Anyone in Pretoria hosting anything like a get together of sorts to chat about making games etc?

Title pretty much asks my question, I live in Pretoria and I'd really like to get into the gaming industry however I don't really know people and I want to know if there are any places where I can get to know people like that.

Thanks for any info
Fabian.

Comments

• MGSA runs regular meetups in JHB. I used to drive to those when I lived in PTA. I suspect there are some other PTA locals on here that might drive through to the meetups regularly, perhaps they'd be able to offer you a lift and share petrol?

P.S. Hey peeps, when's the next JHB meetup, Feb?
  • edited
    Next JHB meet is Tuesday the 9th of September February :)

I believe @CodeCthulu regularly makes the PTA to JHB trek for the meet ups.

Edit: I some how mixed Feb and September, derp.
  • Karuji said:
    Next JHB meet is Tuesday the 9th of September :)
    Um... September?
  • @_@ my brain is obviously not braining well today, sorry :(

February not September. More coffee for me!
  • Maybe we should organize our own PTA meetup or organize a lift club to JHB?
    Thanked by 1charly
  • Hey guys, I agree - I want to be involved in a PTA meetup.
  • Wolfbeard said:
    Maybe we should organize our own PTA meetup or organize a lift club to JHB?
    I'd suggest a lift club over a new meetup, at least until the numbers of regulars are too big for multiple cars. How else are you going to know what the meetups are like? ;)
  • I also live in Pretoria, but don't use unity3d.. . I prefers open source tools. Cocos2d-x, libgdx or talking about game AI or shader programming... Most of this meetings end up being about Unity, so I feel left out. That's the reason I sometimes don't see a reason of attending this meetups.
  • I have to say, just because people use Unity doesn't make any of our meetups "about" Unity. We use the meetup to talk about game design (which applies whether you're using C++ or pen and paper), playtest each other's games (we play Unity AND gamemaker AND paper games, the platform hardly matters when playing the game), talk about community things like... How some people got kickstarted, lessons in distribution, maybe sometimes overseas devs/publishers come over for meet & greet.

It's about making games, game dev communities, playing games, etc. I've really hardly ever seen it be "about unity". There are workshops here and there about specific technical things, but those are *really* rare. Like really.

If you crave technical discussions, then maybe suggest more technical discussions and see what other people say. But making games is a lot more than technical discussions... Heck I'd say that technical stuff is only the gateway. You need a lot more than that to make games.
  • Mostly just seconding Tuism, and throwing out some numbers: in the past year of 11 meetups in 2015 JHB has had 0 talks on Unity, or Game Maker. We've had 1 workshop on shader which was titled towards Unity.

I think it would be more beneficial for PTA people to visit the JHB meet. We've been having these meets for over 5 years and have quite a few veteran developers that people could learn quite a bit from.
    Thanked by 2dislekcia francoisvn
  • I used to live in Pretoria and attended the jhb meetups. I know it can be difficult to get there sometimes but I really think a car pool is a better idea. The more people that gets shoved in a room together the better. Also, JHB community is super lucky for how well Microsoft treats them. Abuse that! ;)
  • We are hoping to have some small meetups in PTA as well with the start of the Global Game Jam this month, so if we can make it to this event then the company sponsoring the venue is willing to give us the venue on a monthly basis.
    The meetup happening in JHB has experience for the fact that they have been doing that for some times now, so having some of them coming to meetups we will organize here will be good as well. So If you in PTA, anywhere in PTA, make it to the Jam so that we can have a database of people around here and we can easily have venue available.
    The venue is Mlab, at the innovation hub.
    Thanked by 1WilliamHK
  • Any information about the jam?
  • SkinnyBoy said:
    Any information about the jam?
    Check the thread in the discussions. All the information you could need is there.
  • Wolfbeard said:
    Maybe we should organize our own PTA meetup or organize a lift club to JHB?
    dislekcia said:
    MGSA runs regular meetups in JHB. I used to drive to those when I lived in PTA. I suspect there are some other PTA locals on here that might drive through to the meetups regularly, perhaps they'd be able to offer you a lift and share petrol?

P.S. Hey peeps, when's the next JHB meetup, Feb?
  • Can you guys tell me when the meet up on the 9th is happening. Would really like to meet up with you guys and share some idea and to hear what is happening in the developers world in SA
  • The meetups are always the same:

2nd tuesday of each month (the next one is on the 9th indeed) at the Microsoft head office on William Nicol, starts at around 6:30, although I always try to get there earlier, around 5:30 for food (thanks Microsoft) and chats and sometimes playtests :)
  • edited
    Event thread is up ;)

The thread normally goes up after Cape Town have had their monthly meetup
  • Yeah i would like to join as well! I'm also looking to make games and stuff :D
  • @Overload0101 more than welcome to join :)

General question: have you folks started looking into a lift club from PTA
  • Oh I'm so going to be there. And I'll be driving up so I'm good for transport. Haha just wonder if we will see the people in here. Haha won't know whose who. But I'm definitely excited
  • Sorry if I misread the post but where in JHB and at what time?
  • The JHB meet is hosted at:

Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg. In Auditorium 2.

The time is 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 9 February