Lazygamer's trying to tell what qualifies as a successful indie.

edited in General
http://www.lazygamer.net/south-africa/what-classes-as-a-successful-indie/

In case anyone missed it.

I think, personally, any game that gets international attention and can commercially sustain itself is successful. Sure there are different yardsticks of success, but that doesn't prevent being able to do what you love all the time from being a form of success.

Go discuss :)
Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood

Comments

• "So a fair section of the local indie development scene still hates me for reasons that aren’t crystal clear"

SO PROFESSIONAL.

" I thought we could try have a discussion with everyone in the comments section"

Interpreted: "Damn, I wish all this chatter on Twitter was happening on my site instead where I can track clicks and ad revenue!"

"with the promise of beta access"

That kinda implies it's something that was promised that has yet to come to fruition, and not something that currently exists.

"but in my personal opinion I see pre-orders as different from crowd-funding"

Did he write this just to have a pop at DD?

"I’m not naming any of the prolific hobbyists in case someone else get’s their panties/boxers twisted."

Again, so professional.

"Is it fair to say people like QCF (Desktop Dungeons) have taken too long on their game and must now release it?"

Yep, I think he did.
  • I believe DD is close to release, and I totally see this guy spinning it as "I see my words have gotten through to them".
  • Also I don't think success should be measured in money. Johan Sebastian Joust is a successful game. Battle For Wesnoth is successful.

badger_nope.gif
    320 x 240 - 3M
    hurdur.png
    431 x 388 - 38K
  • @dyslekcia I'm amazed. You summed up the entire article perfectly purely through a series of images. You have mad l33t skillz.
  • "Local Game Journalist Attempts Dig At Indies, Completely Fails To Elicit Validation, Silently Holds Back Tears"
  • Haha so true. I had a response planned out for the LG comments thread, thought how to word it logically, but... just, no. Given how much build up there was to the article, I've never seen so much dead-horse-floggery (yup, floggery).

What I keep coming back to though, is that from what I understand about DD, it's an almost entirely complete product, and you guys are mostly expanding and fixing some things (please do correct me if I'm wrong). You could, in theory, flick a hypothetical switch and flag the game as "complete", and it would make Gavin (and, apparently, thousands of riotous gamers) very happy. But it's this notion that what you have can't be played and enjoyed until it's released that just seems nuts.

In terms of what is successful as an indie, I think we're doing pretty well: Winning major awards at the IGF, having massive YT channels playing our games, getting greenlit in nearly record time, and having our games at numerous international festivals. I don't think it should be necessary to do a collective credential check for the games that come from MGSA, but when people try to define the success of an indie by Farmville's success, I feel it necessary to point out that we have some awesomely successful games!
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • The whole discussion is just a passive-aggressive farce. I'm sad I wasted brain-cycles on this and gave their site a couple more hits when I have games to make.
  • edited
    To be honest I was trying to not be the cynic I am with everything I say, but yes, I thought as much :3 blatant attempt at driving traffic. If he really wanted to engage, there's a whole forum here.
  • Yeah, agreed... I kinda regret trying to get involved in the discussion, I don't think anything I said could sway the underlying motive of the article.
  • edited
    I don't think anything I said could sway the underlying motive of the article.
    And will probably fund further ire. When I commented on the last one my comments were dismissed as 'sticking up for friends'. When someone's on a warpath like this they'll turn any comment into a self-aggrandising argument.

On the notion of success: I think it's very relative to personal goals. So far as The Maker's Eden is concerned, we'll consider Act 1 a success if it sells enough to fund the development of Act 2. In terms relative to how much money AAA games rake in, that's tiny and not really 'successful' at all. But it'll be OUR success.
  • edited
    What was the point of that article.

Erm so I only now noticed the tape measure set at 6 inches. Kinda says more then the rest of that article to me.
  • traffic yo

I suspect that they're falling victim to an office culture of valuing controversy. Controversy over truth or actual value even.
  • edited
    This is meant to be journalism?!
    you did not try.png
    402 x 424 - 11K
    MeasureSuccess.jpg
    500 x 275 - 74K
  • I'm so glad I wasn't sipping my coffee at that moment, I made a most terrific snort.
    Thanked by 2danelle Elyaradine
  • Oh come now people. No reason to get all uppity about this. If he believes DD has taken too long because he doesn't like extended open beta's that his problem. Being called a hobbyist is demeaning but not when it's from a hobbyist journalist. You can't get upset every time someone states a misinformed negative opinion of you online.
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • true but,

Hobbyist 'journalist' with metacritic status and misinformed negative bias as DD nears release. No problem there?
  • Hobbyist 'journalist' with metacritic status and misinformed negative bias as DD nears release. No problem there?
    ^ This.

