Art Dump!

Comments

• I haven't looked at your thread for quite some time , maybe a year ago last , your work just keeps getting better , a lot great stuff here. I am a bit jelly
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Yup still cant view this page without drooling from awe and wonder, the art looks great! Keep up the good work!
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • edited
    Screw Dropbox. As you may have noticed, pretty much every image I've ever posted in this thread (and on other forums), hundreds of images posted over a good few years, have had their links broken, because "security". If I wanted my files to be secure, I wouldn't have put them in the bloody public folder in the first place.

And with that... ART DUMP TIME!!!

:P

• edited
    Incredible as always! I really love the origami creatures! They are amazing :D

Keep up the fantastic work!

Edit: Are you planning on doing some kind of animation/story with the Origami storyboard/3d Models? Please do! It would be awesome ^_^
  • Thank you! The thumbnails were to explore art direction, first of the creatures, and then to try and figure out what sort of environment they might inhabit. I'd like to develop it into a game at some point, but I've got a bunch of other personal projects I'm currently more interested in. I'm currently trying to make a vignette lost in space game, interspersed with bouts of doing 2D animation. :P
    Thanked by 1blacksheepZA
  • Drop all your other ideas and do the origami one! \:D/
    Then again if there are other ideas that are more interesting to you, they are probably pretty damn cool... So get to it, don't mind me I'll just be sitting here waiting...
    * waits with bated breath *

The space vignette sounds really interesting! I assume it's linked to the clip you posted above which is also looking pretty awesome :)
  • edited
    I got a bit stuck with the space game because it involves a bunch of writing and writing is hard. :P Put it back on the backburner for a bit, and went back to things I know. XD

Dropbox's disabling the public folder has made me look for other solutions. I wrote a Windows client that lets me either drag images into it, or copy-paste into it, and it uploads the image to the Cloudinary cloud service and gives me a link.

You can grab it here (lol, still Dropbox...). You'll need a Cloudinary account, and can sign up using this link to get me extra data. :P You get some 2.5GB or so with their free account.

I'm still busy with Batgirl there. Been going back to the sculpt and revisiting some shapes. I'd like to take it all the way through (lowpoly, bakes/texture, rig, animated turntable, Marmoset viewer), similar to what I did with Irelia a few years ago. I'd normally run out of steam before I finish, but I've got a good feeling about this one. XD

I've been thinking some about how I jump between projects a lot. I know I get distracted easily (I see someone else doing cool work and get inspired to try it out myself), and end up learning a lot of different things -- which is normally fine. But I'm wondering if it's not actually just about getting distracted, and more to do with stopping projects the moment it really gets hard, instead of pushing through. I'd like to think that I know the difference between getting bored and getting scared/frustrated, but I'm not so sure any more. I think that in a world of social media it's far easier to get distracted than before, but that it's a difficult thing for me to discard, given I'm so disconnected from my family and friends back home otherwise. :/
  • @Elyaradine your papermon characters are super cute! I don't think they ones you chose to render out where the strongest thumbs though. In particular some read like the limbs are floating geo instead of folded over into place. That space dream you had is freekin scary!
    I've been thinking some about how I jump between projects a lot. I know I get distracted easily...
    You not alone. In the words of McConaughey Keep on keepin' on man!
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • edited
    Elyaradine said:
    But I'm wondering if it's not actually just about getting distracted, and more to do with stopping projects the moment it really gets hard, instead of pushing through.
    I think this is only a problem if it doesn't align with your goals. If learning to put that last layer of polish on it is important, or if having super impressively worked portfolio pieces is important, or if actually finishing and commercializing is important, then it's probably worth pushing and finishing.

I think there's some conventional wisdom out there that says "learn to finish things", while I think the wisdom of "learn to show people the things you've made and get feedback" is absolutely true, I don't think finishing things is necessarily valuable for its own sake.

I know this doesn't translate perfectly to the work you're talking about, but from my position I think it can be worthwhile spending a bunch of time on something, particularly to prove it's worth to other people, particularly if it might mean a chance to turn a passion project into a day job. But I cannot choose every project, I can't even choose most of them. Some might be deadends, probably most of them.

If you are jumping around, and doing so in a way that means you never take anything through to a logical conclusion, and this is something you wish to change (some of the time), it might be worthwhile finding a collaborator that has the urge to pursue projects further. I have something of the opposite problem to you (sometimes) where I get stuck on something and don't want to ever put it down, and it has helped me to have collaborators who want to have things finished (and similarly it might help you to have collaborators who want to see things developed further).

I do think, from my knowledge of what you've said to me are your goals, that expanding on some of these things further, perhaps taking them to the point of more than just concepts or cool images, might teach you some lessons that you'd like to learn. For instance sparking peoples' curiosity with your Papermon Monster designs is a great start, but do you know how to turn that into an experience? (or even a bit of an experience). (The Papermon designs are cool anyway, but my understanding is that you want to create experiences at least as much as cool designs and marketing material).
  • A thing I did some fx work on got put up today. :)

• Wow you working on epic games ...congratulations!! (a bit jelly). I think Fortnite is going to be big , will be interesting to see how it does.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • edited
    Been chipping away at this for a bit. I think she's done. XD Been a fan of Loish's work for ages.

[edit: Updated with "final" version XD]
  • Dude that is AWESOME!
    It's got sort of a Norman Rockwell vibe to the character. Very cool
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Oh, Loish commented on it, yay!

And it got into ZBC top row. The top row feels like a sort of fake top row though, because I didn't post it myself, and my work was posted as part of a group of students (hence the shared thumbnail), but hey, still cool. XD

I was asked to apply to another game studio recently, and decided to update my reel, this time more as a full on generalist game developer, rather than as a tech artist. Sadly I didn't do very much in the way of game prototypes and stuff this past year, for lots and lots of reasons, but I have a feeling this year will be different! :)

• edited
    Yay for more dumping! :P

These are game jams I've worked on recently. I haven't really put them up anywhere to play because I've been struggling with making levels that both teach things well and are fun to play. You can play Breeze on itch, though it's not much of a game at the moment. I don't know how to upload video snippets; they seem too short to bother with YouTube, but Instagram embeds aren't working, so... :'(
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BgYpxNGFekI/?taken-by=elyaradine
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BhRb_EVDFNl/?taken-by=elyaradine
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BhWDPFdDByU/?taken-by=elyaradine
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjf8A8-FbIY/?taken-by=elyaradine
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjp9rW_l3Nn/?taken-by=elyaradine
  • Updated my reel recently because it's nice to look back on work that I'm proud of! :D