[Competition] Ludum Dare 26 - 26-29 April 2013

Date: April 26th-29th

With LD26 coming up at the end of this month, I'd like to get a quick idea of who will be participating. Also, if you took part in a previous LD, I'd love to see your entry.

Comments

• edited
    Hey... I'm super bummed but I don't think I'll be able to participate at all this time. Ludum Dare is overlapping the AMAZE festival.

You can see my entries here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/author/evan-greenwood/

Ludum Dare 22 I was by myself in the Compo. That was super fun, a whole bunch of us found an empty office and jammed together (and the resulting game was probably the silliest game I've ever worked on).
    Ludum Dare 23 I worked with @Bevis (Jarred Lunt) and Luke Viljoen, jamming at UCT.
    Ludum Dare 24 was around the same time AMAZE in Johannesburg, so we didn't enter.
    Ludum Dare 25 I worked with Jarred, @Raithza (Ruan Rothmann), @PunkWeasel (Duncan Greenwood), @Merrik (Richard Pieterse) and John Hattendorf https://soundcloud.com/hattendo (who did music).

I'm curious to see any of your past entries too! Hopefully I'll be participating in Ludum Dare 27.
  • Aw, that's too bad. I really enjoyed your entry for #25. Nice to see your other entries.
  • Hoping to enter this one. Hopefully the schedule at the end of the month will oblige.
  • We'll be hosting a Ludum Dare jam site at Wits Digital Arts in Braamfontein if anyone is keen to pull through and jam with us :) .

Ludum Dare 25 was Luctastic and I's first Ludum Dare and we were pretty happy with the result, which you can find [url = http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-25/?action=preview&uid=17953] here.[/url] The community and feedback aspect of Ludum Dare sets it apart from other game jams for me.
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • @Bensonance...is that the games lab? If it is just let me know and I'll be there.
  • Sjweet...be sure to post the details. :)
  • Wonder what the theme will be this time, wish I could join would by my maiden jam :P
  • edited
    I'm pretty keen to participate again.

My two lonely past entries can be found here. The first was for LD22 the second was for LD24. Both weren't amazing but I tried :)

I wouldn't mind trying to host at UCT again if anyone else is keen to join me?
  • woot!, count me in - I had one partial success (LD24: Guidance), and one epic fail with promise (LD25: 6 Sided Evil Constructions)

Found here
  • I'll definitely be there if something happens at UCT, otherwise my room will have to suffice :P
  • I'm keen for my maiden ludum dare. But hopefully life won't give me other things to deal with that weekend...
  • Wait after my uni assignments, and long enough before my exams O_o I think I might actually be able to enter.
  • @creative630: So totally in! I've got game jam guilt after missing the last one you guys hosted, but also just keen to participate again. @Impy might join me, as we work together.

My previous LD stuff is here.
  • sooooooo... this happening somewhere in CT? Is UCT on?
  • @raxter I have sent some emails through, I'm just waiting for a reply. Else I'll start tracking people down in person :P
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • Can I get some info on the Wits venue? Is it open all night? Safe to leave my PC there? Parking? Also, I really, really don't like driving. Can we sleep there? Or can someone let me sleep on their couch? :P

Pretty keen to jam this weekend. :)
  • Hey @Elyaradine, unfortunately the venue won't be open all night and won't support staying over :(. However, there is parking right near the Digital Arts building and it is safe to leave your PC at the venue :).

Ludum Dare technically starts on Saturday morning at 4Am our time. It runs until Monday 4 AM if you're going solo in the competition; and till Tuesday 4 AM if you're jamming in a team (correct me if I am mistaken here). The venue, due to university classes, won't be available on Monday, so jammers will have to work remotely. (Although I suspect, due to paying jobs, this isn't a big issue :) )

We'll open the venue from 9AM till around 12PM on Saturday and Sunday. It will stay open later if necessary, but remember the need for sleep! If you're entering the competition then that time frame should cover your Ludum Dare experience. If anyone is planning on doing the competition, I'd be happy to keep the venue open till you upload at 4AM. :)
  • edited
    At long last I got a reply, so the room I was hoping to use at UCT this weekend is booked out every weekend until the 14th of May... which sucks. Anyway, we could just sneak into The Shuttleworth Lab (TSL) like we did last year. Who's keen?
  • @creative630 - Very keen, count me in! Let me know if I can bring anything or contribute a little cash for a *cough* working kettle ;P
  • edited
    I'll bring that flask thing we used last year, then we don't need kettle. In terms of other things to bring, maybe we should determine that when we see how many people pitch up? Should we start on the Friday or the Saturday morning?
  • I'm be amped to be there, might be busy on Friday evening but definitely from Saturday onwards, also what about the theme announcement (isn't it only like 4AM on Saturday)?
  • Yup, the theme is announced as the Ludum Dare timer hits zero, which is 4AM our time on the Saturday :/

