[SA Game Jam 2018] The Fat Farmer

Sa Game Jam 2018
The Fat Farmer
Level of Experience - Student
72hr entry

2 People
One on art and one on tech.

This was our first jam and was super fun. Hope you guys enjoy.

The Fat Farmer download link.
https://origamilost.itch.io/the-fat-farmer

Comments

• Things growing is nature's way to "escalate". The barren ground starts sprouting then small plants and finally forests. Growth. I can see how this could support the theme nicely. Your colourful artwork draws me in. Very nicely done. I hope to play a concept soon! Good luck :)
    Thanked by 1Orimaso
  • Nice visuals. I wish I could draw as well you. May things grow and prosper. Giving you a green thumbs up!
    Thanked by 1Orimaso

• Got upgrades working. Sounds are in.
    Main menu and win screen.
    Can see the finish line.
    IMG_20180924_032753_692.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 45K
    IMG_20180924_032753_700.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 40K
    IMG_20180924_032753_702.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 44K
  • No Mac build, can't play :)
    Thanked by 1Orimaso
  • edited
    Cool game. My feedback to you guys are that scale your movement speed with the scale of the player. It just feels a bit weird with the upbeat fast music in the background but the player is walking slowly. Good job with doing the sound effects yourself, I would just shorten the people screaming audio effect
    Thanked by 1Orimaso
  • KleinM said:
    Cool game. My feedback to you guys are that scale your movement speed with the scale of the player. It just feels a bit weird with the upbeat fast music in the background but the player is walking slowly. Good job with doing the sound effects yourself, I would just shorten the people screaming audio effect
    Thanks for playing our game. I;m actually not sure what sound effect your referring to. I'm guessing its when you buy tractor, but no additional sounds were intended to play then. Weird. It was late nights haha
    Thanked by 1KleinM
  • Growing veggies is an interesting way of fitting to the theme, maybe make the player a bit smaller since I can just sweep the centre and grab most of the veggies (and maybe make them decay overtime), the music is suitably relaxing!
  • edited
    It starts off slow, but I was really enjoying it in the mid game where I was collecting lots of veggies. I was really looking forward to driving that tractor around (and presumably moving a bit faster). I guess that's where you ran out of time? It feels like this could keep on getting more interesting with additional upgrades that affect different aspects of the game.

The mood is super good for this kind of game. It feels like the kind of charming/cutesy game for an audience that loves farming games. To me it seems like you understand how to make an appealing casual farming game.

This also incorporates the theme really well! I can imagine this game being even more compelling with a bit more content and systems, it seems like EXACTLY the right kind of prototype/start for a game given this theme.

I think there's a bug where if you try sell your carrots before you have enough the buyers glitch out and don't come back? I presume there's a small bug in the programming there. But the game works fine if you play it as it was intended (and no other bugs occur).

Who did the music? (In the credits you list an artist and a coder, I assume then the music is a bought/free asset?)
  • It starts off slow, but I was really enjoying it in the mid game where I was collecting lots of veggies. I was really looking forward to driving that tractor around (and presumably moving a bit faster). I guess that's where you ran out of time? It feels like this could keep on getting more interesting with additional upgrades that affect different aspects of the game.

The mood is super good for this kind of game. It feels like the kind of charming/cutesy game for an audience that loves farming games. To me it seems like you understand how to make an appealing casual farming game.

This also incorporates the theme really well! I can imagine this game being even more compelling with a bit more content and systems, it seems like EXACTLY the right kind of prototype/start for a game given this theme.

I think there's a bug where if you try sell your carrots before you have enough the buyers glitch out and don't come back? I presume there's a small bug in the programming there. But the game works fine if you play it as it was intended (and no other bugs occur).

Who did the music? (In the credits you list an artist and a coder, I assume then the music is a bought/free asset?)
    Thanks for the comment. Minor bugs like what your talking about were a thing throughout the make of the game yes. The song is from AShamaluevMusic called Happy he is on youtube with a Royalty-free policy. Sound affects are also from free no copyright websites.

Glad you enjoyed!
  • Weeabro said:
    Growing veggies is an interesting way of fitting to the theme, maybe make the player a bit smaller since I can just sweep the centre and grab most of the veggies (and maybe make them decay overtime), the music is suitably relaxing!
    Someone else also had a comment on movement speed/feeling. Hard to get it right always when only one or two people are working on a game haha. Decaying fruit and veg would've been a nice touch yes. Also maybe a little bobbing up and down animation for when they spawned.

Thanks for playing!