[Ludum Dare] Neon Highway

Neon Highway is a six-way connected runner made for Ludum Dare 30. Control six different lanes at the same time, as you strive to achieve a state of bliss, or something like that.

There are 6 different lanes and you control them all at the same time. Fortunately, there are powerups that can lock a lane. If you lock all the lanes you win!

Play here: http://clockworkacorn.com/games/neon-highway/#play
Ludum Dare Entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=23363

Thanked by 1Tuism

Comments

• Well done! I love the premise, that it's so simple and so damn hard! I did eventually win the game, 117 seconds I believe it was.

The music is cool, the graphics serve very well.

The only thing I didn't understand was what collecting the blocks did?
  • @Tuism: Well done on winning, and thanks for trying it :)

The filled-in block powerup (that looks like a rotating player) opens a lane (if possible). The open block powerup locks a lane and opens a new one.
  • @francoisvn - I really loved this! Just rated it, throwing out heaps of stars and these glowing comments:

Lovely entry. Fantastic balance, it's easy to keep one or two lanes going, but so tough to unlock all 6. Great, simple but fun ideas on how the pick-ups work.

Very elegant interpretation of the theme, brilliantly executed.

You should take this idea further! Could be some really exciting possibilities if you started pushing the concept further. If you teamed up with a composer on the music, I could really see something like this being a big hit.

Great job!
  • @BenJets: Thank you for the very kind feedback. After the judging I have a few ideas to look at, and getting someone who can actually do music is high on the list. I also really want to port it to Android, which shouldn't take long.
  • This is awesome! I really enjoy this kind of difficulty in a game and reminds me of one of my favourite mobile games 'Mega Dead Pixel'. Managed to win on this, which I was pretty proud of! :D
    Nice work all round and agree with Ben on pushing it further...
  • The difficulty is deceptive actually, as long as you can clear these two conditions you can win:
    1. Keep one of the lanes alive
    2. Hit another lock lane powerup on that lane.

It's defintely not as hard as, say, Super Hexagon, though it *looks* it. I wonder if that's a good thing or bad. At the end of the day this is high (low) score game, so being able to complete it at all isn't the worst thing.
  • @MattMac: Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll have to check out Mega Dead Pixel.

In fact, the order that you lock the lanes also matters, so you can make it even easier by figuring that out. Some of the lanes go faster, and all of the lanes go faster as you lock more lanes. So, if you lock the harder lanes first, then you can smooth out the difficulty curve a bit.

At some point I want to try add some obstacles to the locked lanes, but the idea would be that all the locked lanes have the same obstacles, and making a mistake would only unlock a single lane.

For the purposes of Ludum Dare and judging, I made it a bit easier, but going forward I think higher level of difficulty might be good.