CoolDriver UnrealEngine4

Hi, just a new project I started since Unreal added their SpeedTree support. This will hopefully develop from a test level to a game at some point. Still obviously has a ways to go, as there aren't may roads, nor any buildings yet, but there's that saying... rome ...built and days... many many many days....

https://alwyndippenaar.com/wordpress/?page_id=2068

Youtube videos here as well.

Comments

• I Watched the video it looks amazing and full of possibilities. When the roads come in play it will become interesting. Whats your Main Goal for this?
  • edited
    Tommy said:
    I Watched the video it looks amazing and full of possibilities. When the roads come in play it will become interesting. Whats your Main Goal for this?

Thank you Tommy, I really want to finish what I started a few months ago, and really just focus on making a PC game only, no mobile for this game, use this particular level as a base to build on, and make a game where you have AI drivers, road signs, road markings *on and off road, Ideally I would want the main game to be open world, and be much much larger, and have reusable components to build from shanty to more modern looking towns, dirt and tarred roads to drive on, maybe even some towers and bridges for driving above the landscape as well, maybe as DLC, not sure yet.. .first, on to some substance tutorials, then going to make a shanty town, and stuff a few roads in between and see what happens.
  • The landscape looks really good.

Any plans to make the scenery(rocks, foilage) more interactive with the vehicle?
    Is the landscape generated on the fly, or was it pre-built?
    (I imagine that pre-building the scene will make an open world game a tremendous task?)

• Pierre said:
    The landscape looks really good.

Any plans to make the scenery(rocks, foilage) more interactive with the vehicle?
    Is the landscape generated on the fly, or was it pre-built?
    (I imagine that pre-building the scene will make an open world game a tremendous task?)

Thank you Pierre, I am definitely going to investigate collision response on foliage and there will be some debris and kickup from the car, as it drives for dirt roads, but the landscape is most definitely pre-built, and will be used to establish and prove the workflow, and then I can apply those same techniques on a much larger world, I am also going to investigate world machine, as it also integrates or exports nicely to UnrealEngine4. But, yes it takes a long time, but there are very good landscape tools, that I use with my Wacom Tablet to deform and paint, the landscape, mountains are always tricky, and mine could use some less smoothing and more ruggedness, but for now the huge mountain and rock meshes mostly cover that up.