[SA Game Jam 2017] Necromancer

Necromancer - 48 hr jam [Hobbyist]
Web and downloads hosted here: itch.io profile
Back up link for downloads: Shared Folder
Windows/OSX build for best experience

Controls
All you need is your trusty mouse and left-click!

Description
You are a necromancer who only wants to grow his undead army, but you will need to clear the dungeon, to grow your army.

I wanted to create a roguelike mechanic where you need to collect as many undead minions as you can, but you also need to use them to clear the dungeon to create more undead.
Hopefully I can spend some more time on this improving the balance and adding procedural levels with progression.

I hope you enjoy. Drop a comment if you did.

David Weatherhead

Comments

• Nice! The web player build seems quite buggy, but I really like the animations and the core gameplay mechanic definitely has potential.
    Thanked by 1Thelangfordian
  • @upside Yeah :( I didn't get chance to optimize a lot of the effects and such for web and mobile.
    Mainly focused on the Windows build working.
  • Looked cool! It would be awesome if you could add a mini-map or some lights to show where you can find minions :D
  • edited
    @kirsty_lee0 Oooh, I didn't think of a mini-map that could be really cool, with like a fog of war, to know where you have been. Great idea, thanks!
  • Added an OSX build... For that sweet sweet indie cred!
  • Really nice! I would have liked my idle minions to automatically attack any incoming threats instead of just standing there getting destroyed.
    I love the tutorial.
  • Cool concept, and the zombies/undead are cool, I had an issue where it seemed the camera would move away from the action and go black? not sure if that was because the game thought I was dead or it was a bug because it'd happen when I still had minions, it happened on both the web and windows builds.

And also I'm not too sure about the living being able to push the undead around, especially when there were more undead than living, not sure if it was an intentional design decision to force the player into more conflict, if so it could create for some interesting gameplay if you explain it in some way.

Oh yeah and the tutorial is really well done; super simple and gets the message across, there's definitely room to grow with this, good work
  • Cool concept, and the zombies/undead are cool, I had an issue where it seemed the camera would move away from the action and go black? not sure if that was because the game thought I was dead or it was a bug because it'd happen when I still had minions, it happened on both the web and windows builds.
    Lol. I made some poor collision boxes and didn't clean up some objects that slipped through in a scene. Only saw the bug just before submission :O
    I made a fix last night, will be uploading shortly :)
    And also I'm not too sure about the living being able to push the undead around, especially when there were more undead than living, not sure if it was an intentional design decision to force the player into more conflict, if so it could create for some interesting gameplay if you explain it in some way.
    I was a bit of a muppet and rushed the position calculations, and then the code got messy and I couldn't find the bug. D'oh! I did make a fix last night as well, will be in the new build :)
    Oh yeah and the tutorial is really well done; super simple and gets the message across, there's definitely room to grow with this, good work
    Thanks! My tutorials and screenshots/gifs haven't been that good in the past, just an after thought, so I really wanted to improve them this jam. It's nice to have gotten some positive feedback on that.

I definitely want to take this further, it's an idea that's grabbed me most out of my previous jams. Hope to have more updates soon.

Thanks for the comments and feedback! Always appreciated!