GRAV [Prototype/WIP/^^]

edited in Projects
Greetings makegamsSA, this is my first post so take care of me ^^

(*Presenter voice with echo effect) "LADIES AND GENTLEMAN! I PRESENT TO YOU...(pause for effect)...GRAV
[img]image

Created by me (aka SquigyXD [CEO, founder and sole member]) and my little company

OK, so Im gonna keep this short and sweet.
There are 2 basic game Mechanics.
1) Fight over gravity (Hence name)
2) Fight with music

It is a 3rd person fast paced, gravity defying team game.
Interested? Good.

1) Fight over gravity

Ok, so this is the defining feature of the game. The whole world is centered around a cube that allows the team that controls it to point gravity in the direction they desire (even destroy it). This is used to make an golden record (like in vinyl) reach their teams side (think cart pushing/king of the hill...with a twist)

2) Fight with music

There are two teams Metaloid and Electroloids, each competing for the golden record. They have guns that fire their respective music genre and with this they slay their foes and retrieve their duly rewards ^^ (oh and they have melee weapons for when they want to get into each others faces)

Unlike most games where the game environment is pretty much set as in whats floor wall and ceiling in this game the wall can become the floor, then the ceiling in a matter of seconds thus the environment is designed to create an everchanging 3D battlefield

So here is all I can show for now (as the pre-alpha [core game mechanics] is not working yet). So as an apology/I have too much time now that I am on vac I made you guys a special compilation/poster of all the sketches I have till thus far.

You ready? You sure? OK...TADAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Through this thread I'll ask for your guys opinion/tips/help...so don't be stingy ^^
Thanked by 1hanli

Comments

• edited
    Well done on presentation, but I guess everyone else will say the same thing - show us gameplay, even if it's not pretty :) Because opinions/tips/help on some words and sketches won't help anything ;)

Welcome onboard :)
  • I love the idea of fighting with music. I'm wondering how you plan to implement that?

The scope of your idea does sound pretty big, and I have no idea how much experience etc you have. If you don't have a ton of experience maybe you could prototype these ideas first as separate games (like a simple top down music vs music game, and then a gravity rotating battlefield 3rd person runner).

There are some talented musicians that occasionally show their faces on these forums. I'm sure if you build a fun framework for a music battle you could get some help from them (unless music is a specialty of yours and you're excited to do it all yourself).

Gravity can be a wonderful and disorientating thing to play with!

I'd love to see some little prototypes of what you're thinking. The earlier stage the better. Showing every little bit you do is the best way to get feedback and learn fast. (assuming you're not an expert already)

Welcome to MakeGames :)

• Thanks guys for the warm welcome ^^

@Tuism:
    Thanks man. Ya, I knew I should have added at least one game play/concept vid in...but it's not working yet. Mostly my fault as I'm trying to do everything at once instead of clearing one concept at a time.

@BlackShipsFilltheSky:
    Ya the scope is quite big, and I don't have much experience. But that is what makes all this that more exciting. I'm currently working on the 3rd person-gravity controller aspect...which is proving to be an worthy adversary. In terms of musicians I'm quite open so I might just as them for some help (though I can make some on my own, so no train smash there)

I'll try to at least release a video today on how the character moves around with the basic movement script (still working out the kinks).
  • I'm looking forward to seeing how you plan on implementing the gravity stuff. There was this game that came out ages ago, where you had a 'heavy ball' that was hanging from the bottom of your ship, and the gravity in the room constantly shifted, with you having to correct it as you worked through mazes.

Probably not really applicable...I'm just rambling here.

Welcome!
  • @Chris_Bischoff:
    Hehe me too o_O
    Sounds like an interesting game (I'm actually gonna look it up now =\)

Any hoo, does anyone now of a decent video capturing tool that I can use with Unity?
  • Glad to see your registration was sorted Squigy, and welcome!

Will also be cool to see what you've got going on with that 3D printer once it's up and running ;)
  • @SquigyXD I don't know any free capturing tools. We use Frapps, which is a wonderful little program, no mess no fuss just perfect capturing, it costs just under R400.
  • @Gibbo:
    Ya no, Alls well ^^
    I'm also excited about the printer ^^

@BlackShipsFilltheSky:
    Cool I'll give it a look

@HUMANITY:
    Just a turn table of a pre pre Alpha version of one of the characters (Metaloids) [It's only 5 seconds long...so don't expect a pixar movie =P )

• Is the movie meant to be private? Sadly I just get snow :(
  • oh sheeeeet....I'll fix that
    Soz

Should be better now
  • Working now.

You planning to roll the tracks and bearing on his feet while he moves? Like the simplistic Wall-e shape.
  • Sweet

Ya
    It cuts off some of that dreaded animation for the legs ^^ as well as adds some character to them
  • Smart,

Could texture animate the feet would mean you need two textures though.
  • @tbulford:
    I'd like to think so ^^
    That's the least of my problems

@HUMANITY:
    LADIES AND GENTLEMAN! I PRESENT TO YOU, PROBLEM SET Num1
  • Noisia solves everything : )

Nice work so far!
  • Well done at picking that up ^^
    tnx
  • Hehe, looking good. Is the music a placeholder or stuff you've created?
  • music of the guns are place holders

the music in the player test is something I concocted while learning Ableton (Only temp then)
  • Ok so while I was researching on why the hell things are not working as they are supposed to I came apon these two gems for unity engine

http://unitygems.com/mistakes1/
    http://www.unity3dstudent.com/
  • Good news everyone. I got the game to a point where I am actually ok at releasing it to you guys to play away ^^.
    Um...there is still a lot to do, but I thought you okes might be interested to actually try and play the game.

