D: Boost

Hey guys uhm this is my first semi complete project for a comp (don't work to well with deadlines or finishing games) but pushing through it now, hope the game is ok.

You control a space ship that cannot stop and all you can control is the left and right movement, it also does not stop going left or right until you press the opposite button.

Any and all comments are welcome :)

Controls:
A for move left and D for move right.

Possible Improvements:
Need to put in a menu and maybe option screen. -> Done but decided against options(not needed)
Power ups to make your ship move slower or faster.
Power up to make your ship phase so it cannot crash.
I hope to put in comedy clips to make it light hearted.

Known bugs:
After crashing into a wall and the flicker animation stops the ship might stay white.
If you work the buttons right you can take the ship out of the screen. ->Fixed

Added:
Moving Backgrounds. -- 0.0.2
New Icon. -- 0.0.2

Here is the link: -- 1.6MB Download

Boost.rar 0.0.3 - Windows Build -> New
Boost.rar 0.0.2 - Windows Build -> New
Boost.rar 0.0.1 - Windows Build
Thanked by 1hanli

Comments

• Sorry no one commented earlier! We've all been overwhelmed by the number of entries this week :D.

This is a cool little entry for your first time :D.

It feels really slow at the moment - I'd prefer to have it be much quicker with less density of objects than slow with a higher density.

Perhaps you can add a small diversity to objects in the player's path? You have fast flying enemies or asteriods etc.

If you changed up the variety of enemies you could add a weapon that activates when you press A and D at the same time, and blasts objects out of the way.

Hopefully you can implement some changes before the deadline! :)
  • edited
    @Bensonance Thanks for having a look! Was felling a bit beaten when no one replied :P You can see it's my firts lol, I wanted to add more diversity but didn't get around to it, the game feels alot worse for the lack of deversity for me personaly, well at least I tried, next game for a comp will be alot better :) learned alot from this one though.
    Thanked by 2Bensonance Tuism
  • Learning from the process is all that's needed :).

You should take a look at this video that's thrown around quite often on this forum, as it's quite valuable to beginners:

If you try implement the concept of juicing, your next game will jump up in quality :).
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • It actually looks pretty good - though I fear that there was too much on the art and not enough in the mechanics...! As @Bensonance said, it should be faster - the whole appeal of this type of game is speed and twitch-dodging! Some sort of defensive attack would be great yeah.

And all kinds of player feedback would be great - like crashing into something, when you manage to dodge something, etc. It doesn't have to be pretty graphics, but some simple-to-implement (I say that but a simple copy-pasta screen shake also took me a while to learn) juice will help a lot towards communicating what the game should be communicating!

It's great as a practice game :)

I crashed once just to see what happens, and the ship kept flashing - not sure how long it was supposed to stay invulnerable for, but it didn't seem to stop being invulnerable...
  • edited
    @Bensonance Thanks I'll have a look when I'm home from my nightshift! Always ways to improve apon myself and my methods :D

@Tuism I agree, I felt it needed alot more play content than visual prittyness, next time I'll keep my eyes open for the new contest, will do better with an extra 2 weeks :P. mmmm new bug, will check it out tomorrow and fix

@All What do you guys do with your comp games? Stash em, Trash em or Devolop em a bit further?
  • I'm sorry I didn't get to this before deadline. :(

What you do with the game is up to you! Some folks like where they were going and keep working on them based on the feedback they got. Some lock them away in the Cave of Forgotten Prototypes and never touch them again. I like to save mine for reference. I have almost every game I've written since 2006 sitting on my drive, and many's the time I've gone back to previous projects to nick some useful code I wrote or relook some gameplay I've implemented before.

Regardless, XP is XP. Take those juicy, priceless learnings from building this and use it to inform your next games. :3