[SA Game Jam 2019] Big Small WorX

SA Game Jam 2019
Big Small WorX
Student, Overall
Team Size: 2 [Joshua Groombridge, Filippo Cortese]
48hr entry

FULL GAME CAN NOW BE DOWNLOADED!!!!!
IF THE MAKEGAMESSA LINK DOESN'T WORK, HERE IS A LINK TO GOOGLE DRIVE:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OZYFSmnYg8M1L53UhLv047KltLKTHkpk/view?usp=sharing

Description: Vlad the Chad has an upcoming math exam he didn't study for: His plan is to go to the school's lab and create an explosion big enough to call the exam off. However, what other interesting things will he encounter along the way?

The Lab:

Vlad the Chad:

One of our explosions:

Our stations:

Some more workstations:

ATOMIC ACCELERATOR ACQUIRED !!!! :image

THE SLAP TOGETHER NUKE LIVES !!

SOME CASUAL UI:

CRAFTING: MANUAL

Comments

• Very Interesting idea, I love the art style so far, would love to see how the explosion effects end up looking. Keep it up :-D
  • I am curious to find out which other interesting things he encounters! Kaboom!
  • Love the art !
    Thanked by 1just_keito
  • I really like the pixel art!
  • In my head, I kind of hear those 8-bit sound explosions, super cool! Brings back a lot of memories :-D
  • the art work is incredible
  • The artwork is brilliant, and the movement is fluid. It did take me a few minutes to understand how the inventory system worked. The crafting element is well engineered and the sprite effects were a very nice touch.
  • Please let me know if you're based in CT, JHB or where?
  • Fengol said:
    Please let me know if you're based in CT, JHB or where?
    They're CT :)
  • I managed to get the exam cancelled and learnt a lot about chemistry and the art of nuke-building :D

The crafting system took some time to get into. Once I got the hang of things I had lots of fun combining random elements. Going to have to try that plastic recipe at home. The story behind everything was funny (and I'm pretty sure I know who Vlad is, did notice that "from Kim" on the accelerant). Got stuck for a while until I realised that I could use my security card to get to the good stuff.

My only suggestion would be to try to make the item selection a bit more user-friendly. Only having Q to scroll one way (and the item you select resets after placing an element, but the name doesn't update correctly) was a bit annoying, especially when I had to try lots of different combinations.

Great sound and the end game scene was great.

I enjoyed the game a lot ;) Well done!
  • GiGGa said:
    I managed to get the exam cancelled and learnt a lot about chemistry and the art of nuke-building :D

The crafting system took some time to get into. Once I got the hang of things I had lots of fun combining random elements. Going to have to try that plastic recipe at home. The story behind everything was funny (and I'm pretty sure I know who Vlad is, did notice that "from Kim" on the accelerant). Got stuck for a while until I realised that I could use my security card to get to the good stuff.

My only suggestion would be to try to make the item selection a bit more user-friendly. Only having Q to scroll one way (and the item you select resets after placing an element, but the name doesn't update correctly) was a bit annoying, especially when I had to try lots of different combinations.

Great sound and the end game scene was great.

I enjoyed the game a lot ;) Well done!
    We'll definitely work on the item selection some more, but unfortunately that's all we had time to do in 48 hours. We're glad you enjoyed the game! Thanks a lot for the feedback!
    Thanked by 1GiGGa
  • The art direction in this game is awesome I'm a huge fan of this artstyle, The gameplay is fun and i enjoyed trying different combinations to discover something new. I also love the humor in this game