South African Game Developers Facebook Group

Hi Guys,we now have 54 members...

There are a couple of really interesting projects that have been posted.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/441467282713665/

Comments

• edited
    Still don't see much need for that group... It's not giving people new information or skills, it's not helping devs get access to opportunities or connections and it's certainly not providing useful feedback to those posting their games there.

All of that happens here, however, and I honestly feel you're doing a disservice to the people that have joined your group by giving them a feeling of having joined something that actually isolates them from the larger community. Here on MGSA you have access to information and skills earned over decades of development (individually) and loads of knowledge gleaned from other sources. Here on MGSA there are successful developers with connections to the international and local game industries that can create opportunities for developers with otherwise no reputation whatsoever - devs have been put in direct contact with Apple, Google payment woes have been sorted out, Steam and KS campaigns polished and pushed, international competitions entered and marketing materials dry run before they hit the public eye... And then there's the feedback and playtesting that helps any game be the best it can be - or that helps devs learn when to perhaps kill one of their darlings to afford living to dev another day.

There's also IESA, an industry body that's actively lobbying government to the benefit of its game developer members right now. IESA is working on funding for trade missions to large international games events, helping local developers get better access to local events and pushing back against the FPB's terrible draft regulation. If you're a professional game developer and not a member of IESA, then you're missing out on a lot of benefits. And not helping other developers all get more as well - think of it like herd immunity and vaccinations... Also, while IESA and MGSA are linked, you don't have to be a member of one to be part of the other. Both are welcoming and open to anyone willing to participate.

I don't see any of that on the FB group you linked, that's why I wouldn't join it. How could you make it better? Is it worth trying to compete, or is there more value to be had by directing people here?
  • edited
    dislekcia said:
    Both are welcoming and open to anyone willing to participate.
    Unfortunately a lot people do not find these forums welcoming and do not feel like they can participate. I have a few good friends and a few colleagues in the Indie Game Industry who avoid Make Games SA like the plague ... their reasons are varied and I am not going to go in to it ... but they all come down to not feeling welcomed or allowed to participate.

Some of them tried and some of them came back a few times but eventually just left due to various factors.

dislekcia said:
    I don't see any of that on the FB group you linked, that's why I wouldn't join it. How could you make it better? Is it worth trying to compete, or is there more value to be had by directing people here?
    Maybe these people are more comfortable on Facebook and would rather post the items on Facebook where their friends can see it and comment.

At this point in time, if things don't change on Make Games SA, you are going to see a lot more of these type of pages spring up and a lot more people going there instead of coming here ... once again the reasons are not important as this would just make the thread derail and is not something I want to discuss in a public thread.

There is something fundamentally flawed with Make Games SA that is driving people away.

community
    kəˈmjuːnɪti
    noun
    the condition of sharing or having certain attitudes and interests in common.
    Unfortunately my experiences of Make Games SA does not tend to lead me to believe that Make Games SA is a community ... actually a few people I have spoken to and some of those who will not post on Make Games SA feel that this has become more of a kingdom run by a few select individuals ... and is definitely not a community.

I fully anticipate this post being deleted and I will probably get a warning ... although I have done nothing to go against the rules of the forums which will probably prove my point by itself ... but this is also my last post here because I honestly can't see anything changing.

Good luck to you all and thanks for all the fish.
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • For me it has always been what I wish to get out of making games.

Am I just making games to get a feeling for what it's like. Much like someone who appreciates fine art taking up an art class to see what it's like working with the medium. I'm not expecting to paint a master piece, but during the process I do catch myself dreaming of standing in my own gallery with hundreds of people admiring my work. It's a nice feeling, and to that end, it's serving it's purpose. My friends and family will often play along with this fantasy, because being completely honest about my art is far less important to them than my happiness.

So I post it on Facebook and Instagram. Safe spaces, viewed mostly by online friends, were I know the delicate fantasy will be sustained. I most certainly won't be posting it on a high end professional art forum, because getting professional feedback and critique for the purposes of improving was never the aim.

However, if I want to make games that are of such high quality that I can sell them, and the income of those sales are sufficient to sustain me so I can continue doing so, then I'm playing a completely different ball game. My opponents are skilled and talented, and my clients care nothing for me, only the quality of the product I produce. It is a profession that has low success rates, and in South Africa it's even worse.

