[SA Game Jam 2019] Planting The Seed

SA Game Jam 2019
Planting the Seed
A god sim, where the player goes about the world collecting basic resources to
Connor Munro as Designer
Ashveer Jugdav as Coder
[Student]
48 hour entry
The sound files were purchased assets that we have a license to use, but all art and code was done by us.
Bugs:
We instantiate biomes at run time so occasionally there will be an overlap and platforms cannot be seen, so the player will look as if they are standing on air.
alt F4 to leave the game.
Thanked by 1absolutwillie

Comments

• I like the concept being the idea.
    Been a fan of resource management games.
    Some of the biomes have a bit of a issue when I fall I can't get back up without quitting the game.
    But good work overall.
  • I like the concept being the idea.
    Been a fan of resource management games.
    Some of the biomes have a bit of a issue when I fall I can't get back up without quitting the game.
    But good work overall.
    I'm experiencing the same issue re: falling off the screen. I can still hear myself jump though :)
    Had a right chuckle at the response to picking up soil.
  • This was cool. I really liked having these different biomes to wander around in. Personally I'm also fond of the main characters colour scheme.

During my first 2 runs I couldn't find any soil at all, so that meant no crafting. Eventually I found some and was able to start making citizens, cows, etc.

After crafting a bunch of entities, I wasn't able to tell if my citizens, farmers and miners were auto-gathering / contributing to my resources over time? Maybe I'm missing something? I wished that I could have crafted this town / empire that was just amassing me more resources over time.

I feel this definitely achieved one of the main appeals in a crafting game: allowing the player to set their own goals. While playing this I wasn't being dictated what to craft next, I checked out the crafting menu and made my own choices, which I liked.
  • Please let me know if you're based in CT, JHB or where?
  • Fengol said:
    Please let me know if you're based in CT, JHB or where?
    They're CT :)
  • My cow army has now grown enough to conquer the Planting the seed universe :3

Cute game! I loved the fact that my character was commenting on everything, which really made it seem more "alive" despite being only a few pixels. The biome system was impressive and worked during most of my plays. I was stranded without soil once though... I like the idea of making small villages in each biome and would love to see the citizens farm resources in future (unless they already do? My farmers just did backflips over each other).

Most of the bugs have already been mentioned but the few that stood out to me:
    - Character faces the wrong direction when running sometimes.
    - Text flips, making it hard to read, when I go in a certain direction.
    - I can spam jump while in the air (which didn't influnece my enjoyment tbh).
    - Lazy farmers

This game really combines exploration and crafting nicely :) I think it has a lot of potential and would like to see some more generated content in future!
  • I love the art style of this game. BE=eing somone who has always loved pixel art this is right up my ally. The main issue I encountered was the text flipping making it impossible to read the cute one-liners. Otherwise, im really looking forward to what you guys change moving forward