E: Critical Space (Name change)

Aloha everyone, this here is my little creation for this months comp.

An in space deg'em game. You are a spacecraft on an frantic race against time (5min actually) to an beacon of hope (aka space station) through a field of debris (because there was no alternative route). To your disposal you have you skills, a heavy (if not slightly sluggish) ship and a few abilities (currently a shield) to finish your journey of unknown reasons.

This very much in alpha.

Controls
Arrows to move
Esc to pause
Spacebar to activate abilities

Latest build v1.7:
Web:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.7%20(Comp%20Release)/CS.html

Comments

• edited
    @SquigyXD - follow this thread from yesterday:

http://www.makegamessa.com/discussion/1288/drop-box-unity-web-builds-and-this-forum#Item_4

I had the same problem, where you first needed to download the dropbox files before you could play it. Follow the tutorial posted and check that you have activated the Public folder in dropbox. Mine didn't have it. Then if you share the HTML file, others will not have to download anything.

Go here to set up the public folder in dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/enable_public_folder
  • Hmm...I did try "https://www.dropbox.com/enable_public_folder"...it gives me an error (error 500, tried google'ing it...nothing concrete)

I do have a folder called public...but that is about as public as I can make it...meh
  • Well then dump the build folder in that public folder. Then inside that folder, right click on your game's HTML file and choose Copy public link. Then paste that here. Should work. (did you create the folder called public or was it created with your dropbox?)
  • edited
    I had to create one (apparently accounts after 2012 has no Copy public link capability)

edit, HAZAAA!!! Fixed. I had a custom public folder...had to delete it before trying to make an official public folder...so tadaa
  • @SquigyXD - so right of the bat - those particle effects are awesome (jets and vents both look great). Controls are smooth. Like how you got the craft to feel heavy. Don't know if that was intentional, but I would not change it. The only crit I can give is that the ship should not be able to leave the screen (else you can just hover off-screen for 300 seconds). Maybe you can consider doing a pac-mac mechanic where if you leave the top of the screen you pop out at the bottom and the same for left and right. That would give the player more choices in movement. Also the reset button did not seem to work. Had to quit and restart the web player to try again. And I tried a couple of times. Solid entry.
  • @SquigyXD - Also, how would you feel about sharing your HUD script. How did you get the clock to display as minutes:seconds?
  • @FanieG:
    They heavy feeling was kinda planned but happened a bit better than anticipated. The screen wrapping thing...i'm actually currently struggling with it.

timer: http://pastebin.com/zjanQQZv
  • @SquigyXd - Thanks so much for sharing that code.
  • Np man, that is what this community is for ;)
  • Alright, wrapping up tonight with an update

done:
    -new player model with partially working lights
    -new debris (textured)
    -power up (shield) [note: it is that glowing disk that comes from the center of the screen every now and then {you don't start with one}]

todo:
    -SO MUCH

Suggestions and thought welcomed

updated version up top
  • edited
    New update:

Done:
    Some refinements on the ship and shield ability
    Sound added
    Added solid bounds to outer regions (so that you don't fly out of screen)
    Juice added

Todo:
    MOAR JUICE
    More debris
    better station movement
    more abilities
    An actual HUD
    And much much more ^^

latest build (Also up top):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.2/CSFT.html

edit: Slight problem astroids not spawning gimi a sec
    edit: fixxed
  • edited
    @SquigyXD - The lighting is really done well. Loved how the lights on the destination ship dimmed when they were in front of your ships headlights. It is also cool how the debris becomes more visible as they get caught in the light beams. Especially in the 1st minute. from minute 2 they are too visible from the start. Think you should consider haveing the debris always spawn from the initial place. so even if the destination ship/station moves forward the debris still actually comes from behind it. The difficulty also ramps up super fast. Some balancing could be needed, that being said you also don't want to make it too easy. Players can always restart....and that is my biggest issue. How do you restart if you have died. I tried "R" but nothing.

Nevermind, seems to be working now all of a sudden...weird.
  • Also, it would be nice if the shield moved along with player.
  • @FanieG:

Ah yes...balancing ^^

hehe thanks for taking the time to play through it and dropping a comment

lighting = far from done

Actually the difficulty curve is linear (I haz math to prove it...) but I also find it quite hard =P (NERF IN COMING!!!!!)

The shield is supposed to stay where you deploy it (later addition will be an following, but short lived, shield) as it adds an 'tactical' element to the game.
  • All right major update

Added:
    -Main menu
    -Added an ability (different type of shield[Following])
    -Working boundaries
    -Speed limit

Todo:
    -More debris
    -Mesh glitches
    -JUICE
    -etc.

updated version (also up top):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.3/CSFT.html

ps
    Any suggestions for an better name?
    Also please let me know what you guys think (C&C)
  • Wow that was pretty epic! The idea and the design is amazing :) Its fun, but I personally would like the ship to be more responsive :P

Good job!
  • edited
    Sweet little game!

