[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 31 July 2013

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 31 July

Where: Microsoft offices, Engen building 2nd floor, Golf Park, Mowbray. https://maps.google.co.za/maps?q=-33.947185,18.4914

Content:
- Introductions
- Community News
- Screwy Lightbulb demos - Maker's Eden
- Thoopid demos - Snailboy
- Tasty Poison demos - Neon Shadow
- Open floor (Anyone may step up and present their games)
- Your presentation/talk/game here

Calling for content!

Comments

• I'm going to try and reach out to the people behind Maker's Eden and see if we can maybe get them to demo their game.

Anyone have any ideas for talks or things they'd like to see covered?
  • Via the MGSA Twitter page I managed to contact the Pleasant Co Games people - the ones who just Kickstarted their boardgame, Ancient Terrible Things (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pleasantcompanygames/ancient-terrible-things?ref=live). They seemed pretty keen to bring a copy of the game and, if you coupled this with a talk on how to kickstart something from SA, it could be quite interesting. I'll reach out again if anyone finds this interesting?

Also, Lauren Beukes said she could probably print out a demo copy of The Shining Girls card game for you guys. It could also be interesting to get a talk on Designing Analogue Games to Capture a Book's Atmosphere/Essence. Again, if there is interest I'll reach out to the three people who made the game to see if it is possible. But this one is less of a sure thing than the Ancient Terrible Things Talk.

Thoughts?
  • Hallo! Del here, one of The Maker's Eden motley crew ^.^ Jaco (the dev) and I live together in Gordon's Bay, so we're close to Cape Town and will definitely come along and show off the game and talk about stuff :) The artist lives in George, so a bit far for him - and the musician lives in America so even further :D But we'll be there.

As for the proposed talk about 'how to KS something from South Africa' - really interested. We looked into the possibility before crowdfunding our game, and it just seemed like such a hassle - setting up a beneficiary account in the states, dealing with the whole 'offshore money' thing, or having to rely on someone else to collect the funds and then them dealing with the tax implications, so we just went IGG - and we're positive we'd have been funded by now if we were on Kickstarter just because in the huge popularity of the platform.

Anyway, yeah, we'll be there :) Thanks for the invite!
  • @Bensonance I would love to hear from the Pleasant Co Games people :) Have been hearing a lot about their game, and how they got it on Kickstarter, from a number of different sources and I would be very interested in meeting with them and hearing what they have to say.
  • Welcome @WelshPixie! Glad my super-random tweet worked :) Would love to have you two talk us through the game, it's development so far and where you're headed with it. Doesn't have to be anything epic - 15-20 minutes is brilliant. I'm sure you can talk about your game that much off the cuff anyway ;)

Seconded on the Pleasant Co Games Kickstartering talk!

Would love it if we had a ton of new speakers this month :D
  • I am back in the Cape for this and super excited!! honestly enjoy the events so much, will be bringing my girlfriend along so she can see the exciting world of game Dev :)
  • I should ask - will there be a PC hooked up for showing stuff off shall I bring mine - will my LAN case finally have its chance to be useful? :D
  • There are usually a couple of reasonably-high end laptops that make it to the meetup, so if you don't want to schelp your whole PC it's easier to make sure whatever you want to show works off a memory stick :)

My laptop, though only mid-range, will be there.
  • Might bring my PC just so that I can say "See, isn't it a good job I bought a LAN case?" >.< It does work off a stick though! \o/
  • The guys from Thoopid will be attending to talk about our game "Snailboy". See you guys there!
  • I was wondering if anyone would or could talk about how they went about selling there game on Android / iStore and Kickstart(getting a project on kickstart), as I have been doing alot of reading lately about the different options and Android doesn't allow you to sell from SA as we arn't on there market place listing, and Kickstart you have to live in the UK or America. Would be great to hear about how people have successfully gotten products onto them, going through the legit channels.
  • For what it's worth, I believe that IndieGoGo is open to people from South Africa; while it seems that it's neither gets as much attention nor tends to bring in as much money as Kickstarter, IndieGoGo nevertheless looks quite viable under some circumstances, at least.

