[EVENT] GAME PARTY! ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

edited in Events
At A MAZE we were kicking around the idea of hosting a party/exhibition type-thing in CT where regular human beings can play our games and prototypes. I really love the idea and want to make it happen!
It would be even cooler to open the floor to all artist's working on anything related to gaming culture. I feel like the game dev scene is quite isolated from the rest of Cape Town's creative scene. An event could maybe be an opportunity to cross pollinate. We could even see if some local chiptunes artists would like to perform. It should probably be at night with alcohol.

I'd like the event to encourage the experimental game design, but that's just me :) Perhaps we can curate some international games like Rakete, Joust, Sports Friends, McPixel and Mount your Friends to help set the tone.

Venue: TBC

Date: TBC

Games:
BROFORCE
Wang Commander
Post to opt in :)

Other Media:
Thanked by 3mycl Tuism creative630

Comments

• Yes, this is what I want!
  • Starts saving money for flight down to CT
  • Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! Can Jaco and I have fruit juice though please? :p
  • Very good idea.

There's a whole bunch of fun and a different experience to be gained by gaming in a group rather than alone, over the net.
    Playing one of the games at AMAZE with four other people, each being one booster of the spaceship was awesome, you definitely need some of that action!
  • edited
    Can Jaco and I have fruit juice though please? :p
    If Amaze is anything to go by, South African game developers are more than capable of embarrassing themselves without alcohol (meaning that the addition of alcohol in many cases would have severely diminished marginal utility).

Short answer: There will certainly be non-alcoholic beverages and you won't be the only ones consuming them.
  • It's not just CT, Joburg could do with that too :)

I was just chatting with an artist friend, and she was keen to make game/art collaborations. Now I'm aware of the "everyone and their dog thinks making a game is easy and everyone thinks they can has a great idea" syndrome, but I think there's real value in cross-pollinating between other spheres of local creative culture, like arts, music, hipsters, etc :)

So keen :)
    Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • Where would we host such an event? Maybe at Raggazzi like the Thirty Three-Seven, BarCraft events?
  • This sounds great! Also, alcohol!

... Wow, I sounded like a drunk, didn't I?
  • There are a couple of galleries I can think of that would be a good space to host something like this. It can be a challenge to get somewhere with a liquor licence though.
  • I know a bar in Observatory that hosts the occasional LAN, it would be a perfect fit for this.