So in order to survive, I need to become better, faster! I post on MGSA where I know I'll find some of the best game developers in South Africa. Their critiques often hurt like hell. I regularly used to stand up and say: "Screw this, I'm out!". But when I eventually got over myself, sat down and calmly read the comments again, I found it was never personal. It was always aimed at improving my game by pointing out the most glaring issues, issues my clients would see as well, issues I don't see because I'm too close.

These people genuinely care about my success as a game developer, and they care about me as a person. I've met a lot them, and they are all stunning people.

But there are so little of us, and when a community is small they have to coordinate their effort in order to make an impact. Fragmenting the community over several forums and websites only dilutes the experience and talent. We have to agree on a place to get together and discuss things, a place where the experience and feedback can be focused and shared.

For me, being part MGSA is a desire to increase the number of quality games that come from South Africa. I will do everything I can to help anyone wanting to improve their game development skills, but I will do it from here, so they'll know where to find me. MGSA is a beacon, and we should all try and make it shine brighter.
  • edited
    @quintond I do think a lot of the arguments on MakeGamesSA have done more harm than good. And I think a lot of the people who have argued have walked away with minds unchanged and the only result was hostility. And for whatever part I've played in these arguments I feel ashamed.

I had a look a that Facebook group.

I think some of the members of that group would find it hostile here. The most prolific, and I think the leader, regularly posts what I would call sexist content.

I wish that MakeGamesSA wasn't seen as as hostile as it is. But I guess my question is: When is hostility justified? (if ever?)

Should MakeGamesSA have a culture? Or should the leadership focus on making everyone feel welcome? (I mean that, what do we want as a forum? Is it somewhere in between?).

From my perspective anyway, if MakeGamesSA does have a culture I would want it to be intolerant of sexism. I feel that it's the case that tolerating sexism alienates others who are sensitive to it. But if these forums are intolerant to sexism then these forums are going to feel hostile to some people.

Are there other attitudes regularly expressed here that are causing people to feel unwelcomed? (I'm actually not sure what people find hostile here enough to leave, is it just some individuals they don't like? Am I a part of this?).

Sorry if this comes across as argumentative. I'm not meaning to say the hostility people find at MakeGamesSA is just about the issue of sexism. I'm also not meaning to equate @quintond with the people who have left these forums because they were criticized for seeming to display sexist attitudes.

I think @Pieter put what I'd really liked to have said best. That I come to MakeGamesSA because I think it is the most powerful social tool for improving game development in South Africa. I've had arguments here and I've felt embarrassed and ostracized. But I'm not here because I want to feel good about myself, I'm here because I am a professional game developer in this country and I want to pursue that dream help those that share that dream.

(And of course I'd like MakeGamesSA to serve that goal even better where it is possible, and including more people in the community can make everyone stronger)
  • I think the main problem is the way people post their messages on the forums. People don't really know the person typing so they assume the worst when their view is not agreed with.

I have watched a presentation of @dislekcia and he does not come across the same way I pictured him at all. His posts often look very aggressive but he means good (From what I can see)

Regarding other communities such as the facebook group I personally think its a good idea because I feel that a lot of other devs aren't as serious as those that post often on MakeGamesSA and by telling them its stupid I am sure they will just avoid it even more to come here.

I don't think makegames is the best place to get help because a lot of guys don't reply to some topics and there is also not a big enough variety in skillsets to resolve every solution.

What I have found makegames very useful for is posting projects, getting feedback and also getting motivation by checking out what others have made. I have not been at any MakeGames event but I am sure that it is what makes this forum alive but I think it is indeed a little bit tricky for those of us that haven't been to any event to truly understand the way that some users on the forum present themselves with their criticism.

I will be hanging around here and I am sure this forum will one day be bigger and better.

One major thing I sometimes wonder is why some of the big devs or hard working devs aren't active on these forums or never even tried. Guys like Sebastian Lague. Would have loved to have him on these forums as he is truly a good teacher when it comes to Unity.
  • quintond said:
    Unfortunately a lot people do not find these forums welcoming and do not feel like they can participate. I have a few good friends and a few colleagues in the Indie Game Industry who avoid Make Games SA like the plague ... their reasons are varied and I am not going to go in to it ... but they all come down to not feeling welcomed or allowed to participate.

Some of them tried and some of them came back a few times but eventually just left due to various factors.
    I'd just like to point out that very few people have been actively banned (and those that have were all banned for spamming or other board-related offenses). I think there's a big difference between someone choosing not to participate and someone being actively forced away.

