Dodgy Rocks

edited in Projects
Hiii

I thought I'd see what the community has to say about my latest lil weekend project. It's really nothing spectacular, just an endless runner that increases with difficulty as you go.

I've set up an open beta for it so if you'd like to try it out here's the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mayo.dtr

There are still bugs, and I plan on adding some power ups to make it more interesting, and possibly also redoing some of the sprites as I seem to have been a lil inconsistent with the pixel densities.

Alas, here are some screen shots from it for those who need a visual stimulation before trying something out.

All feedback welcome, nasty and otherwise :)

*NB There seem to have been some issues with certain devices having their views cut in half diagonally, if you experience this may I ask that you just leave a comment with your device type and OS version*

Technical info:
Engine: Unity C#
Audio: BFXR
Art: Piskel
Some of the art was done by @flobar :D

Comments

• @AshleySanders Hiya, gave it a spin. Samsung Galaxy S5. It works! I scored over 1000 points and then called it the day. Controls work fine. I found it frustrating that some rocks spawn very late at the bottom of the screen giving no time to avoid. A small glitch I spotted is that the boat seems to disappear beneath the waves on the left side of the screen? I can still see the wake, but the boat image is gone. Nice pixel art man.

I also remember that game you and @flobar did for the SA Game Jam 2017 called 'Earth Prison'. That was very cool too! Did you ever manage to do more work on it?

What are your plans for this little proto?

Ciao, Kmn
  • @konman Thanks a lot for the feedback! I've noted to fix the late spawns of the rocks, and the player off screen issues you mentioned.

Yeah we never ended doing anything with it after that, I'm not a huge fan of GameMaker so I've moved fully over to Unity. @flobar actually did the rocks, and some of the UI sprites for me in this game, that were intended for a different game.

As for plans for this one, I'm thinking of adding 2 power ups that will aid in mixing it up a bit. And perhaps a leader-board.
    Thanked by 1konman
  • *** changelog 12/01/19 ***
    1. Boat movement on Start button pressing bug fix
    2. General spawn bugs fix
    3. Hit boxes tweaked to favour player
    4. Turning speed boost added
    5. Larger diamond that gives +50 added
    6. Difficulty-increased message displayed
    7. Added main menu chiptune - by Kevin MacLeod (Free Licence)
    8. Fixed audio bugs
    9. Re-tuned player movement
  • edited
    *** changelog 16/01/19 ***
    1. Added a high-score saving and leader-board feature
    2. Added network connectivity error popups

• Thinking of adding some different player boat options (just colour variations for now)

• Looks pretty cool dude! Digging the pixel art!

Regarding the leader board. Something you could add is, if I'm not in the top 5 players on the board, add my score at the bottom underneath so I can see how far I am from the top players.

I'm using this in my game and I've found it helps to push users to keep playing.

So for example..
    Pos Name Score
    1. Mayo 21521
    2. Kraken 1811
    3. TonyStark 1262
    4. Ash 1181
    5. Sharne 1121
    23. Me 245 (Which ever is you, indicate in a color or a darker shade rectangle block so you know where you are.)
  • @DavidKnightRedDawn Thanks so much for the feedback man. That's a really good idea, player longevity is important so will definitely look into implementing this
    Thanked by 1DavidKnightRedDawn
  • Cool man! I'll take a screenshot of my leader-board this weekend to better help illustrate for you.
    Thanked by 1AshleySanders
  • *** changelog 19/01/2019 ***
    1. Added a boat selection menu (just the colour variations from above for now)
    2. Moved the Leader-board from the Game Over view to the Start Menu
    3. Fixed a memory leak that was coming up about 2k points into the game

Boat selection:
  • edited
    *** changelog 19/01/2019 *** #2
    1. Added players position on leader-board as @DavidKnightRedDawn suggested :D

Highlights you if you're in top 5, otherwise shows you underneath top 5 in highlight with current position and score
    Thanked by 1DavidKnightRedDawn