[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 26 July

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- Puzzle talk by @francoisvn
- Technical talk by @Stray_Train

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
- TBD (this could be you!)
- TBD (this could be you!)

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/671288029722556/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!

Comments

• I'm keen to give a talk about puzzle design and what we've been doing with Jetstream. I'll try squeeze it into 20 minutes, otherwise I might have to break it into 2 talks.

@mmillions: will there be food at the meetup again? Anything I should add to the FB event?
  • Yes, I believe we're doing food again! Last month the donations totaled nearly the full amount of the cost of the food, so that was more successful than expected (in terms of sponsoring food being a reasonable thing to do). Thanks for your generosity (those that donated).

Keen to hear your talk @francoisvn !

Also keen for more playtesting again this month! It was fun to check out what a few people were working on.

Anyone prepping talks for A MAZE Johannesburg?
  • Anyone prepping talks for A MAZE Johannesburg?
    My meetup talk is gonna be prep for my workshop at A MAZE Joburg. If there are others also wanting to prep talks, this is a good meetup for that :)
  • edited
    Hey @francoisvn! I won't be here for this month's community night, but I'll organise the order and make sure it gets delivered. Maybe we can get a volunteer to collect the donations and pay it back to Free Lives?

You can suggest a R50 donation again.
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Would anyone be interested in a technical talk? Something along the lines of explaining a programming pattern/concept, architectural concept or just working through a problem together.
  • @Stray_Train: yeah, I'd be interested in that. Maybe something you've recently used or read about?
  • @Stray_Train I would be very keen to hear a technical talk along those lines but unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this community night. Please consider doing some more in future :D
  • Cool! I'll prepare something to fill a 20 minute slot :)
    Thanked by 2dammit francoisvn
  • Just updated the agenda. There's still time left if anyone wants to use the opportunity and show their game to get some focused feedback. Otherwise bring your games so we can all play them at the meetup!
  • So what is the technical talk going to be about?

• Sorry I couldn't make it tonight. Just too much work I need to do.