- I liked how the spacestation gets closer
    - You need a warp starfield to help the sense of speed (
    )
    - The ship was VERY unresponsive which makes for getting bored fast - this is fine if you intend to up the ship's manoeuvrability with powerups. However:
    - I missed the first blue powerup, but when I got the next one (which was a very long time away) it didnt seem to do anything to me...
  • @SquigyXD - nice update. I agree with @Nitrogen on the warp starfield, but disagree with the unresponsive ship. I like that it feels heavy and clunky. I think if you made it too responsive the game will become too easy. However, the powerups could be an elegant way around this. Powerups could be closer together.
  • Yeah, the unresponsive ship isnt too much of an issue for me, but I think it would become tedious after the first few minutes.

Also, it's difficult to tell how close or far the debris and powerups are away from you - whether you will hit them or not. I'm not sure how to solve that particular problem, and I see you've put in the headlight for this reason.
    The headlight works perfectly for stuff straight in front of you, but you're normally dodging so things at the sides which are you greatest concern are not lit up at all...
  • @ALL:
    Thanks for taking the time to play and comment.

@RickyGC :
    Ya me to, right now there is a velocity limit to prevent the spaceship to fly/glitch through the boundaries (Still need to fix that). This is what gives the sluggish feeling to it

@Nitrogen :
    STAR-FIELDS, GENIUS!!! I'll get right on that ^^
    I'm thinking of adding a smaller (maybe unlock-able?) ship, that it considerably more maneuverable...but has almost no health (like in 1 bar).

@FanieG:
    I agree, the power ups need to be closer too each other, right now they are just there for testing. Will need to add a few more varieties to the abilities (then there will be more power-ups available more regularly)

In general, how is the difficulty increase pace? Any good. Should it become more hectic at the end, or less (I've been playing it so much I've lost the 'beginner' ability...so it might be a bit hectic =P )
    And again thanks for taking the time.

Also in terms of the debris at your side...I have a cunning plan ;)

Stay tuned for more updates
  • adding a smaller (maybe unlock-able?) ship,
    More than 1 ship will be AWESOME!!!!!!
    In general, how is the difficulty increase pace?
    Since the game ends after 5 minutes, you should probably aim for difficulty ramping up by 20% per minute that passes. At the moment it has a very quick curve, so only the 1st minute is easy, then it is insane for the last 4 minutes. But it might just be my crappy motor skills :)
  • I'd actually suggest making the game shorter. The fact that it needs to end in five minutes doesn't mean that it has to take five whole minutes :) This would also allow your top tier of difficulty to be much more intense because it would be shorter (save your shields, etc).

I also really like the "heavy" feeling of the ship and I like the momentum and acceleration play, I feel that this sort of thing could be exaggerated even more to make it part of the fun (balancing the difficulty appropriately, I suppose).

But yeah, regarding the other end of the difficulty curve ... it may need to be more difficult to start with. For the first minute or so I find myself flying around while only making occasional course adjustments. That's a problem for me. :P
  • Update

Added:
    -Stack-able abilities
    -Update the responsiveness of the ship
    -Wall glitch fixed
    -Missile ability added
    -Star-field added

Todo:
    -Fix ability token rotation
    -More abilities
    -more ships
    -spaceship hangar
    -MOAR JUICE

Updated version (Also up top):
    Web:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.4/CSFT.html
    Linux:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.4/CSFT.zip

C&C welcome
  • edited
    @SquigyXD - New features are cool. Difficulty curve also seems better. I was able to last until 1:32 left (a new record for me :) ) The missiles were very handy and I like the Idea of stackable abilities. Except for the things you already have planned for the game i.e. more ships, abilities and Juice etc. I really don't have anymore crit to give. Maybe, a highscore table that shows how close you got to ship/long you survived. You have my vote as "best of Comp" so far. Think it is going to be interesting to see what else you can add before the deadline. If I can be so brave as to suggest a power-up. A cloaking device that allows debris to travel through you while activated.

Also, I chuckled at the Mass Effect reference on some of the debris. Nice touch.
  • @FanieG:
    Um...wow...I'm kinda flattered. Thanks man. Wow... XD

I'll try and continue to amaze ;)

High-score/score system are in the books of too come (just playing around with a few ideas before implementing) .