I think @EvanGreenwood asks some really interesting questions about where lines are drawn and what sorts of behaviors are accepted in a community or not. I'd really like to unpack that discussion, because it's one that's very worth having. At the same time, that doesn't mean that I don't care why people leave either, I think that there are multiple spectra of people feeling discouraged or unwelcome and I'm still learning how and why those feelings come about. My biggest focus right now is on making MGSA more welcoming to people that are traditionally marginalised or discriminated against and, as such, I'm probably not very likely to respond super favorably to complaints from advantaged individuals as much. But that doesn't mean those complaints can't be heard! So I'm sorry for giving that impression.
    quintond said:
    Maybe these people are more comfortable on Facebook and would rather post the items on Facebook where their friends can see it and comment.
    And that's perfectly fine. I was giving my personal reasons why I wouldn't join that FB group, not attacking the people who had :)
    quintond said:
    At this point in time, if things don't change on Make Games SA, you are going to see a lot more of these type of pages spring up and a lot more people going there instead of coming here ... once again the reasons are not important as this would just make the thread derail and is not something I want to discuss in a public thread.

There is something fundamentally flawed with Make Games SA that is driving people away.
    I agree. There are things that are wrong with MGSA that drive people away, probably the biggest one is that MGSA is really bad at communicating its reasons for existing and the assumptions that underlie it - this is why people have the disappointment of realising that this community doesn't align with expectations they had of it. That's why people leave, because MGSA doesn't give them a thing they felt they really needed - that doesn't mean that the things MGSA does offer and actively support are bad/worse, and it also doesn't mean that people's needs that are unfulfilled are bad (unless, as @EvanGreenwood points out, those needs are about being horrible to other people), just that MGSA isn't a good place for absolutely everything. Which it could never be.

I do find it interesting that this thing of other communities/places to discuss things springing up is a common thread. It's been happening for over a decade now. And yet, where are the other communities? Why didn't they stick around? What happened to them and why did they stop? What makes MGSA different? (I have some thoughts on this, thoughts that could fill a decade's worth of introspection, but I'm curious about the answers to these questions that others might see)

If you'd like to discuss those things in private, PM is always an option.
    quintond said:
    Unfortunately my experiences of Make Games SA does not tend to lead me to believe that Make Games SA is a community ... actually a few people I have spoken to and some of those who will not post on Make Games SA feel that this has become more of a kingdom run by a few select individuals ... and is definitely not a community.
    Well... It is a community, by the very definition you provided :) It might not include everyone, but it's trying to be helpful to as many people as possible. That's certainly what I've been trying to do for over a decade now - build a place like that. Unfortunately you can't build solid things online, this isn't a physical structure, it's a nebulous gas of people sharing things they're working on and trying to improve. That's complicated, people will always change and goals will never quite align, so it needs constant effort to maintain a community culture and identity in the online space. It also means that this sort of discussion need to be had regularly (and maybe larger things have changed that need responding to as well! This is all useful!)

I think the kingdom accusation is fair. I mean, yeah, guilty as charged I guess. Interestingly, I feel that MGSA as a community was damaged by trying to mitigate that "kingdom" feeling and putting more people in charge: It meant that the vision was never clear and decisive action couldn't be taken, I believe that we're seeing the fallout of that approach to both forum arguments and to larger MGSA activities off the forums. I mean, the hatred of "leadership" positions and the lack of understanding of just how little power comes from them is a constant thing in online communities. It doesn't matter if it's a knitting newsgroup, neighborhood FB page or joke forum: There will always be people who dislike the people seen to be leaders; There will always be people who believe they could do a better job; And there will always be criticisms that extend beyond the functions and responsibilities of "power" and attack the person instead. That sort of polarisation is a given on the internet...

I will say that 10+ years is a hell of a long time in internet years (yes, I trace Game.Dev and MGSA together) that means that there's definitely something here. There's something positive and useful and, given the nature of the internet, that's often found in the most contentious and polarising elements of a culture. MGSA has had a huge positive impact on the local game development scene - that means that parts of it appear to be working. I'm always open to discussing where it might not be working and how it could be working BETTER, that's a given. But there's success that's been had and things that exist now that wouldn't without the "kingdom" of the MGSA, even if all that happened is MGSA acted as a nucleus for ideas and people.

