D: Left or Right

The Idea

So I started thinking about the lack of choice in video games, and how many games nowadays are linear and push the player on a specific unavoidable path, I too am guilty of this as Pixel Boy only has one ending and isn't a bad thing but I want to play with the idea of lots of choice with few buttons, almost a contrast. When competition D showed up on the forum I thought that this could be an awesome time to experiment with a heavily choice driven gameplay experience.

So that brings me to the core Idea for Left or Right. In the game the player will be able to use the left or right arrow keys to move left or right and do various other things (like jump by pressing one while holding the other, or interact with objects by tapping both). The core design is to be very choice driven in a 2D side scroller platformer-esque (god that should be word) manner, with the player collecting objects and doing jumps and solving puzzles.

I've just come up with the idea and it hasn't germinated very far but I would like to play with it, heavy inspiration for the game comes from games like KOLM (http://armorgames.com/play/11743/kolm-2)

Am looking forward to seeing what other people do for this :)

Comments

• edited
    Left right idea sounds a bit like facemash by Mark Zuckerburg and think what that led to :)
  • Billions of dollars?
  • Exactly. There was also the whole social network thing, but who cares if there is lots of monies involved :)
  • Sorry I'm a little confused here :) What was Facemash exactly? I only heard of things like some program which Zuckerburg developed which allowed users to rate girls on a scale of 1 - 10 (or something like that, as depicted by the social network movie)
  • You got the right thing - it was called facemash, and it gave people two faces and they chose the one they thought were hotter. Aggregating social info and giving girls people's mugs to judge and giving guys girls mugs to oggle over.
  • @atomicdomb : it was only your title that reminded me of facemash, not you idea (which I think is great). Just mentioned it for a laugh nothing more. Sorry for any confusion caused by my lame-ass post.
  • So I played Kolm, but didn't finish it - I like it alot. It's poignant and polished game, but I'm wondering where the choices are? There's lots of backtracking and level layouts padded for time, but It's quite linear still, I'd say?

What do you mean by choices in that case? Meaningful play/gameplay choice or narrative choice?
  • @Bensonance, Whoops sorry I should have clarified, The backtracking and collecting of items in order to change your character is the part of the gameplay that I want to implement from KOLM and the decision making being Key to the gameplay is the part of the game I want to implement myself.

@FanieG haha ooooohhh! no worries man and thanks :)

The way the choice system works is it will literally change your ending and how you play the game, the very first opening scene has the player move left or right, after moving left or right the player cannot go back to this first area meaning the game branches into two different pathways after the first screen and each pathway has a different set of challenging and eventually more choices and more splitting >.<.

As for the download (my computer is on its way to Cape Town) so I'm hoping to upload by saturday.
  • How are you looking for releasing a demo?