I'm a bit of a stickler for only starting when the LD timer starts, but if you guys do decide to start on Friday I may well come along and just jam for a bit before the theme is announced, unless I have plans I've forgotten about :D

Looking forward to it!
  • I'm keen to finally get involved!
  • edited
    CT people! I have some good news. There is an open hackerspace called codebridge (Facebook page) in Clairmont, perfect for jams and general computer jam funnery. Josh, who runs it has kindly agreed to let us use the space for the weekend. Well, it is an open space for devs of all kinds to use, it has internet, coffee machine, kitchen, some desks and chairs and a nice open layout for us all to collaborate. There is no set price, but if you are going to be there long a contribution of R50 is suggested (to cover coffee and drinks (and is a pretty good pay-in for what we would get). It is chilled, if you only stay an evening you can put in a bit less (or more if you appreciate the space).

I'll be there at 6 on Friday, PM me for my number. I've jammed there before and it's really a great spot.

[Edit: I'll be able to get keys so we have the space as long as I can stay awake :p

also standard human considerations required, clean up after yourself, don't make a mess, be nice to each other etc etc]
  • Hey @raxter, this sounds awesome - is it still on the cards? I might pop by after work, or maybe only on Saturday, but I'll send you a PM now.
  • it is certainly on :p cards are dealt. If anyone else is coming, let me know so I can guide you there (here is a map to the parking lot where the main entrance is)

just want to emphasise money given is to cover things like coffee and drinks (which are available there), doesn't have to be much, just should be fair based on what you use.
  • Sounds awesome! See you later!
  • @Raxter Sounds good (better than TSL), I'll probably join later today to check the place out.
  • Awesome sauce. I'll be there tomorrow morning. Unless I'm missing something fundamental about starting before the theme announcement?
  • @TheFuntastic Nope, we normally just hangout/pre-jam-jam and stuff the night before (I normally re-familiarize myself with Unity).
    Disclaimer: This has often resulted in forcing a game idea into the theme/not giving a crap about the theme at all, ahem*BlackShips*, resulting in an abomination of awesome.
  • I totally forgot Ludum Dare has a theme. The themes really not that important.
    Orechasm came first overall at the last Ludum Dare and we totally ignored the theme.
    Of course a theme can often take you in directions that would have never occurred to you otherwise.
  • edited
    Oh, we might not be there early tomorrow morning, I'm aiming for 11:00, but might be as late as 12:00, just so you don't show up and there is no one there :p

[yeah, I'm already planning on ignoring the theme]
  • Isn't the theme probably going to be Potato?
  • Potato theme is a conspiracy, don't buy into the lies!
  • Yeah, agreed about the theme stuff - I'm actually going to make less of an effort to rigidly stick to the theme this time. It often takes waaay too much of my time, and sometimes even inhibits otherwise cool ideas.

In a perfect world, one could use the theme as a spring of inspiration for ideas, but I shudder at the number of times I've gone "scrap that, doesn't fit the theme".

See you guys tomorrow!
  • Potatoe didn't make it to the final round, coming 50th in the last one.
  • Good morning fellow darers. Just wishing you all luck for your entries.

I'd type more but it's too early and cold for me to brain...
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Could someone from CT let me know once the venue is open? A reply here will be good enough...
  • I think the other guys have gone surfing this morning till about 12. @Raxter will probably be the first there once he is finished.
  • edited
    aaaaand I'm at codebridge :p
  • cool, see you guys in the not too distant future!
  • Good luck to all darers! Sucks I can't join this time, next jam! NEXT JAM! I'll code and everything too!! XD Good minimal luck!
  • edited
    Been up since the theme was announced, modeling characters rigging, and animating. We got a tall order to get our idea out in time, but I'm still feeling good! My first ludum dare experience, and it's going awesomely! Good luck people!