Yes, a new FB group could well be a great place too. But, as I said, those were my reasons for not joining it :) ... And no, I'm not hostile to new groups forming, I just ask what they're supposed to achieve - I think IESA is a great idea. I think a really supportive and emotionally open FB group focused on simply acknowledging potential game developers and their efforts might work out (I know it would be incredibly hard to keep that way though) and if that's a need in the local game development space, all the power to the people who want to fill it! But that's not the thing that's made MGSA survive and succeed the way it has - you could easily accuse me of a certain distrust of emotional belonging.
    quintond said:
    I fully anticipate this post being deleted and I will probably get a warning ... although I have done nothing to go against the rules of the forums which will probably prove my point by itself ... but this is also my last post here because I honestly can't see anything changing.
    Well, does being wrong about the warning/deletion mean you might not be leaving? ;)
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Zaphire said:
    Regarding other communities such as the facebook group I personally think its a good idea because I feel that a lot of other devs aren't as serious as those that post often on MakeGamesSA and by telling them its stupid I am sure they will just avoid it even more to come here.
    Yup. That's why I didn't say it was stupid, only that I *personally* didn't see the need for it and wouldn't be joining :)
    Zaphire said:
    I don't think makegames is the best place to get help because a lot of guys don't reply to some topics and there is also not a big enough variety in skillsets to resolve every solution.
    That's interesting. What sort of skillsets do you feel are lacking? What could MGSA help with more/better?
    Zaphire said:
    What I have found makegames very useful for is posting projects, getting feedback and also getting motivation by checking out what others have made. I have not been at any MakeGames event but I am sure that it is what makes this forum alive but I think it is indeed a little bit tricky for those of us that haven't been to any event to truly understand the way that some users on the forum present themselves with their criticism.
    Yay! That's very much what this place is about. Good/useful/helpful criticism and feedback is terribly rare (I wish I could explain what it was like trying to make games before this place existed) and giving it well is a constant struggle. I'm very glad that MGSA is seen as a place where that happens at least some of the time :)
    Zaphire said:
    I will be hanging around here and I am sure this forum will one day be bigger and better.

One major thing I sometimes wonder is why some of the big devs or hard working devs aren't active on these forums or never even tried. Guys like Sebastian Lague. Would have loved to have him on these forums as he is truly a good teacher when it comes to Unity.
    I'm not sure that Game.Dev/MGSA has been bigger than this in the past. It certainly hasn't had this many successful/professional members making/selling their own games before!

And yes, I'd love see what Sebastian could add. I've used his tutorials quite a bit over the last few months :)
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • I also want to reiterate what @Pieter and @EvanGreenwood have been saying, as I feel it's very true and a fundamental part of talking about online communities and what they offer:
    pieter said:
    Am I just making games to get a feeling for what it's like. Much like someone who appreciates fine art taking up an art class to see what it's like working with the medium. I'm not expecting to paint a master piece, but during the process I do catch myself dreaming of standing in my own gallery with hundreds of people admiring my work. It's a nice feeling, and to that end, it's serving it's purpose. My friends and family will often play along with this fantasy, because being completely honest about my art is far less important to them than my happiness.
    If anything, wanting to fight against this tendency is what made me start Game.Dev and drive it the way I did.
    pieter said:
    So in order to survive, I need to become better, faster! I post on MGSA where I know I'll find some of the best game developers in South Africa. Their critiques often hurt like hell. I regularly used to stand up and say: "Screw this, I'm out!". But when I eventually got over myself, sat down and calmly read the comments again, I found it was never personal. It was always aimed at improving my game by pointing out the most glaring issues, issues my clients would see as well, issues I don't see because I'm too close.
    So much this. At it's core, MGSA is about a basically uncomfortable and painful thing. That's why I feel expecting it to be positive for everyone is a little bit disingenuous. Yes, it can be nicer for people, it doesn't have to be actively hostile. But asking the sorts of questions that MIGHT help achieve the sort of progression and personal growth as a creative mentioned above is an abrasive thing. It's hard to listen to. I wish it were easier and I'm aware that I'm not very good at it.
    pieter said:
    But there are so little of us, and when a community is small they have to coordinate their effort in order to make an impact. Fragmenting the community over several forums and websites only dilutes the experience and talent. We have to agree on a place to get together and discuss things, a place where the experience and feedback can be focused and shared.
    I've tried to explain why I seem to care so much about fragmentation, I feel this hits the nail on the head. Outside of all the potential placebos that are available to creatives on the internet (yes, writing your own blog feels good, like you're achieving something, but it's always going to be an echo chamber and rarely challenge your core assumptions productively) it's also about network effects. Like vaccination is an individual action that benefits an entire society, having something like MGSA and people like @Lexaquillia to advocate for us all is a benefit to the whole.
    I wish that MakeGamesSA wasn't seen as as hostile as it is. But I guess my question is: When is hostility justified? (if ever?)

