Art hole

edited in General
Hello, I am an aspiring artist and I would really like some honest feedback on some of the works I have been doing. This art dump will start out with a somewhat small collection of works, but I will constantly update it with new (and hopefully improved) works.

below are Ipad pieces
Untitled artwork 2013-03-27 (05.52.45-602 PM).png
1536 x 2048 - 666K
Untitled artwork 2013-07-11 (08.32.20-134 AM).jpg
1536 x 2048 - 963K
Untitled artwork 2013-07-11 (08.32.21-114 AM).jpg
1536 x 2048 - 1M

Comments

• edited
    Here are also some of the concept art I have done for games
    Space.jpg
    3276 x 3405 - 579K
    concept.png
    2480 x 3508 - 288K
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Great style! :)

I think your poses are quite stiff and straight. It could help to take a leaf from animation, and use a curvier line of action in general.
  • edited
    Hey there, thank you @Elyaradine for the feedback. Over the past week I have been working on these as quick and rough as I can. Most of them are just to create atmosphere or make a character, and also trying to make my poses more dynamic. But here here is my last weeks.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    character4.jpg
    3508 x 2480 - 479K
    Boxhead2.jpg
    2480 x 3508 - 616K
    Dystopia.jpg
    3508 x 2480 - 882K
    military 3.jpg
    3508 x 3508 - 829K
    Major Pain.jpg
    3508 x 3508 - 662K
    Sci-FI.jpg
    2480 x 3508 - 848K
    Dystopic.jpg
    3508 x 2480 - 1M
    Bckground.jpg
    3508 x 3508 - 1M
    Mood Board.jpg
    3508 x 3508 - 2M
    Thanked by 1Kaiser_Gun
  • edited
    Love how successfully stylized some of your work is.

It looks to me like you have an eye for designing characters that would be brilliant in a low poly game. Seems like a smart thing to practice. I especially like the boxy old dude (I do like stylized art a lot).

The ladies you draw appear to all have somehow been interrupted while they were getting dressed O_O

Thanked by 2iceblademush hanli
  • Yeah I like the first boxy police bot guys the most, but most of all I love how you're comfortable swimming between different styles! :)
  • Great stuff, definitely some impactful character design & concept art!
  • Ohhh I love that last one with the broken engine! I LOVE how the deep dark of the engine and the size of it is juxtaposed with the dry and otherwise uninviting landscape. It's very striking!
  • its like merging the guildwars art with the half-life universe. amazing.
  • He insists on calling his undressed ladies 'mood' or 'colour' practice. I give him unending shit about it :P (maybe one day he'll learn to draw clothes)
    It may be useful to add that the latest batch of images are all character designs and concept art for a large project they are working on, based on the theme of "South African Sci-fi". There is some pretty awesome stuff coming out.
    Thanked by 2Bensonance TasticLuc
  • I like drawing ladies in the nudd too. My favourite doodle fodder. Torsos in particular, oh, oh!

Despite this, I don't think they should be included as serious portfolio work. It would be in the same region as including fanart "I drew it because I like it" does not compare with "I was exploring a coloured lighting technique" or "I built a design language and applied it to both organic and inorganic surfaces."

Nevermind that, as an Art dump thread you can post whatever you like.

Something I'd really like to see more of is what you'd do with taking a stylization and treatment like you've used on boxhead2 and apply that to a range of characters. What does his wife look like? or his dog? what would a dalmatian look like compared to a pug in that world? Boxhead2, to me, feels like a great caricature and treatment, that could potentially be very efficient in a game production pipeline, or animation, or at the very least a truly awesome portfolio segment. But as a character design it needs context and extrapolation, with more examples we could see what parts of this image are caricature and what parts are lens and style. Character design is not so much about designing a character itself, but designing the range of differences between characters.

One reason I really want to see you explore this more is that all your dudes are interesting, simplified, caricatured and extremely expressive, and in the cases when they're there to support a larger composition, aptly insignificant; but your girls ( at least from what I can see here so far) seem to be designed and built by an entirely different process, as if your subcribing to a set of rules built by someone else for something else. Maybe pretty girls for pretty girls sake following rules for pretty girls as made by Artgerm, Glen keane etc? Pretty girls are fun to draw, figuring out what makes a cute button nose work at all angles is REALLy fun, doing that exercise with armoured boobs is even MOAR FUN. But rather than draw the cute button nose/boobs/armour according to outside influences, cross reference reality and stylization your own way. Take real life anatomy and pose and throw boxhead's brushstrokes and simplification at it. Instead of focusing on the components that are suppose to make them look cute and sexy, design your own stylization rules.

I dare you

• Thank you very much @Damousey for that comment. It gave me a lot of food for though and direction for future art works.

I also have a new piece I would like to show.image
    Clouds.jpg
    3508 x 2480 - 2M
  • @TasticLuc - DAMN you're talented! This stuff is amazing.
  • Gosh - love your stuff. Really pretty. I'm no artist so can't critique on technique or anything, but I CAN tell you that as eye-candy goes, it's pretty darn fine eye-candy :D
  • Sorry I have been Inactive for very long, been occupied with University work. here are some of the new Character designs I have done for an isometric space Sim game. These are the characters which are going to be animated in SPINE. For now these are the base models, as well as a pair of finished characters who have been divided into independent pieces, ready to animate.imageimageimageimage
    CharacterUndermodels.jpg
    1600 x 1646 - 291K
    Characters.jpg
    4724 x 2480 - 1M
    Male muscular Template.jpg
    655 x 1582 - 336K
    Male muscular TemplateWhite.jpg
    655 x 1582 - 353K
  • I am loving these last one specifically you nailed the skin color. You did color the back left part of the boot in the color of his pants making his left foot seam smaller though :p

Look forward to seeing how you animate in spine for isometric. One aspect of your two male figures here is you will need to redraw then for left and right views. As you have a diagonal distinction that makes left and right sides look different. Completely worth while if they are main toons in your product. Assuming your game allows four directions you already need to draw front facing and back facing versions so that tipples to 4 version for these guys.