GTA Creator Is Building Liberty City In Game Maker

edited in General
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/16/gta-creator-is-building-liberty-city-in-game-maker/

"Michael Dailly created Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings in his time at DMA Design, and is now Head of Development at YoYo Games, the company responsible for entry-level game creation tool Game Maker. To help illustrate the power of Game Maker: Studio, the modern version of that tool, he’s doing something cool. As reported by USGamer, he’s re-building the world of Grand Theft Auto 1 in it, in 3D."

I thought this might be interesting to follow

Comments

• Oh daayyyyyum :P

So you *can* make 3D stuff, though it still looks mad daunting, tbh. What would be interesting if someone took a parallel project and built it in Unity too and examined the differences.

Though of course this guy wouldn't do it, he's a Yoyo employee now.
  • edited
    If I had time + ability I would try make it in unity, ahhhh to dream :P
  • edited
    @Tuism: I've made many a 3D thingum in GM, but it's incredibly finicky (no animation system, no support for offscreen surfaces in 3D mode, no native model import functions, vertex lighting only with no direct access to surfaces to do realtime lightmapping, no native visibility culling for objects, slow drawing, no 3D maths or matrix functions to make life easier, no native polygon collision detection system, etc, etc, etc.), and the results generally aren't worth the effort. :(

Kudos to this guy though. I hope he's either built or found decent enough tools to make this project less of a chore.