Job as a Game Tester

edited in Portfolios
Hi;

I'm looking for work as a part time game tester.
I test for 20+ hours a week on a game if required to.
Please contact me if interested or if you know someone who is.

My e-mail is jamesj1992m@yahoo.com

Thanks. :-)

Comments

• I am not sure there are many devs here that would pay for testing. I might be proven wrong of course. I know some larger companies do have testing departments but I would assume the people working there had some credentials and skills that make them suitable testers over and above enthusiasm.
  • I feel the same, but it's good to just lay it out there as an idea.
    I've been part of testing a game and it's hard work, so I know what it involves.
    Since it's a lot of documentation of bugs and how they occurred.
  • I feel the same, but it's good to just lay it out there as an idea.
    I've been part of testing a game and it's hard work, so I know what it involves.
    Since it's a lot of documentation of bugs and how they occurred.
    Maybe give a bit more of an idea of the kind of experience you have. What kind of game have you been testing and what areas are your responsibility to test?
  • @Enthused_Dragon, I have the same questions as @dammit.

My first thought was: "What can you do that's better than posting my game on MGSA and getting (free)feedback that way".

I'm not saying you don't have something better to offer, even something that's worth paying for. What I'm saying is that I don't know what it is that you have to offer. I think it might help your cause to spell out exactly what it is that you can do as a tester that would benefit the person/people paying your fee.

As always(for me, anyways), I would like you to point at a game and say: "I helped to make this by doing this and that". It's the easiest way for me to get a sense of what you can actually do.
  • edited
    Well the few games I have tested was mostly overall testing of the game play and UI.
    I had to not really play the so much as study it and look for faults or how I can cause faults.
    I had to stress test the UI to make sure that moving from one UI to another doesn't cause errors.
    I had to make sure that the areas in game assigned to me was bug free, no odd textures or incorrectly placed objects, I had to make sure there is no player clipping that happens through other meshes, etc.
    The only big game I tested for a small while was "The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot", but wasn't payed for it since I offered free help for experience, and was unfortunately unaccounted for.
    The rest was small indie games which I was payed a once off fee to test it for a X amount of time.
  • i will love to do that,
  • This is an interesting related read I saw the other day: http://trenchescomic.com/tales/post/you-get-what-you-pay-for

It's aimed more at bigger companies that have testing departments, but for anyone looking to get into that field it points to some of the skills you may want to aim at improving. Hint: Testing games is not the same as just playing games and trying to break them ;)