Lazygamer's traffic was the sixth highest in SA last month. Not for gaming sites - for all sites. It may be hobbyist journalism but it's a heavily visited site that unfortunately has some sway upon its readers. The owner is not taking that position seriously and handling it with the respect it merits. It's one thing to air personal gripes on your personal blog - it's another to do it in a professional capacity on a website that's expected to be professional in providing unbiased coverage of the gaming scene in South Africa.
    Thanked by 3danelle damousey Ratel
  • edited
    The real question then is:

"What makes a successful gaming website?"

Is it: Has Evan Greenwood personally heard of them in a context other than "they want to interview him" or has ever intentionally visited it for anything other that to head the interview they posted"

If so, then not successful.

Or is it: Are they doing something they love and are able to achieve the goals they set for themselves and also maybe afford to live a comfortable life (by their standards) while doing so?

If so, then... probably?

In any case that is the standard I'd think any reasonable person would hold up to judge whether someone else was successful.

If this Gavin person expects to set other people's criteria for success from their perspective by describing his criteria for success from his perspective, then he's being a little derp.
  • Though seriously now.

We all know that you can only measure success by the number of jacuzzi's the person has access to.
  • edited
    “What are your choices when someone puts a gun to your head?
    What are you talking about? You do what they say or they shoot you.
    WRONG. You take the gun, or you pull out a bigger one. Or, you call their bluff. Or, you do any one of a hundred and forty six other things.”

― Harvey Specter, Suits
    Thanked by 2damousey Tuism
  • The article seems like click bait. I wish I'd not made that click, but a concerned citizen mailed me the link and it seemed relevant to my interests.

Isn't one of the beautiful and important things about being indie that you get to set your own goals?
    Thanked by 1raithza
  • Also @BlackShipsFilltheSky - its not how many jacuzzi's, its the quality of gold used in their production.
  • @colinGravity I'm still a fair way away from success (I have access to zero jacuzzis as I write this). And at such a distance it is hard for me to determine the material properties of true success (as I am a bit short sighted and have been too lazy to purchase glasses). Thanks for clarifying that for me!
    Thanked by 1LazyLizzard
  • It's not about the number of jacuzzis, it's about the number of people that get into it / them :)
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • I am a bit short sighted and have been too lazy to purchase glasses
    Please use the world Lazy with some respect. I'd hate to have to WWE you lot. Lazy-Gamer will answer to me too at some point :P
  • edited
    @hermantulleken Is it more successful then to have only one person per jacuzzi (and so a jacuzzi per team member) or is it more successful to have one jacuzzi filled with fabulous people (implying we would have friends to go with the communal jacuzzi).
  • The latter of course!
  • edited
    I don't know, I think I'm leaning towards one gold-plated jacuzzi per person, with a spare gold-plated jacuzzi for good measure. Wherein the gold is of such a high purity that even the slightest heat melts it.

And if Lazy Gamer has taught us anything, it's that there can only be one subjective measure of success.
  • I still would have liked to fill my jacuzzi with fabulous people, but you are right. We must conform.
  • edited
    Hey... Isn't the primary obstacle in being a professional independent game developer that of overcoming obscurity?

If that is true (and I think it can reasonably be said to be true), then having one of the most ill-informed games websites with regards to indie gaming not only notice you, but be vaguely aware (if confused) of your development process, and go so far as to bemoan that you haven't released your game yet...

Is surely one of the best indicators that you are successful that is possible?

If so, then conglaturations QCF! You're a success!

In all seriousness though. I think we need to nail this question of "What constitutes independent game development success?" before we do any more work that might not be in line with being seen as successful by Lazy Gamer.

There are jacuzzi salesmen who's livelihoods depend on it.
    Thanked by 1hermantulleken
  • I just want to point out, that according to LazyGamer Van Gogh was never a successful artist as he didn't make money from his paintings.

• edited
    @Rigormortis Well... Van Gogh did live in destitution, fail tragically in his love life, eventually committed suicide due to sadness, and owned zero jacuzzis (gold plated or otherwise). I'd hesitate to call him "successful".
  • Yeah actually, you could say that he "is" successful now, but if I were him I wouldn't care if I "will be" successful while I was basically completely unhappy.

If my measure of my success is whether my work will fetch millions that will never enrich my own life then ok... But I wouldn't wish that on myself.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky, I think you are turning into a jacuzist, I wash my hands of this whole affair. Good day sir.
  • @Rigormortis I take it you have no jacuzzi? In that case your points, however logical and well conveyed, are invalid!
  • Passive-aggressive sniping does no credit to either side. The article is seething with it, no doubt, but I can't say the community's sniping back is doing us any favours either. It'll be turned against us to invalidate what legitimate qualms we have. That's how the Interwebtubes work, sadly.

If judged to be viable, use the mindshare to punt your game. Otherwise, do not engage.

CentInput(2);
    Thanked by 1raithza
  • edited
    @Gazza_N I'm not convinced their is a benefit in being civil towards Lazy Gamer.

