everything can get crushed beneath your feet. :)

The way hunger/health works is a bit obscure though, I wasn't sure why I would start losing health almost immediately after I ate two bouncing baby boys. I once lost while still chewing on someone.

But all in all, I liked it. Congrats! :)
  • Thanks Ed, the losing health thing was the monster starving but also there was not enough time to explain that a bit better. The growing was another part that is not as clear as I would have liked but lessons learned and next time I will know these things.

The things one sacrifices in a 48h jam :(
  • Here is a little sneak preview of what's behind link number 1

• When I tried it it didn't look like the screenshot above, it was like a super tight crop around the monster's mouth, I could press space to swipte the spoon, and some rats appeared... And I tapped space endlessly and the kills thing didn't go up at all... I wonder if that's just me?

It looks super adorable! hope I can actually play it without glitching... :D
  • @Tuism, it is a bit confusing at first. But you have to press up/down to make the monster move. It isn't actually cropped, he is just really close to the camera at the start.
  • Ahhh coool! I see now XD Didn't realise that XD

I love the scale manipulation aspect of it! The way you can grow and outclass stuff that you couldn't engage with before is awesome, I've always wanted to make a game with that in :)
  • @Tuism just after submitting the game which was super stressful we got it in with 1min to spare cause there was an error uploading, they make you fill in the controls etc. I totally forgot to add the arrow keys into the instructions but it should be there now I did mail them about it
  • It is there...but as we learned from rAge...no one reads....ever. :P