rAge Cape Town cancelled

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gaming/202358-rage-cape-town-cancelled.html

rAge Cape Town 2017 has been cancelled.

“It is with regret that the organisers of rAge have announced today that the show’s Cape Town leg – due to take place from 27 to 29 April – has been cancelled,” said the organisers.
Michael James, owner of rAge, said “financial and logistical concerns mean that we cannot in good conscience run a rAge event in the Cape”.

This was due to the possibility of potentially disappointing the “valued gaming community.”
“Last year, we said that our intention was to improve rAge Cape Town with more games, new technology, and cool things to see.”

“After much hard work, we’ve come to a point where there isn’t sufficient financial support and commitment towards the event to make this a reality,” said James.

Part of the problem was hosting a bigger NAG LAN in Cape Town, which “hit a brick wall”.
“The only way to make a LAN possible would be with a significant cash investment.”
“Without a significantly improved LAN offering… we don’t feel confident that rAge Cape Town would deliver the awesome show we always strive to put on.”

Those who bought tickets for rAge Cape Town will be able to get a refund from Computicket.
rAge Johannesburg will take place on 6 to 8 October 2017 at the Ticketpro Dome.

Comments

• It was utterly stupid to have it on the same weekend as Fancon (which, last year, looked like an extremely successful show, and would totally be getting my support again if I were in CT).
  • Ouch, that's quite a nail in that operation. I think visitor support was never the problem - you can tell that most of their income comes from exhibitors and the LAN, and it seems like LANs are just not big enough in CT. I wonder how JHB's rage LAN is still a big deal. So either they have serious venue/space problems in CT or there's just not enough takers for LAN, or exhibitors aren't keen on forking out twice a year for rAge.

This year's Fancon overlaps with AfrikaBurn... Not that it matters to most of us, but I'm attending *that*.