[Event] Johannesburg Community Evening - 10 May 2016

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 10 May
Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg. In Auditorium 2

Content
- 6:30 - 7:00 Grab food elsewhere + bonding time
- Zoe's Introductions ~5 mins
- Community News 5 min
- Level Design - @Bensonsance

Focused Feedback (10 minute slots)
-Echoplex 魔音謎宮 - @typhvs

- Playtest Pitchathon (if you're playtesting a game, we ask that you give a 30 second pitch to the room about what the game is, before we all break off and play things).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Board game prototypes can and will be played so bring along your prototypes!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the Facebook event
Thanked by 1francoisvn

Comments

• Hey, you might want to add a link to this thread on FB so that people who only discover the meetup through there can participate in pitching talks, etc.

Also, don't forget to cross-post to ZAGD as well ;)
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • I would like to have a slot to have a meta discussion on how we're using the Joburg meetups. I think we can shift how we use them, because we're now down to a smaller core audience.

I can also do a ~30 min talk on level design if anyone is interested. :)
  • @dislekcia added the link back to the thread, also yay cyclic linking. Also I'm not actually sure how cross posting works. Now to figure out cross posting :P (I don't really use FB)

@Bensonance haha I was actually planning on running a survey thing to gather some data about how we're using the meets and what people want to get out of the evenings.

I think the level design talk could be really cool!

Reminds me that I need to poke @Tuism since we has talking about doing a talk about how game design can influence community culture which could be a rather interesting talk.
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Consider me poked and yeah, I'd love to do something on game design and community culture, it'll be rough as hell as it's all swimming in my head alongside the mess of AfrikaBurn stuff that's still knocking about in there, so it'll hopefully be more a sharing of ideas than a definitive education on the subject :)
  • Hello, we'd love to come along, we've just completed a prototype for our game Echoplex, and are working on the alpha now. http://echoplex.co :)
  • @typhvs: you game looks interesting. Any plans to post the prototype on the forums here? I'm sure people would be keen to check it out and maybe giving some useful feedback.
  • @francoisvn thanks! I've just posted it now over here - would love to get feedback. Nice to find this lovely site... :)
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Lots of cool stuff this month :)

Chatted to Tuism and gave 'em some extra time to work on the talk, so that'll be in June.
  • Thanks to everyone that came to the meetup last night, was really cool seeing you there.

Super thanks to @Bensonance for a really great talk! I really wish we'd filmed it since it'd make a great resource.

Also big thanks to @typhvs for coming to his first meetup and showing us the game; it's rather cool :) Hope we'll see you at a meets in the future
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • We keep talking about filming stuff and really it should only take a tripod and any random point and snap camera to make crappy ones. We *must* have that between us? I have a camera. I don't have a tripod. Who has a tripod?
  • edited
    Thanks for listening, everyone!

Was great to see Echoplex, @typhvs!

Here are my slides from the talk in case anyone else wants to read them.

The article I spoke about at the end that gives a delightfully different perspective on how we should structure games is Zach Gage's Designing for Problem Solvers
  • Tuism said:
    We keep talking about filming stuff and really it should only take a tripod and any random point and snap camera to make crappy ones. We *must* have that between us? I have a camera. I don't have a tripod. Who has a tripod?
    I have a camera and a tripod but I must just make a plan to actually attend one of these events
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • edited
    Yeah. For those of us that are otherwise located *cough* Potchefstroom *cough* having some videos of meetups will really help us stay motivated. I would be ever grateful if you guys could manage to do this.
  • Hey thanks guys! it was inspiring to be there and very helpful to hear the feedback. :)

@karuji @bensonance @tuism