Should MakeGamesSA have a culture? Or should the leadership focus on making everyone feel welcome? (I mean that, what do we want as a forum? Is it somewhere in between?).

From my perspective anyway, if MakeGamesSA does have a culture I would want it to be intolerant of sexism. I feel that it's the case that tolerating sexism alienates others who are sensitive to it. But if these forums are intolerant to sexism then these forums are going to feel hostile to some people.

Are there other attitudes regularly expressed here that are causing people to feel unwelcomed? (I'm actually not sure what people find hostile here enough to leave, is it just some individuals they don't like? Am I a part of this?).
    These are super important questions. Should we move discussing them into another thread maybe?

Thanked by 2pieter EvanGreenwood
  • Julian said:
    Well, the people that have joined my group seem happy... I don't think that I am harming anyone. So join, don't join, it does not bother me. We are just a group of devs having fun...
    Interesting question. How do you know if your group is harming anyone or not?

What kinds of harm can a group do?
  • I think the kingdom accusation is fair. I mean, yeah, guilty as charged I guess. Interestingly, I feel that MGSA as a community was damaged by trying to mitigate that "kingdom" feeling and putting more people in charge: It meant that the vision was never clear and decisive action couldn't be taken,
    I disagree. I don't think that mitigating the kingdom problem caused problems. I think it was attempting to add a democracy without fully revoking the monarchy.
  • dislekcia said:
    Julian said:
    Well, the people that have joined my group seem happy... I don't think that I am harming anyone. So join, don't join, it does not bother me. We are just a group of devs having fun...
    Interesting question. How do you know if your group is harming anyone or not?

What kinds of harm can a group do?
    Why are you so angry, I mean seriously what harm could I possibly do with a small group of devs that want a more personal experience?

• In any event, my admins and I are making a website to support out group, it has a forum, but it is far more then that. I will be linking makegamessa.com because I am not trying to go into competition... This is purely for fun... Most of us already have full time jobs and this group is just an addition to the SA community... In any event, I am looking to partner up with any of the other Facebook groups because I have an idea for integration using the website... So if anyone knows of other twitter facebook meetup dot com etc groups, please let me know so I can compile my resources :) Thanks guys! I appreciate the critique, but, seriously, this thread is getting rather paranoid ... Fundamentally
  • @quintond I do think a lot of the arguments on MakeGamesSA have done more harm than good. And I think a lot of the people who have argued have walked away with minds unchanged and the only result was hostility. And for whatever part I've played in these arguments I feel ashamed.

I had a look a that Facebook group.

I think some of the members of that group would find it hostile here. The most prolific, and I think the leader, regularly posts what I would call sexist content.

Sorry if this comes across as argumentative. I'm not meaning to say the hostility people find at MakeGamesSA is just about the issue of sexism. I'm also not meaning to equate @quintond with the people who have left these forums because they were criticized for seeming to display sexist attitudes.

I think @Pieter put what I'd really liked to have said best. That I come to MakeGamesSA because I think it is the most powerful social tool for improving game development in South Africa. I've had arguments here and I've felt embarrassed and ostracized. But I'm not here because I want to feel good about myself, I'm here because I am a professional game developer in this country and I want to pursue that dream help those that share that dream.

(And of course I'd like MakeGamesSA to serve that goal even better where it is possible, and including more people in the community can make everyone stronger)
    Sexist? Are you talking about that adult rated games that are being posted in that Group? It is a group, I did not post any of that content. But at the same time, I am still not quite sure how freedom of expression is sexist. Why does someone always have to bring, sex or race or religion or politics into everything.

I have black guys, women, old guys, young 18 year olds, moslems, christians etc...nobody seems to be angry, hostile etc etc... In fact, it is one of 3 rules in my group...Putting another developer or company down is not tolerated and will result in a banning...People like that...
  • Julian said:
    Why are you so angry, I mean seriously what harm could I possibly do with a small group of devs that want a more personal experience?
    How is asking a simple question being angry? For the record, no, I'm not angry. You can continue to think that I am or that you're being bashed if you like, but that's your call. All that's happened is you've been asked a couple of questions.

