[Tools] MonoDevelop vs Visual Studios for Unity

Comments

• edg3 said:
    Monodevelop keeps auto-indenting and rearranging my code and it really bugs me, I spend more time fixing lining up of my code than writing actual code in monodevelop.
    I know exactly what you mean, I'm like:
    if (thing == value)
    {
       DoAction();
    }

Then Monodevelop is like, nah bitch, do it like this:
    if (thing == value)
                                   {
            DoAction ();
    }

Well maybe not quite so bad, but that's exactly how I feel every time I have to correct it. And sometimes the auto-complete just refuses to accept something I definitely defined before, and rather suggests something else, and no matter how hard I try to type the thing I know is write, it replaces it was some HUGE class name that no-one in existence has or ever will use.

Maybe my monodevelop is just not set up properly though.
    Thanked by 1edg3
  • Does anybody use UnityVS?
  • Quite a few people have said they use (or at least have tried or want to try) UnityVS in the thread so far. It seems fairly prominent.
  • edited
    So there's no luck in getting mono to autocomplete/format like this?
    if (thing == value)
    {
       DoAction();
    }

It's starting to irritate me a LOT having to undo every time I hit enter :/
  • You can, but it takes some effort digging through the settings.
  • You can, but it takes some effort digging through the settings.
    Is there some kind of guide to those settings? I don't have a clue where to go?
  • Well, the main problem is that the feedback on this stuff getting fixed is really bad, because the setting only actually comes into effect with some combination of setting it in a couple of different places and restarting Monodevelop. I don't know which combination it is that works, so I change it everywhere. >_<
    Tools > Custom Policies > Add Policy...
    Then change its rules in:
    Source Code > Code Formatting > C# source code
    C# source code > C# Format > Edit
    Now, in theory, that should probably be enough, right? Except you can also change your policy using:
    Project > Solution Options > Source Code > C# source code > Policy
    (Although if you saved your rules as a new policy above, at least you don't have to do all of that again and can just choose it in the drop-down list.)

There are also policy settings in
    Project > Apply Policy
    I don't know which of them, or if all of them, actually change how stuff works, and sometimes I find it doesn't work at all no matter what I do until I restart Monodevelop.

Have fun with that. :P
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • I'm using Xamarin for a non-game project, and their editor Xamarin Studio (which I think is an evolution of MonoDevelop) still has this irritating issue of ignoring indenting settings in some cases. So I wouldn't expect it to improve on Unity's branch of MD anytime soon.

Maybe we should all just give up and go egyptian :/

• I thought about it today and if I could turn off MonoDevelop's indent changing functionality it would immediately become much better as I don't mind doing my own indenting.

I literally had it slowly indent code further and further for no reason as I was making a if {} else if {} else if and after fixing it twice I gave up and waited till I had all the code working to rearrange it myself.
  • Thought I'd share this. Visual Studio Tools for Unity is now available. Brought to you buy the same guys that did UnityVS.
  • UnityVS is now FREE!!! with a bunch of fixes:

http://unityvs.com/news/
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • edited
    This makes me soo happy! Instadownload! Now please don't disappoint me!

Edit: Very first impressions: Impressive! Much better local variable inspection than Monodevelop - MD couldn't even inspect List<T> which was beyond useless!

Remains to be seen what stability is like.
  • edited
    Pretty awesome, unfortunately the tools (still) don't work with out project :( I suspect it has something to do with our multithreaded stuff, but just trying to attach crashes Unity. So sad, was looking forward to using this.
    Thought I'd share this. Visual Studio Tools for Unity is now available. Brought to you buy the same guys that did UnityVS.
    Actually one and the same toolset. MS bought them out, and UnityVS is just being rebranded as Visual Studio Tools for Unity. It even still installs in Unity under the UnityVS folder :) And of course, still VS Pro and up only.
  • edited
    Does anyone know if the tool works with VS2013?

Here's the link for Visual Studio 2013 Tools for Unity