Does anyone know examples of games on rhomb grids, or on edges of hex or tri grids?

Hi everyone,

I am doing some (semi-marketing) research, and was wondering if anyone knows some examples of these types of games. It's difficult to search because the search terms are so generic : - / Any games will do; video or physical, and puzzles as well.
  • Games played rhombille grids (see image below). So far I have Q*bert, some chess variants, and Slitherlinks.
  • Games played on the edges of hexagonal grids. So far hexagonal version of Dots, and hexagonal Slitherlinks. These examples are not ideal, since they also involve the faces. I would be very happy to find an example that involves only edges.
  • Games played on the edges of triangular grids. So far just an imagined version of the game Dots.
Edit: (Also, I am not particularly interested in games where the goal is to match edges. They are not relevant to my investigation.)

rhomb.png
440 x 280 - 29K

Comments

• Aren't all the Panzer General games on hexes?
  • When I see a hex shape and the word game mentioned these are the first that jump to mind:
    http://www.catan.com/
    http://retroepic.com/a-day-in-the-woods/
  • I... don't know if this is what you have in mind, but just in case it is: EDGE.
  • Catherine works a little bit like a reverse Cubert (but with a lot more 3D, and a few adult themes)

• Hmmm tile based hex games in boardgame space: Neuroshima Hex

There are these old Japanese Romans Three Kingdom games... Played on a psudo hex grid

There was someone on here that made a hex game, with rotating bits to make up different shapes... I can't remember what it's called, I think that's REALLY close to what you're looking for...
  • edited
    Vertex Dispenser is played on the edges of a tri grid (that is often shaped like a sphere but can be shaped like any arbitrary mesh). The basic gameplay is capturing the vertexes at each corner of a tri and thereby capturing the tri. Levels involve fighting against an AI that is also capturing tris, and building turrets and firing directly at you. Gathering more territory charges up special abilities faster, so there's a nice slippery slope in the player's favour.

Not sure if it works in multiplayer. It got onto Steam.

• edited
    Hey everyone; thanks for all the examples :)

@Pomb Catan has exactly the kind of edge dynamic I'm looking for; I completely forgot about it.

@Tuism Do you mean my own game (http://makegamessa.com/discussion/399/a-simple-puzzle-game-now-with-exotic-creatures-prototype#Item_27) ? That was the game that got me thinking along these lines, so you are not far off :P ... but that game itself is just a simple hex game - the edge matching is totally automatic and not under player control, so the game is only played on faces. If it's another game, I will definitely want to check it out.

@BlackShipsFillTheSky Thanks for both examples. I will have to investigate Catherine. It's seems a bit irregular, but I was also thinking about irregular grids (and whether it's worth considering them grids at all). Vertex Dispenser looks like a perfect example as well of what I'm looking for, with the added twist that it's not on a plane.

----

Superficially the other examples look like they are all face-based, but I will double check. It's sometimes a bit difficult to get the underlying (abstract) mechanics from descriptions and vids.

• edited
    Not sure why the distinction of face-based vs edge based etc is meaningful to your research, I mean, I just don't know what the thrust of the research itself is (though I'm gathering moving or building along the edges is what you are most interested in).

Here's another thought, though one that possibly doesn't interest you: Rymdkapsel. It's a square grid, but the blocks are arranged as Tetris pieces, which I think is a wonderfully playful constraint. It elegantly adds a familiar spacial puzzle on top of anything you do that affects the grid, and it comes with a nice visual hook (especially if you are appealing to casual indie gamers or retro indie gamers). Rampart did this of course as well, but without the clever visuals.

http://rymdkapsel.com/

• AH! Yes indeed it's the same game, lol so it was yours, that was embarrassing :P

Well I actually can't figure out what you're looking for (like @Blackshipsfillthesky said), soooo...

If you're looking for building-along-the-edge, Catan does exactly that, and I can't really think of anything else at the moment...

Good luck!
  • edited
    Overall I'm interested in implementation aspects various types of grid games, and I want to basically to see what people "typically" and obscurely do with grids. I specifically asked about rhombille grid because it seems to be used very rarely, and I could not find enough examples. (I found many examples of more common grid-types). The edge aspect is not important per se, but edges of hex and tri grids are rhombille grids in disguise (so I would miss examples if I did not ask about that too and people did not know this - I certainly did not until recently). One possibility of implementing a game where you are manipulating edges is to put the edges on the faces of a rhombille grid, like this:

This allows you to use tiles, which can have various advantages (depending on many factors of course).

@BlackShipsFilltheSky Thanks for that example; it's always interesting to see in how many ways people can combine simple elements to make compelling games. (And it definitely interests me in the wider scope!)

edge_grids.png
    501 x 281 - 32K