As for your answer, there are many ways an online group of people could cause harm, I asked you what you think those might be to see if you're thinking about that sort of stuff. If you'd like to talk about the sorts of harm a group can cause, from someone with 11 years of experience of being wrong about online groups and slowly learning, ping me via PM or FB :)
  • edited
    I was going to weigh in here, but this same conversation (forums are hostile/no they are not) comes up every month so I'll wait for the next one.

@Julian, your group sounds cool, I'll join it. If it sucks I will leave it.
  • Ok so the website is up...just launched http://southafricangamedevelopers.com sign up boys and girls, it does have a forum, but it also has quite a few other things.
  • Ok we are also making our official social media channels, those of game development companies or individuals... We need pintrest, youtube, vimeo and a few others...Please register with our our group and contact me on the website... First come first serve... Facebook and twitter is already taken
  • I honestly wish that you'd choose to dedicate this energy to helping to improve and grow an existing organisation rather than trying to compete.
  • I find this very interesting. We all seek to achieve unity yet there are two views about how that unity looks like. At the very best this group will help makegamessa identify where it can improve far better than it would be able to on its own. At the worst it splits the ability for game developers in SA to unite and support one another. Which could be a real risk in opportunity for everyone involved, as pointed out. I also sometimes wish people would realise that text does not come with emotion nor intention unless clearly stated. Its an extremely interpritive form of communication and I believe that is why online arguments tend to be the near impossible ones to actually bring about positive results. Since people always apply their imagined tone to the speaker. Yet because of the lack of anything better we somehow hope that it will work anyway.
    This message could be seen as angry it could even be seen as directed at Julian. However neither of those are the case. If misunderstanding creates the gaps imagine just how easy it is to create gaps with text.

Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • I've been in two minds whether to post in this thread or not, but I must say that I think it is in poor taste to try to recruit members for a group here. Since this is such a perceived "hostile" place after all. If you want to start something fresh/new/different...cool...but at least be prepared to do some leg work yourself. I had a look at your page, and some of the content posted has already put me off it completely. I guess some mistakes can only be learned the hard way. I would much rather prefer to be part of a community that is inclusive to all, with clear goals, morals and honest support. I do wish you all the luck in the world with your endevour, but I think you are already off to a rocky start. This is all just my opinion based on what I saw. Maybe you know of a way to manage the internet that I don't know of or have years of experience in running groups online. Like my mom always tells me: " Hope you make good choices (the kind that are not always the easy ones to make)."
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Why makegamesa is recruiting members in my group
  • In fact several makegamesa.com organizers have joined my group and often post articles in my group...I think that I have the thumbs up
  • edited
    Why is my group good enough for the leaders of makegamessa.com and not it's members? Maybe you should ask them, because your leaders have spent hours in my group? And that is the difference... My group has leaders, but primarily we are unregulated and transparent... We are not trying to go to government and we do not have a set of rules that are pages and pages long...In fact we only have 3 rules:

1. No insulting Game Developers or Gaming Organisations
    2. No sexist, political or Racial Slander of a non satirical game development nature
    3. Keep topics SA game development related

My members love the freedom
  • From what I've seen those active leaders have been nothing but civil, and contributed greatly. They also haven't taken issue with you recruiting or posting about your group here, despite your being upset about them posting helpful links that happen to be hosted on MGSA.

It was previously stated by members of your group that you see the two communities co-existing, so any cross-pollination of links should be fine.

To be clear, MGSA is not "trying to go to government". IESA, which is a separate organization to allow MGSA to focus on what it does best (community building), is working towards goals that benefit all game developers in the country, funded by those that have been successful enough to contribute.
  • edited
    Make Games SA stuck the first stone
  • @julian I don't think you, or MGSA, should see this as competition, but rather as an additional collective. I don't see why there's this "here or there" thing going on. Yes, I joined your group as well, because, well, I'm on Facebook a lot and it was convenient. That's not an indication that I'm not wanting to be a part of MGSA, it's just an indication that I like seeing what other people are doing and occasionally posting my own stuff -- while on Facebook.

Just like me not going to MGSA meetings isn't an indication that I don't WANT to -- I've been bad about actually meeting up at any meetings - can't seem to pull myself away from my PC ...

Although I have my issues with some parts of MGSA, I actually also have issues with some parts of your group. That does NOT mean anything at all - it's human nature, everyone's different and has different tastes - there's no possible way for there to be a group that's "one shoe fits all" it's just impossible - you can't please everyone. Something, about everything, will always annoy someone - and sometimes there's be transient annoyance by pretty much everyone at something, in any group - that's just the nature of people.

