Transferring saved data files between computers

So I am creating an incredible machines inspired game as a final project for a game design course. In the game I have created an in-game level editor to allow the players to build their own levels in the game. However, I have also used this level editor to build the main levels for the game.

The problem comes in when I save the level, as the serialized file is saved to my computer and not to the game. This means that these levels wont appear if the game is run on another computer. Is there anyway that i can transfer the level files in the data files of the game? Maybe an install that installs these level files to the computer. I have been racking my brains for days trying to figure this out.

Thanks for any help
Ronan

Comments

• edited
    Where are you currently storing your saved levels/files to? Also what are you using to create the game?

If you are using unity, look at one of these and pick one that will work: Application.dataPath
    Application.streamingAssetsPath

Whichever one you choose, just paste/save your levels to the specified folder (perhaps in a game_levels subfolder), and if you copy your built game the levels will go along.

However, I feel the above would fit well for user generated levels maybe, but for the prebundled game levels, I'd include the serialized levels as assets in Unity directly.
    Thanked by 1Rcon26
  • Wow, I cant believe the idea of saving the serialized levels as assets never occurred to me. Thank you very much for your help!
    Thanked by 1vince