[Event] Johannesburg Community Evening - 12 July 2016

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 12 July
Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg. Auditorium 3

Content
- 6:30 - 7:00 Grab food elsewhere + bonding time
- Community News (5 min)

===
- City Builder Analysis - @Fengol (15 min)
- Talk 2 (15 min)

===
- SA Game Jam Presentations
- Paperwork - @Jecht (10 min)
- Game Presentation 2 (10 min)

===
- Playtest Pitchathon (if you're playtesting a game, we ask that you give a 30 second pitch to the room about what the game is, before we all break off and play things).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Board game prototypes can and will be played so bring along your prototypes!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the Facebook event

Comments

• Hey hey :)

After the meta talks at the last meetup I've been talking to some people about what we're doing at the meetup.

So there is going to be some tinkering with what's going on. This is going to be an ongoing process and will keep on changing until we find something to settle on. I'll run through some of the changes, and why we're doing them.

1. Intros are gone. No one likes them, and you normally don't remember peoples names.

2. There are two talk slots which are capped at 15 minutes. Getting talks is normally a big challenge. The 15min limit is to give people time to structure their talks. Also we're trying to keep away from discussion style talks since those end up as a back and forth between two or three people while a bunch of people are sitting around being bored. There will still be some time to ask questions at the end of a talk.

3. Game Presentations. These are replacing focused feedback, kinda. Focused feedback has a similar problem to the discussion style talks where it ends up as a back and forth between a small group of people while most people are checking their phones. The presentation slot is to let people show cool works to the community, and if you have feedback you can talk to the creator(s) during the playtest time.
  • In the absence of intros, I think we should keep doing the nametags.

Better yet, if us regulars remember to bring regular nametags (like maybe our badges from some other events or whatever) we can make it a thing :)
    Thanked by 2Karuji DaveRussellSA
  • I should still have all the left over name tags from GGJ if I can find them.
  • I'd like to reserve a slot to do some design analysis on city builder games
    Thanked by 2Karuji mattbenic
  • Thanks @Fengol :) really interested to see what research you've done into Maharaja's genre!
  • Ah yes, those changes sound much better.

I really liked seeing people's games and having a platform to showcase what you're working on without feeling like you *had* to be looking for specific feedback, so it sounds like you going back to that format which is cool!
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • @Nitrogen thanks for the feedback! I think we continually try and iterate on things, but sometimes things change and we become a bit stuck when we should adapt.

I can't remember exactly who I was having this conversation with at GDC. But it had to do with a kind of consent of feedback. Like does the creator want feedback? What kind of feedback to they want, and what would be helpful for them know.

A lot of this has less to do with what you say and more to do with how it's said. And I think it's something that we haven't been that good with as a community.

So yeah, I'm excited to see how this format works out and where we can go with it!
  • Hey everyone,

Well be in auditorium 3 this evening. Also note there won't be catering this evening.
    Hope to see you there :)
  • edited
    May I propose everyone who participated in the SA Game Jam present their game. Well, if they'd like to.
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • @SUGBOERIE That sounds like a great idea. Let's do that tonight?
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • edited
    @SUGBOERIE sounds good, would depend on numbers thougb, but we should be able to manage 5 min a game kinda thing :)
  • That moment when you realise that you're driving from Nelspruit to JHB for work on the same day as the MGSA meetup. YEAH!!!!!!
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • @FanieG woot :D looking forward to having you here!
  • That was a really cool meetup, I enjoyed seeing everyone's games and that amazing Lucas art's inspired game. Anyone got a link to their site?