Honestly I think all collectives just strengthen the whole and each will find it's own niche probably for the benefit of both since there are now multiple entry points of locating game developers in South Africa.

That said ... this: "Why makegamesa is recruiting members in my group" is just rude, that's exactly what you've done here.
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • MGSA are the only members that have not followed my 3 rules. The only ones! By encouraging arguments and controversy disguised as helpful responses. They cast the first stone but now when they post, they are following the rules... So I am happy to have them stay. There have not been any more defaults from them, so I am happy to have them contribute. Who made this out to be a competition? Games SA members...Only... The whole point of this group was to encourage start ups, to provide all members to promote themselves in any way that they can. Unregulated.
  • From the very first response on THIS THREAD, GAMES SA members have been uncomfortable that I exist... Have a look above, look at the very first thread... i began tanking the negativity from the very first response and now you are trying to say that I am the hostile one? That does not make sense?
  • Julian said:
    There need be no stones at all. Why can't we all just.. get along? :)

Thanked by 1DaveRussellSA
  • edited
    Exactly, There is no need. I am happy to have games SA as part of my group... I don't want some kind of war..It is contradictory to what I am trying to achieve. I want to promote the community, not counteract it
  • Everyone needs to obey my rules on my group :) Please guys :)
    Meh.png
    425 x 488 - 40K
  • edited
    @Julian
    "MGSA are the only members that have not followed my 3 rules"

I have been in your group. Please explain to me how I have broken any of your 3 rules because I happen to be a MGSA member. (As in actively posts on the forums here)

EDIT: I would have expected a lot more maturity from the "leader" of a page that represents South African Game Developers. Maturity would mean that you would hold the interest of everyone involved that could have potentially been part of your group, already is part of the group and even those that aren't.

I was keen to maybe check it out and see where it goes but you have put me off with the lack of professionalism. The best route you could have taken was to ignore the critics and continue what you believe but you choose to make a hostile environment for the 2 different groups.
  • @Julian: how does that post you quote go against any of your rules? if you're saying no political content of any form is allowed (which is NOT what your rules quoted above state), then shouldn't the original post on that thread be the thing in contravention of your rules? If anything, the reply is helpful in shutting down the conversation and moving it elsewhere...
  • edited
    *Admin Voice*

@Julian has received a warning for their conduct in this thread.
    Julian said:
    Why makegamesa is recruiting members in my group
    No recruitment occurred. MGSA content is freely available to anyone, as is attending any MGSA meetup, there are no stipulations on membership at all.
    Julian said:
    No stones were cast, and no attacks were made. Implying otherwise is divisive and fostering argument, which is not acceptable on this forum.
    Julian said:
    From the very first response on THIS THREAD, GAMES SA members have been uncomfortable that I exist... Have a look above, look at the very first thread...
    Nobody has said anything against you existing, as an individual. You are free to exist. If anyone assaults your right to exist as an individual, they would be in contravention of more than just the MGSA rules, but the MGSA would definitely frown upon that.
    Julian said:
    i began tanking the negativity from the very first response and now you are trying to say that I am the hostile one? That does not make sense?
    Issues were pointed out. In an attempt to help resolve those issues, links to existing knowledge and skills were imparted, information about the current state of local development and the various bodies that exist locally was provided. That's not negativity, that's trying to help.
    Julian said:
    Everyone needs to obey my rules on my group :) Please guys :)
    Posting rules for somewhere else and exhorting people to follow them here has no place. Please refrain from doing so. Imagine what your response would be if someone insisted that MGSA's rules be followed elsewhere?
  • edited
    *Continued Admin Voice*

Okay, this thread is getting dangerously close to unpleasantness.

Gird yourselves and be nice, people, or this gets closed.
  • Julian said:
    Everyone needs to obey my rules on my group :) Please guys :)
    This was in answer to someone specifically talking about the lack of support they perceive from (among others) the SA government. It was a completely relevant answer about what is being done to improve that support. I'm sure admins on MGSA have no issue at all with you posting links to articles on your site relevant to discussions happening on this site.