Nevertheless, I'd love to find out how others have managed to tart up Kickstarter campaigns.

On a partially-related note, since I'm not likely to be at the community night, I would like to ask: will videos of the talks be released, by any chance?
  • @Thaumaturge, Yes the videos of most of the talks should go up about a week after the meeting to MGSA's Youtube channel (we've only recently got into the habit of recording the talks, those that we have done can be seen here.

@rumor In terms of Kickstarter the few SA projects that have gone up there usually partner up with a US or UK based publisher/company/person. I wasn't aware you couldn't list on android, but I know it is possible to do on the iStore by creating a dev account (of course you won't be able to sell in the SA iStore since it doesn't have a "game" category yet)
  • edited
    Hellooo, us here at Tasty Poison Games would like to show off Neon Shadow to everyone! (hopeing to demo split-screen co-op and deathmatch, otherwise we'll def show the singleplayer). So like... be prepared for that n' stuff :D
  • Hey hey, where did the Clash demo come from? 4 games is a full evening :)
  • @dislekcia got a note from one of the team members that they'd be presenting, so I added them on ;)
  • Clash demo
    Well it's about damn time! /cigar :D
    Thanked by 1Gibbo
  • Hi All

Really keen to demo our game, Fleet of One, that actually went live yesterday. www.fleetofone.com

any interest?
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Hey guys, sorry 'bout this but can we move the Clash demo out to next month's meet? There are plans afoot to showcase more than what would've been available for next week.

Looks like we're well covered for game demos this month anyway :)
  • @Gibbo Cool, will update the agenda
    Thanked by 1Gibbo
  • I'm bringing the latest iteration of MMMA (now Franken Fight) if anyone wants to hangaround afterwards and have a quick game :)
  • I'll be there! Yes, I'm still alive, just shy and awkward at inopportune times!
  • I'm definitely there ^^
  • I will be making this one this time.
  • 3-4 of us are also coming, cannot wait to meet the CPT community. Hope Dave Russel makes an appearance, saw him early in the morn at Tech Ed 2013 in Durban and it was inspiring stuff...
  • Ergh, correction, don't think we'll be able to make tonight, Ben's got some work to finish. +_+
  • OMG, so many people at the meetup. I have pics, but I'm tired as hell right now. Will twoot them tomorrow.
  • Someone left a logitech mouse at the meetup, pm me if you want it back.
  • Great attendance indeed, let's keep it up... also thanks to all who presented!
  • "build it and they will come..."
  • Thanks for all the feedback everyone. We have already started implementing your suggestions and be sure to see a more solid game the next time we present it :D
  • Anyone remember the link for the point and click demo? Really want to try that one out...
  • edited
    IM welshpixie

BTW where are the pics ?
  • Also to who should I send My 1/3 of the video recorded to?

And where is that awesome board game's thread so that once it's done I can push the 'proto' ipad board?
  • edited
    Oops, I see @dislekcia got there first... Nothing to see here! *whistle*
  • @WelshPixie: Really enjoyed the demo though I accidentally clicked through a screen of dialogue without reading it and then didn't really understand the puzzle I solved...just wondering if there is any way to go back through dialogue in case you missed something? (I almost forgot my number from the first conversation so that was problematic too...)
  • @dammit There's not, but we will be making that number puzzle easier - there's something we need to add to the first room that didn't make it in for the demo >.< I'll tell Jaco about the dialogue suggestion, see what he says :)
  • Might be an idea to have a journal that summarises specific information you learn about puzzles like that? Or maybe you could have a custom dialog button option during puzzle solving that would be your character "remembering" the relevant parts of what was said?
  • Yeah, I was thinking that we could add a 'mental notes' journal thing that we could put in that takes down relevant info in a non-immersion-breaking way. We've pondered that when some of the first people got stuck just after we released the demo - I think it's a nice idea.