I'll consider the 'cloak' thing ^^

Nice catch on the ref =P
  • Ok update before I pass out (it's early i know shuddup =P )

Release v1.5.1
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.5.1/CSFT.html

Added/Fixed:
    -Ability token spawn rotation
    -Ship "selection"
    -A new ship and unlock condition...Good luck ;)
    -Autosave system ^^
    -New station in distance

Todo/Known bugs:
    -Fix win to menu scene change bug (just reload for now the Autosave will save if you finished the prereq for unlock)
    -more bug fixing
    -Menu beef up
    -textures
    -screen shake when hit by asteroid
    -asteroid hit sound
    -MOAR JUICE!!!!!!!!!
    -More abilities
    -etc etc etc

And as always C&C apreciated
  • UPDATES YAY ^^
    Screen grabs updated uptop

ADDED:
    -Better music done by @Gibbo
    -3rd ship
    -A credits wall
    -Fixed some menu errors
    -Close debris highlight
    -Ability count down timer
    -some stability issues fixed

Todo:
    -Interactive score system
    -more abilities
    -general polish and texturing
    -some more polish
    -MOAR JUICE!!!!

Web build
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.6/CS/CS.html

Any comments, suggestions, praises, donations and eligible girls are welcome =P
  • @SquigyXD - Love the "Deus Ex Like" outlines around the debris. How did you do that? The Mossi is awesome (shamefully could not unlock it in earlier build), the Hippo is useless. It's just too big. Something is messed up with my earphones so unfortunately cannot give any crit on the music.
  • @Gibbo - Okay got my headset working again. That score is awesome and it is paced quite well with the in-game action. Most Muso's composing for this comp will probably have the intensity of the music increasing over the 5 minutes, so I was really suprised (pleasantly) that you decided to slow it down again about 3 minutes in. Nice. Another thing I liked (don't know if it was intentional) is that when the music peaked, so that it was harder to hear the "Phsssst" of the ships thrusters, the music had a similar sounding sample in it. If that makes sense at all.
  • @SquigyXD: Looking good, and like the choice of spacecraft! I'm still terrible at this though, even with the outlines I still get caught by debris pretty early on XD

@FanieG: Thanks man, yeah I was originally going to just keep things building up but found it got a bit boring, so added a bit of breathing space in the middle. Imitating the "phsst" sound was definitely unintentional but glad it works :)
  • Ok yet another small update (small as in not a lot you can see, but in the back ground I had to pull some trickery =P )

Changes:
    -Mozzi and hippo ship redesign
    -Hippo control improvement
    -"Score" system added
    -Optimized a few custom shaders
    -Added some badassness

Latest version (also uptop)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.6.2/CS.html

Any suggestions? Improvements? Additions?
    Enjoy ^^
  • FIrst off what I liked. The new HUD elements are really cool. nice to have an indication of how far from the ship you are. Hippo is much better (shape but not controls). Hippos seems to be a bad choice. Maybe it would be better if you racked up its armour even more. I feel players will never choose it unless there is some more significant incentive. Score system also nice, but I noticed that it continues counting after you explode. How do you get that Deus Ex outline effect. I'm guessing it a outline shader that gets activated if the debris is a certain distance from the player? I can think of like a dozen other games that could use that mechanic (including my own) so i'm really curious how you achieved it. Also, have you considered porting this game for touch devices. I think this mechanic would favour that (or maybe I would just like to jam this at work :) ). Are you considering adding anything else before deadline?
  • edited
    I tried commeting on my tablet, doesnt work. Will give feedback later today (dam I'm tierd)
  • Alright

@FanieG
    Thanks, the HUD is still very experimental.
    All the ship still need some tweaking I agree (the scoring system is based on the space craft, i.e. Mozzi 1x, Badger 2x, Hippo 3x the score).
    The scoring system that continues even if you dies...oops, thanks for letting me know about that one.
    The outlining shader pretty much works like you've guessed. It's a combination (if not a Frankenstein's monster of a code) of other peoples code that I altered to do my bidding so I'm totally willing to share: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/Unity code share/Outlined.zip (just ahve the shader in your assets folder and add the script to the object to be outlined)
    Porting to touch devices...hmm...if time permits sure ^^
    As of right now (other than a laser ability) i'm not adding any thing else until I have ironed out what I currently already have.

Thanks for taking the time/interesting to play my game ^^
  • edited
    Alright final release

So i ran out of time (I still have to go and register to vote, and we have family friend over later today...so available time is up)...to be expected (I tried to do too much ^^), so a lot of the textures and sounds (and code, and balancing, and....) are still a bit experimental. Anyhow, enjoy!!! ^^

Essentially finalized background code and balancing
    Added some more juice
    Score system kinda works now (Tried online score system...wouldn't be able to implement before timeout)
    Made the outline an ability
    Added 'space road'
    Added a few surprises
    Added a what even is menu

Web build
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132954238/CSFT/v1.7%20(Comp%20Release)/CS.html

Post Note:
    Really learnt a lot during the development of this (So major win there). Now that I look back, to me it doesn't feel like I have placed enough emphases on the 5min restriction (even from main menu to completion is under 5min). So for the net comp I'll definitely try and concentrate on the restriction some more.

Also a big thanks to all who have played, commented and supported me during the development of this project. And to my competition...may the best game win ^^.
    Thanked by 1Gibbo
  • edited
    Your link is broken :--/