• You are more then welcome to delete this thread, members of your community have been blocked from my group because they have not listened to the rules...This warning message is nothing but a backlash from your members.
  • Julian said:
    You are more then welcome to delete this thread, members of your community have been blocked from my group because they have not listened to the rules...This warning message is nothing but a backlash from your members.
    Just for reference, I don't think this means that all MGSA members are summarily banned from this particular FB group (although I could easily be wrong). I have been personally, transparently, banned with no explanation. Immediately before being banned I posted the following comment asking the following question in response to the news that this unregulated FB group is no longer permitting the mentioning/linking of IESA:

The comment has also been deleted, as has the poll, which simply asked "Should development oriented political discussions be allowed in this group?"

So, I believe that being affiliated with MGSA is a bad thing for you if you join the transparent and unregulated group, just don't mention IESA ;)
    erf.png
    602 x 642 - 62K
  • My comments were also deleted (sigh)
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • My comments have also been deleted and I have been removed. So much for transparent and unregulated as I just stated my feelings about the group
  • Hello everybody.
    There is a lot of tension in the room.
    I get that.
    There is a social overlap happening here and boundaries are being determined as part of a teething process. Naturally this thread exists at the behest of the administrators. I hope that the reason it remains is due to the benefit of doubt, that there is something of value to be found here.

Please keep in mind that this community is young, but the intentions are noble.
    One of the goals for SA game devs, is to remain (lawfully) unregulated. The noble intention is to allow members to express ideas and designs freely without restrictions and without denigration from other users.
    As a result there is currently an elevated sensitivity towards anything that might appear political.

For now, I request that users charitably consider politics (or lack thereof) as a sensitive topic when they interact on SA game devs. This might not be an indefinite request as I believe the conditions for conduct will eventually become clearer with time. (I'm sure that we can all remember the lengthy arduous process of establishing a concrete set of new forum rules.)

I've also noticed (quite happily) a few MGSA members on the SA game devs side. I can assure these individuals, and all of you, that being affiliated with MGSA is not a bad thing. Not at all. I hope that the overlapping trend will prosper in both directions; To see members from both circles join both groups.

I intend to remain a member of MGSA because I have made a lot of friends here and I enjoy the benefits offered by amazing people. But I also intend to be a part of SA game devs because it promises other benefits that I'm looking forward to seeing in the future. I want users to choose not just one side but both; To make the circle bigger, but if you don't want to then that's also okay :)
  • @clive @Zaphire That's unfortunate. I can't seem to trace what you've said. Would you mind posting your thoughts/comments here? I'd love to hear you out, and perhaps follow up on why the comments were removed.
  • edited
    Pierre said:
    Please keep in mind that this community is young, but the intentions are noble.
    One of the goals for SA game devs, is to remain (lawfully) unregulated. The noble intention is to allow members to express ideas and designs freely without restrictions and without denigration from other users.
    As a result there is currently an elevated sensitivity towards anything that might appear political.
    There appears to be one set of regulations for some people, and another for everyone else. That's not really the definition of "unregulated". Nor has anything been transparent so far, no reasons have been given for anything. The group has a lot to fix.
    Pierre said:
    For now, I request that users charitably consider politics (or lack thereof) as a sensitive topic when they interact on SA game devs. This might not be an indefinite request as I believe the conditions for conduct will eventually become clearer with time.
    You're going to have to supply a definition for "politics". It has so far meant three different things over the course of attempted discussion, from interacting with government, to "mentioning anything to do with MGSA/IESA", to some sort of catch-all term for anything that might offend your transparent leaders.
    Pierre said:
    I intend to remain a member of MGSA because I have made a lot of friends here and I enjoy the benefits offered by amazing people. But I also intend to be a part of SA game devs because it promises other benefits that I'm looking forward to seeing in the future. I want users to choose not just one side but both; To make the circle bigger, but if you don't want to then that's also okay :)
    Nobody has been ejected from MGSA over this, nor is anyone in danger of that happening. This thread is now becoming about discussing the rules and inconsistencies of another community and that's not useful. Not only will it further whatever misunderstanding is causing such poor behavior, but it's unlikely to improve the situation.

When "South African Game Developers" decides that it can actually communicate with what's happening in the South African game development industry, we'll see about re-opening this thread.

• I'm sorry @Pierre I really don't understand. I'm not sure how any of the work *I* do, and I want to stress this, that it is only me doing the work for IESA threatens "members to express ideas and designs freely without restrictions and without denigration from other users."

How does making it easier to make games in South Africa do this? How does putting processes in place to enable more people to make games do this?

What I find particularly odd is that IESA was never even linked to and the only people banned aren't employed or affiliated to IESA. In fact what surprises me most, given what I do, is that I am not banned.
This discussion has been closed.