[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 25 January

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots:
- Game jams from around the world by @Zhamul
- South African board game design by @avataarkaap

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
- Global Game Jam games!

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://web.facebook.com/events/531960260337865/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get some feedback, please post below!
Thanked by 1Squidcor

Comments

• Hi - I'd like to talk about connecting and invigorating our board game designer community in South Africa.

Highly appreciative if I could get one of the slots.
  • Perhaps some of the GGJ games made this weekend could be showcased ^_^
  • @avataarkaap: hey there! Have you been to one of the meetups before? If not, it might be a good idea to attend one first, just to get an idea of how things are.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Ughhhh. I'll be in CT next week, but I leave on Wednesday evening. :/
  • I am visiting Cape Town for GGJ that week, if you are interested I could give a small talk about attending different Game Jams around the world and they compare.

Also if anyone want to know about Finnish Game Industry I am open for questions during the event.
  • @Zhamul I think I met you at Unite2016 - If I remember correctly you were the guy who was demoing the VR game in the space station? :D
  • @Mexicanopiumdog Yup, that was me and the game was Pollen.
  • edited
    @avataarkaap: hey there! Have you been to one of the meetups before? If not, it might be a good idea to attend one first, just to get an idea of how things are.
    Thanks. I've not been before, so happy to take your lead. Could I at least put a request forward for any designers that would like to demo card and board game prototypes at FanCon to get hold of me?
  • Could I at least put a request forward for any designers that would like to demo card and board game prototypes at FanCon to get hold of me?
    @avataarkaap: yeah, that sounds cool. If you can share the details here or DM them to me I'll add them to the community news at the start
  • I'd like to book a slot to show the games made a GGJ CPT.

(Slot to be either used by the development team themselves, or I might have a laptop with the executables so that we can all see it -- though I have no controllers, so that may affect what can get played)
  • Very stoked on the idea of that presentation @dammit!
  • I've updated the meetup agenda for tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it!

To avoid any compatibility issues, can people please bring a machine to show their GGJ games? It might be cool to do a bit of a rapid-fire focus feedback for all the games that would like some. If you don't want feedback, it would still be cool to show your game to everyone :)
    Thanked by 1texhkt
  • dammit said:
    I'd like to book a slot to show the games made a GGJ CPT.

(Slot to be either used by the development team themselves, or I might have a laptop with the executables so that we can all see it -- though I have no controllers, so that may affect what can get played)
    My laptop is going to be a bit problematic, so, as above, if everyone could bring their own demo laptop/station that would be great! We really do want to see all the games.

• Hey guys. Will be my first Cape Town meetup. Excited to meet everyone.
  • I am definitely keen for a talk from one the Bischoffs about their Cayne release/Beautiful Desolation launch. Maybe next month's meetup if possible? :D
    @Chris_Bischoff @bischonator
    Thanked by 2texhkt BenJets
  • It was great to meet you all. Thanks for being so awesome.
  • I've updated the meetup agenda for tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it!

To avoid any compatibility issues, can people please bring a machine to show their GGJ games? It might be cool to do a bit of a rapid-fire focus feedback for all the games that would like some. If you don't want feedback, it would still be cool to show your game to everyone :)
    Your bullet-time-field game was excellent on the projector. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes