[Project] Orbital Dogfight

edited in Projects
ORBITAL DOGFIGHT
Playable Prototype for Oculus Coming Soon

Comments

• Got some great concept music from @Edward_van_der_Merwe ... THANK YOU!

Been testing some over powered energy weapons while listening. Giving me inspiration!

Listen to the first bit of the track while I test some orbital bombardment.

• Starting the Itch Page for the future downloadable playable. Simplest logo theme start
    Thanked by 1konman
  • Something bugs me about sight-based aiming and shooting, it feels unsatisfying. If I use my sight to do lock-ons and get target info or such it might be fine, but actually shooting exactly ahead of where you're looking feels "too easy", just staring at things...

Along the same line, it feels odd not to have a crosshair if you're aiming with gaze?
  • edited
    Love you @Tuism. Thank you as always!

The last video is a little misleading so I want to say, "Good points but I do not entirely agree."
    The head tracked aiming IS immensely satisfying if not, yes, a little easier.

As to the weapons
    'shooting exactly ahead of where you're looking'
    only the laser weapon will get to the target instantly and provide a hit. Other munitions like projectiles, missiles, plasma, and bombs will take time to get to the target.

LOCK ON
    There is now a cross-hair system in development.
    Missiles and a few other smart munitions will use the 'lock on' system like you describe but dumb rounds like bullets and lasers will go where you are looking.

Here is a new short video explaining the intentions of the system while also demonstrating some of the components.

I really want to get an downloadable playable out there but it would only be playable on the Rift at the moment.
  • Well I guess only playtesting will tell. I can't playtest cos I don't have a rift or vive yet :P Soooooo

I'm all in on the Quest, soon. SOON :P
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • I have been playing KSP and ED since beta, so this looks very interesting, however I can't really comment without playing the prototype.

Could you make the mouse control head look, so that people without VR equipment can try the game? I don't see why this needs to be an exclusive VR title...
    Thanked by 2Gazza_N Moga
  • edited
    I'll second critic's request for a non-VR version. If you think you're able to port the control scheme trivially and you don't feel it'll fundamentally affect the gameplay overmuch, it might help us non-VR Luddites to test it out and give our 2 cents. :P
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • edited
    @critic
    Could you make the mouse control head look, so that people without VR equipment can try the game? I don't see why this needs to be an exclusive VR title...
    &

@Gazza_N
    I'll second critic's request for a non-VR version. If you think you're able to port the control scheme trivially and you don't feel it'll fundamentally affect the gameplay overmuch, it might help us non-VR Luddites to test it out and give our 2 cents. :P
    Of course! A default scheme for Keyboard/Mouse is already there but its not up to snuff.

What would be your ideal control scheme for Mouse/Keyboard? I'll get your input before I start.
    Take into consideration a smooth mouse translation is probably better used for Pitch and Roll then it would be for MouseLook operations. If the mouse input is dedicated to MouseLook then flight control must use the keyboard...
    (Basically it is hard to Pitch, Roll and Yaw smoothly using three separate keys)

O yeah.... would you all have mics attached to your PC for voice input commands?

The inputs: (Exluding voice commands / buttons, which will be mapped to number keys or something easy)

Fill In your ideal scheme please =P

Pitch (Positive and Negative Key)
    Yaw (Positive and Negative Key)
    Roll (Positive and Negative Key)
    Throttle (Positive and Negative Key)

Fire 1
    Fire 2
    Fire 3

Head Look Up
    Head Look Down
    Head Look Left
    Head Look Right
    Head Look BASelectStart(just kidding)
  • I would use mouse for head look since it's the most direct conversion from VR and make [RMB] activate ship rotation in the direction of the current focal point. You can also have another key mapped for head look/interactive mode switch [Space] or [LftCtrl], so the player can interact with the virtual cockpit.

[Q+E] are traditionally used for roll on the keyboard.
    [W+S] are well fitted to throttle control.
    [A+S] you can use as weapon switch since [RMB] will be used for rotation.

It's also a good idea to have an optional Yaw-into-Roll functionality.
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • +1 to critic's suggestions. That seems a solid control scheme to me.
    Thanked by 2critic Moga
  • @critic How about Pitch? I think you may have accidentally overlooked this input.

And,

What do you think about the default setup used by Kerbal Space Program and many others...?

[W+S] = Pitch
    [A+D] = Yaw
    [Q+E] = Roll
    [Shift+Ctrl] = Throttle

Using this the mouse inputs would be free for MouseLook.

The game is also setup to allow players simultaneous use of all weapons for which they have ammo. So maybe they could be setup to the mouse as:

[LMB] = Fire 1
    [RMB] = Fire 2
    [MouseWheel] = Fire 3

What do you think? Thanks again @critic! And thank you @Gazza_N!
  • I probably wasn't clear enough, when the player presses the right mouse button the ship rotates and faces the current focal point automatically, then there is no need for Pitch, Yaw, or Roll, having Roll on [Q+E] is for convenience.

KSP is fine, but I don't really like to do manual control, prefer to use flight assist and mechjeb as soon as possible.
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • @critic ahh thank you, I did misunderstand. I am giving it some serious thought and it is bringing up fundamental questions about what I want the game to be. Thank you!!!
    Thanked by 1critic
  • @Tuism getting a little closer to something like the cross hair system you mentioned.

'Lock-On' targeting for missiles.

• Some updates:
    Atmosphere 1.0
    Target Searching and Focusing 1.0
    Target Information Panel 1.0 -(name and distance)
    Ship Health UI 1.1 - Shield, armor and hull now represented.. only hull get percentage at the moment
    Orbital super struct1.0 prototype play

• I've got my hands on a Vive for the holidays. Any chance of a build going up soon?
    Thanked by 1Moga
  • edited
    @Fengol That is great!
    Yes, I would like to have the playable prototype out this weekend.
    Working on the Vive control port now.

• My Mind is ready. My body is ready. My Rift is ready. We are waiting for a playable build :D
    Thanked by 1Moga