We did an interview with them. The effect: Nada. Zero. Zilch.

But LazyGamer can do harm to us, as they were doing with implying that Desktop Dungeons is not sincerely being worked on (they compared it to that CLASH game that got kickstarted for $500,000 and subsequently didn't work on it full time). That's a dangerous allegation to throw at a developer who's livelihood is the trust that their game will be released and will be good. And in this case it was entirely unfounded.

In fact I'd guess QCF have grounds for taking legal action against them. I don't think they have pulled that article or corrected it. (Obviously I'm not suggesting legal action or the threat thereof would be a smart move).

So I'd rather them not talk about South African games at all. They clearly don't have a sincere interest in them.

I think they actively dislike most independent games in fact. And so coming up on their radar for geographical reasons makes no sense.

And I think being prickly with them could cause them to be less happy as human beings.

This is the Interwebtubes, and the mob rules! "That's how the Interwebtubes work, sadly."

And as far as I know they have no jacuzzis.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky: I'm well aware of the context of this little feud - I was one of the people on the Twitters who called them out quite vocally on the CLANG comparison.

I simply argue that you need to think about how you come across to the greater audience when you argue, that's all. Your conduct will sway opinions. If we resort to the same sniping, we come across just as badly.

If you think there's no benefit to your game or company in engaging, I argue you shouldn't engage at all. Not publically, at least. :P

Also, jacuzzis are overrated. Need moar sauna rooms.
    Thanked by 2Karuji LexAquillia
  • Sauna ftw, though they lack the sleeze that goes with a jacuzzi

[quote = "Charlie Sheen"]You know it was a good shower when you come out feeling dirtier than when you went in.[/quote]
  • WelshPixie

Lazygamer's traffic was the sixth highest in SA last month. Not for gaming sites - for all sites. It may be hobbyist journalism but it's a heavily visited site that unfortunately has some sway upon its readers.
    Heyah @WelshPixie, do you mind if I ask which database you got those traffic stats from? I had a look using our research tools and this site only pops up as 77th of the officially monitored sites in SA based on pageviews (traffic for Sept of roughly 156k pageviews, compared with Mweb sitting at 5th with 4.3 million views)
  • @Gibbo From an MWEB author report sent to MWEB Gamezone authors. I'm sure they've said it's for *all* South African sites but possibly it's just for domains hosted on the MWEB network (it's not restricted to gaming sites - the #1 on the list for September is EatOut)? Just noticed though that the figures it's showing are UBs. It has LazyGamer at #6 with 48.5k and MWEB gaming at #8 with 42.5k.
  • @WelshPixie Heh fair enough, it's most likely the domain hosted figures then. In terms of UB's LazyGamer sits at position 102 for that figure of 48.5k (matches up with what I've got). Number 1 overall is News24 with 3.6 million UB's :)
  • edited
    I think this pretty much sums up the lazy gamer article:

Although I think @dislekcia's graphs are probably more succinct.
  • edited
    @Gazza_N I haven't been posting at Lazy Gamer, just here. And I don't think I should have to censor myself.

I think you're totally overreacting, and being politically correct on a suburban level.
  • edited
    I would just like to share this somewhat relevant piece of sublime musical genius by Denis Leary.

You may wish to substitute lyrics with those of your own devising, but please ensure the chorus remains intact ;)

@Gibbo - Ah, gotcha, thanks for clarifying! A mere blot on the landscape, then. Yay.
  • edited
    @BlackShipsFilltheSky: Not saying you have to do anything, although my post probably came across that way. Your approach is your own. I think that by being civil we gain the upper hand, but that's me.

As for "overreacting" and being "politically correct", well, not really. I just find the whole thing tiresome and unnecessary, is all.
    Thanked by 1raithza
  • The major issue with LazyGamer was simply an incorrect expectation of basic journalistic conduct:

We expected journalists who had our contact details to contact us and check their facts before posting assumptions in answer to questions they were being asked about out work.

We expected journalists to correct incorrect information that they had already printed, once they received more accurate information.

We expected journalists to use the information we provided them to inform their readers, instead they used information to imply further incorrect assumptions as though they were factual.

That simply points to our expectations being incorrect. We have rectified that and no longer expect LazyGamer to behave as journalists would. We have been in contact with every LazyGamer writer and, while at least one of them has expressed a desire to handle things in a more professional manner, I'm afraid that we can't risk expecting journalistic integrity from LazyGamer as a whole. An organisation that has Metacritic rating capabilities and drives no perceivable traffic difference when they cover us, is not worth risking our image over.

We have debated turning this into a larger news story elsewhere, especially in light of my recent talk at AMAZE. We're not pursuing this angle right now because we have a game to finish and there's the chance that our private interactions with LazyGamer staff might still have a positive impact.
  • Arseing about aside, I think that's a pretty solid plan of attack. :)