Ami Titan

edited in Projects
Ami Titan is a game I’m sloooowly working on in my free time.
I’m mainly still busy with ideas and creating mockups.

You can find more mockups here:
http://makegamessa.com/discussion/2572/test-graphics

Mockup for a log in screen.
(In case you were wondering, the password is: thepastis8bit)

Comments

• Mockup for the intro story.
  • Love the style and intro story! Keep it up
  • Wonderful setting.
  • I’ve been doing some UI tests in Unity, to test scaling on various screen sizes.
    In addition to Unity’s canvas’ auto scaling, I added some code to *try* to scale the game to pixel perfect.

480x320 -> 240x160

800x480 -> 267x160

854x480 -> 285x160

1024x600 -> 341x200

1280x800 -> 256x160

1024x768 -> 256x192

1136x640 -> 284x160

The problem child: 1334x750. The pixel perfect scale value results in a pixel height of 250, while most other screens range from 160 to 200.

1334x750 -> 445x250

• Hey @Dipso, out of interest, how are you validating these tests, or is it just a manual process?
  • Hi @CiNiMoD

Hope this answers your question :)

The goal is to divide the screen height by a number that produces no fraction, in which case it will be pixel perfect. That means, all the pixels will be the same size when scaled, also no tearing/banding when there’s movement on screen.
    (The tearing/banding happens because the textures use point sampling. I don’t think you can get rid of it completely, but it’s less noticeable when using perfect numbers.)

If the code can’t find a perfect number then it uses the nearest fractional number, which is not ideal, but I don’t know of a better way.

I try to get a game world/UI height of 160 pixels, or as near as possible, but not smaller.

Examples of screen heights:
    320: 320 / 2 = 160. Perfect, so game world/UI will be 160 pixels high.

768: 768 / 5 = 153.6. Not perfect and less than 160, so try another number.
    768: 768 / 4 = 192. Perfect, so game world/UI will be 192 pixels high.

903: 903 / 6 = 150.5. Not perfect and less than 160, so try another number.
    903: 903 / 5 = 180.6. Not perfect, so try another number.
    903: 903 / 4 = 225.75. Not perfect and moving too far away from 160.
    So game world/UI will be 180.6 pixels high. It’s the nearest size to 160, even though it’s a fraction.

(903 is an unlikely screen height, but I used it to illustrate the logic when encountering only fractional numbers.)

On a side note: In the screen shots you might notice the font has some anti-aliasing. That’s because Unity’s fonts use bilinear sampling, instead of point sampling.

• Origin of the game’s name

Some ramblings about the origin of the game’s name.

Years ago I had an idea for a game, about a young girl who goes on adventures in space, accompanied by her talking, pet alien.
    It was to be a light-hearted, platform adventure game. But it had a serious note: her parents ran away to join an intergalactic circus. They left her the house and a reminder to feed the pet alien (as a PS on their good-bye note stuck to the fridge). She sold the house and bought a space ship to go on adventures, and hopefully find her parents along the way, but the adventures were more important.

That game’s name was: The Adventures of Ami Titan

I struggled to come up with a name for the new game. Nothing seemed to fit.
    Eventually I decided to use Ami Titan, because I like the name and may never end up making that other game. If I ever make it, I’ll have to give that character a different name.

Another name I considered:
    Survivia

The name was derived from “survive”. I like it because it reminds me of the name Cyberia (an old cyberpunk game).
    If you’re in a philosophical mood and want to dig deeper (or find deeper meaning): The name became an emergent coincidence by combining “survive” and “AI” (reversed). The story involves AI in a future setting.

(Critic: That seems like a pretty far stretch to find meaning in a name, don’t you think?
    Creator: Yes, it does. But which universal rule states you can’t make life more interesting by stretching to find meaning in a name?
    Critic: But then you’re changing the meaning of a name.
    Creator: Yeah, so? I made up the name, so it can have whatever meaning I want it to have. Centuries ago the word “chair” had no meaning until someone gave it meaning. Who knows how many more names are floating around in the future waiting to be given meaning?
    Critic: Now you’re just sounding like a new age hippy.
    Creator: And you’re sounding like a kid who had to trade in their imagination for a tertiary education and a comfortable job.
    Critic: How dare you!?
    Creator: No, how dare you!?
    *fist fight*)

Conclusion: Can’t use “Survivia” because there’s already a game using it.

• The item info screen. Displayed when you collect certain items in a level, also when you click an item in the inventory. I'll re-use the frame and X button for some other screens.

Personal note to self: I should probably stop sharing story reveals for a while, or else there'll be nothing left for the player to discover :P
  • Cyberia... now that brings back memories :) (also shows my age) if the shaders were that odd green and black it would feel just like it. The art and concept looks intresting, and the art reminds me of Pokemon. Will this be a primary story/puzzle driven game?
  • @JustPlainInsane

Good question.
    I still need to figure it out :)
    I’m still not sure to what degree the story will drive the game.
  • Conversation screen.

• Latin? You might be going a bit too niche here, looks great btw. :)
  • @critic
    Lol, no. Game not gonna use Latin :)
    The “Lorem ipsum...” text is often used by graphic designers to test layouts.

Thanks for the compliment.

Although, the Latin’s an interesting idea. Maybe some AI speak Latin to each other when they don’t want humans to understand. In a snobbish way :) And for some, a way to emphasise the “us versus them” mentality.

Makes me wonder: An AI created in one country, should be able to understand any human language. But due to international laws, their languages might be restricted (e.g. a simplified version would be the region encoding on DVDs). The AI might even have code to prohibit it from learning another language.
    It’s probably unlikely in a future society, with stuff like Google translate already existing now. But then again, it’s not far fetched that a law can be created, based on emotion, which could lead to such a scenario.

Anyway, that was a brain dump of raw thoughts. Stuff to think about :)
    Thanked by 1critic
  • edited
    Trick is to enable the player to understand what is not understandable, if what they say is unknown to the player it's just a clever trick without much content except it being 'secret'. On the other hand, having your character understand Latin, while the AI that speak it in secret think that you don't understand it could open up a whole new sub-plot. You could also isolate the player from the character, giving the player the translation, while the character is oblivious to it.
    Thanked by 1Dipso
  • Testing out the Corgi Engine before using it for Ami Titan.