Um so ya here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fa656vpxg2yx2p/Grav Alpha v0.0.1.rar

Everything you see is temp/place holders.

WASD = move
    space = jump and jet pack (doesn't recharge yet...so use wisely)

L-Mouse = fire weapon

shoot the cube in middle and watch as gravity changes accordingly (pro tip: gravity in direction of arrows) [Also character does not turn accordingly...yet]

sorry no multiplayer yet.

Enjoy

Ps
    If anybody knows how to limit the cube only to rotate 90 degrees at a time in unity - javascript...please feel free to share your knowledge ^^
  • edited
    "Oh look an update!" said a little boy pointing of into the distance.

"What?" said his mother, squinting just to catch a glimpse of this update that her son speaks of. "Don't be daft honey. There's nothing there."

"But mommmmmm........."

When suddenly the ground shook, and with an emasculate chorus angels sang out as the foretold update floated down like a rock. Hitting the ground with the thud, causing further damage to the surroundings after the effect of the earthquake.

As the dust settled a veiw brave souls ventured out to see the cause of all this commotion to find:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqsdks1lpl005mz/Grav%20Alpha%20v0.0.2.rar

^^
    Sup guys (and girls, don't wana discriminate), I give you update number 2.

Day before I return to varsity, so I think it is great timing.

On to the update:

-Biggest update would be that I changed the whole control scheme from 3rd to 1st person. I recently (like in 3 days ago) played RememberMe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_Me_(video_game). Essentially a 3rd person action game thing. And although the 3rd person allows you to show off the surroundings and character It really struggles in combat and confined spaces such as corridors (As in the player becomes confused). So I spent the past 3 days switching it all to a FPS controller for the characters. Other than that I was also having problems with the rotation of the character according to the gravity with the 3rd person controller where as with the 1st person controller it kinda works.

-Control Cube: The gravity now actually is in the direction of the arrow of the cube. The current way of rotating the cube is still a bit rigid, so that still needs some work.

- Weapons: Guns: Now "modular". Different sounds can be added for different fire types (like in higher rate of fire etc). VERY basic visualization also added.

-No change on the models, textures or animations

To come:

-Multiplayer
    -First of about 3+ game-modes (mode detail will be given closer on implementation)
    -An actual game map (and environment 'events'...also to be explained colser to implementation)
    -Melee
    -HUD (General look and feel to be finalized)[currently working on this]

Playable
    The basics work but the rotation of character is still a bit buggy, there is no animations,jetpack does not refuel, etc....Still early in dev.

The DL link is above but here is it again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqsdks1lpl005mz/Grav%20Alpha%20v0.0.2.rar

Controls:
    WASD - move
    Space - jump + jetpack
    left mouse - fire gun
    U - weapon mode 0 (toggle)
    I - weapon mode 1 (toggle)
    O - weapon mode 2 (toggle)
    P - weapon mode 3 (toggle)

Please keep in mind there are quite a few bugs still, but I'd like to here from you guy's what you all think of it all till thus far^^

Enjoy

PS
    Just let me know if you okes can in fact Download the game from the link and/or I need to change file hosting
  • Al right

Woot no updates ... o_O wait, WOT?

Sorry for the lack of action guys, uni is a bit hectic'er than expected. Been working on it in my of times.

And that leads me to my question. Does anyone know how to replicate an similar effect to what saints row 4 are using for the dubstep gun (In unity of course)

Any ideas? Because the current "Bullets" don't tickle my fancy.
  • Hmm... What part of the effect are you uncertain about? The beams? The dancing? The hit-detection? Something else?

I'll note that the Dubstep Gun looks as though it would likely be a lot of fun for the user, but somewhat unpleasant for the person hit if there's no way to break it: having one's ability to act removed can be very frustrating in a game, I feel.
  • Oh soz for the confusion
    I'm talking about the visuals that the gun fires (derp)
  • Ah, fair enough.

I don't have Unity in front of me, and it's been some time since last I used it, so I'm not in a position to give specific advice, I fear. I may also be very much incorrect in the following suggestion.

That said, and speaking in broad strokes, I imagine the the "beams" are likely just axially-billboarded chains of quads, with the curves produced by defining a line to target and then using some function -- sine, cosine or some combination, perhaps with a scalar or two added in to vary the curve size -- to produce the deviation from the central line.

Put otherwise, define a line between the gun and the target. Then, for each desired "beam", use an appropriate function to define the "beam's" offset from the line, with a (likely random) angular offset so that they curve in different directions. Use this function to define a chain of quads, and apply an axial-billboard effect to it; these last two steps may be something that Unity can provide for you -- I'm not sure, I'm afraid.

There are a few other effects in there, from what I see, but that seems to be the main one, and I suspect that the others may be little more than billboarded sprites.